Mixing brake fluid Brands | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mixing brake fluid Brands

xX-GMan-Xx

Site Supporter
I know its not recommended to mix DOT-3 with DOT-4, but can I mix brake fluid brands?
I got my bike brand new and didn't check with the dealer what brake fluid they used. As the fluid level is running low how can I top it up?

I know its not recommended to mix DOT-3 with DOT-4, but can I mix brake fluid brands?
I got my bike brand new and didn't check with the dealer what brake fluid they used. As the fluid level is running low how can I top it up?
If the fluid is low and not leaking, then as stated your pads are prob. Toast. If you fill now then replace pads after, you will have to remove fluid from the res. To make room for the new pads.

Its a brand new bike, only 3000 Kms on it. I doubt the brake pads are gone. Maybe I should get any leaks checked but then again I doubt that may be the case.

How much would it cost to get the brakes flushed? I don't mind doing it myself but I don't have the vaccum pump / proper equipment.

What the hell. You can mic dot vrake fluids but the grade u mic with cannot be lower than what is stated on your mc. Different grade has different boiling point so of your mc takes 4 use 4 because using 3 will cause the fluid to boil and cause your brake system to pooch.

U can mix different brands. They all meet the dot standard.

If your fluids are low then it can either be worn out pads or your mc reservoir wasnt topped off. Since ur bike is new it prob wasnt topped off as i dont think your bike would come with toasted pads.

The internets should tell you how. Vacuum/pressure bleeding is easier and faster, but old school pump/crack bleeder/close bleeder/release still works.

On a street bike which is that new, just top it up with any brake fluid having the same DOT number as the book calls for.

The chemical composition of brake fluid is so tightly regulated that there is no issue with mixing brands, because it is all compatible.

Thanx Guys, much appreciate your help.

As it turns out mixing brands is no issue as long as the DOT # is the same. I was also confused about synthetic and non-synthetic fluids, but it turns out anything below DOT-5 is non-synthetic.

@GreyGhost: I don't mind doing pump/crack bleeder/close bleeder/release.... But my ADHD kicks in pretty fast. :) I guess I'm better off ordering a bleeder kit from eBay..

You can mix DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 with each other. You cannot mix DOT 5 with anything other than DOT 5. Brands don't really matter, unless you are using a non-DOT racing brake fluid... in which case you hopefully already know what you are doing.

Also, the minimum grade of brake fluid you should use is stamped on the brake fluid reservoir cover. 99% of the time, it is DOT 4.

I don't mind doing pump/crack bleeder/close bleeder/release.... But my ADHD kicks in pretty fast.

Its actually pretty fast to do motorcycle brakes. 1 wrench, 2 feet of tubing, a scrap container to hold the used fluid, 1 beer and about 10 minutes of time.

Edit: As stated above and because it is worth repeating....do NOT mix DOT 5 with anything other then DOT 5. You do not want that mess to clean up.

Its actually pretty fast to do motorcycle brakes. 1 wrench, 2 feet of tubing, a scrap container to hold the used fluid, 1 beer and about 10 minutes of time.

Edit: As stated above and because it is worth repeating....do NOT mix DOT 5 with anything other then DOT 5. You do not want that mess to clean up.

Unless your bike has a Honda CBS system, in that case it takes quite a bit longer lol.

This isn't too bad I guess.

I was thinking of a vac bleeder.
bbk70856.jpg

Now that's more like it. For $35 it would be worth it. But who pays $100 to bleed brakes? I'll do it for $80....lol

Back
Top Bottom