DOT Sticker Required for M Road Test? | GTAMotorcycle.com

DOT Sticker Required for M Road Test?

TheMenacE

Hey everyone,

I have always removed the dot sticker on the back on my helmets; I feel they look cleaner and it doesn't block the graphics.

I have a shoei rf1100, with the sticker removed from the outside shell, but it does still have the interior sticker with the dot serial number on it.

Will I be alright when I go take my M road test in a couple weeks?

Does anyone have experience on this?

As long as the helmet meets the hta requirement. It never said anything about the safety standard being visible.

As long as the helmet meets the hta requirement. It never said anything about the safety standard being visible.
I think you're wrong there. To meet DOT regulation you need a sticker. To ride on the roads in Ontario, your helmet need to meet the DOT regulations (or others), therefore you need a DOT sticker. Will they give you a hassle? I doubt it.
DOT Sticker Helmets that meet FMVSS 218 must have a sticker on the outside back of the helmet with the letters “DOT,” which certifies that the helmet meets or exceeds FMVSS 218. It is important to note that some novelty helmet sellers provide DOT stickers separately for motorcyclists to place on non-complying helmets. In this case, the DOT sticker is invalid and does not certify compliance.
The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. This symbol shall appear on the outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least 3/8 inch (1 cm) high, centered laterally with the horizontal centerline of the symbol located a minimum of 1 1/8 inches (2.9 cm) and a maximum of 1 3/8 inches (3.5 cm) from the bottom edge of the posterior portion of the helmet.

Last edited:
My guess is this is strongly dependent on who you get as a tester. One may not check, another may not care, another may refuse to administer the test.

Can't you buy dot stickers on eBay,? To avoid any potential problems, you could put one on before the test.

Good luck.

I'd have to check my 1100, but I thought that was either painted or or under the clearcoat.

Use a helmet that still has the sticker for the test and stop removing the stickers, or you may find out the hard way, at the roadside, that police take a dim view of helmets that don't properly indicate their certifications..

your helmet need to meet the DOT regulations (or others), therefore you need a DOT sticker.

You do not need a DOT helmet. My AGV GP-Tech came from Italy and is ECE rated. No DOT. It's perfectly legal here.

Plus there is no mention of DOT on the DriveTest or MTO websites.

Last edited:
Reread Splash's post it IS correct he says your helmet needs to be DOT or OTHER certification. ECE would be other certification. Now as for the OP's helmet it IS DOT certified, (the OP says it has the DOT label), so the DOT sticker must be affixed in Ontario.

Easiest solution borrow a helmet that has the sticker affixed, (do you really want to blow your fee if you get an examiner that feels he has too many roads tests booked that day and you just gave him a reason to drop one).

It says you MUST have an "approved helmet", (seeing this is a DOT helmet this means it must have the DOT sticker to qualify as an "approved helmet", show up without the DOT sticker and they can refuse your test.

Your confusing two seperate certifications a helmet that was ECE certified doesn't need a DOT sticker because it wasn't certified by DOT Just like we used to have UL and CSA stickers for items. An item that was only CSA certified didn't also have a UL symbol.

OP: As Rob said stop removing the stickers, your only giving the police a reason to stop you and potentially make you walk home, why bring the hassle upon yourself if your that concerned about a sticker then buy an ECE helmet without the DOT sticker.

You do not need a DOT helmet. My AGV GP-Tech came from Italy and is ECE rated. No DOT. It's perfectly legal here.

Yeah I misread that sentence. I do wonder if I'll ever get in trouble for my ECE helmet. There is nothing but a small circled "3" on the chinstrap to indicate ECE compliance. I doubt the average ON copper knows that that's kosher.

I doubt it would be an issue. BUT, if you really wanted piece of mind get the manufacturer to send you via email certification letter put it in zip lock bag and keep it with the bike.

Yeah I misread that sentence. I do wonder if I'll ever get in trouble for my ECE helmet. There is nothing but a small circled "3" on the chinstrap to indicate ECE compliance. I doubt the average ON copper knows that that's kosher.

When I did mine the tester specifically checked that my helmet was DOT. In all fairness it was an all black Bell full face that looked very snowmobile, he mentioned that is why he checked.

Thanks for all the info. In the future, I will definitely not take the dot sticker off the helmet. I'll bring my helmet along with my spare helmet (it's pink). If he says your helmet isn't a dot approves helmet, I'll where my pink one.

When I did mine the tester specifically checked that my helmet was DOT. In all fairness it was an all black Bell full face that looked very snowmobile, he mentioned that is why he checked.

Aren't snowmobile helmets DOT? i've seen some helmets that the only difference between the MC version and snowmobile version is the visor.

Aren't snowmobile helmets DOT? i've seen some helmets that the only difference between the MC version and snowmobile version is the visor.

Back in the day CT and other like stores sold ATV/snowmobile helmets that were cheap non-dot plastic deals. I think today they are pretty much all DOT today.

To be legal in Ontario, your helmet has to be certified by ONE (or more) of these:

Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
Snell Memorial Foundation (SNELL)
British Standards Institute (BSI)
United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (DOT)
United Nations Economic Commission (UNECE)

yes it does say DOT on the regulation site.

I was talking about the requirements for the M2 Exit test. Both DriveTest and the MTO merely mention that you need a helmet.

To be legal in Ontario, your helmet has to be certified by ONE (or more) of these:

Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
Snell Memorial Foundation (SNELL)
British Standards Institute (BSI)
United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (DOT)
United Nations Economic Commission (UNECE)

yes it does say DOT on the regulation site.

Question in case anyone knows - Im assuming that SNELL SA (for automotive motorsports) is not a legal motorcycle helmet (even though Im told they have a higher safety bar than MA).

Correct, or can I use my car helmets on my bike too?

Back
Top Bottom