Quebec elementary school bans homework for a year | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quebec elementary school bans homework for a year

Skully

i dont know if the term "banning" is correct, but i believe that in the course of the day, students should be taught and have sufficient time to do the excercises there babysitters give them. having said that, perhaps if students were in school year round instead of having 2 months off in the summer they could graduate earlier or become educated quicker allowing them to collect welfare due to the economic state of this province. cut to the chase theory.

the link to the story is HERE

D'F*ck?? lighten up on the bottle

...and they wonder why North Americans are not so great academically.

As was said before, Quebec has a very "left" ideology, not my cup of tea

Good. Very little research suggests that it's beneficial. It's nothing more than busy work.

I actually think this is good. I would have liked to see it paired with year round school however. We are not talking about high school or university levels here. These are young kids grades 1-6. Let them be kids. Giving homework to kids has always seemed like the teacher downloading their job of teaching the kids the curriculum to parents.

This rule has not come into effect so you can't blame the low IQ of North American's on that.

...and they wonder why North Americans are not so great academically.

As was said before, Quebec has a very "left" ideology, not my cup of tea

Last edited:
With canadian students performing worse and worse in academic tests maybe they should model the teaching model after those countries that are kicking our *****.......

This was tried in Barrie around 2008 too.

And tests used to evaluate the lack of homework showed improved scores.

Homework for K-6 grades has questionable value, IMO. Students not doing well at school are additionally stressed by homework, and the home environment is highly variable in its ability to support children doing homework.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I understand the idea is to slowly prepare kids year after year for what's coming as they get older but grade 2 homework is just "her mum and dad more to spend money on or less for me to teach in the classroom" at the end of the day kids still need to be kids.

Son just came home from first day of school, in the grade 6 PACE program. Teacher told them to expect at least a half hour of homework nightly. ?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

This rule has not come into effect so you can't blame the low IQ of North American's on that.
The school system here is delayed as it is, compared to the rest of the world. In the British system you can be in grad school at 18 yrs old.

Recently they wanted to start school later in the day so students can catch up on sleep. Da fuq?? When you go out in the work force do you expect your boss to start work later so you can catch up on sleep?

These kids are being pampered & when they get to the work force they expect to be pampered too. Life ain't a bed of roses
With canadian students performing worse and worse in academic tests maybe they should model the teaching model after those countries that are kicking our *****.......
Well said, brother

Teenage physiology is unique. A late start school day for them would be very beneficial, IMO. There'd be fewer dropouts I believe. Once older and in the workforce they'd adapt more easily to early mornings. My opinions are based on things I've read (but can't reference) and first hand experience as a father of late/post teenagers.

Sounds like a good way to make them even more lazy.

Just for interest's sake, have you parented teenagers?

I never did homework.

Back
Top Bottom