The KTM RC390 thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The KTM RC390 thread

Note it's hideous front end. It's like they designed this nice bike and totally forgot it needs lights to be road worthy. If it actually is priced like that then not bad but the ninja 300 is still nicer to look at

Difference of opinion. Obviously I've only seen pictures (as have you), but I think the headlights are fine.

And ... http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ktm/2015-ktm-rc390-first-ride-review.html

Suggests that it will be showing up in North America in December ...

I want that so bad it hurts. The only salve is knowing an uprated bigger engined version retaining all the DNA will be available down the road forcing everybody to upgrade. I see this exact bike @500cc.

Can't argue the possibility that they may do an RC690 at some point to fill the hole between the 390 and the RC8.

The RC390 is almost the same bike as the Duke 390, and that in turn is the same as the Duke 200 and Duke 125. KTM isn't a high volume manufacturer (yet), so they're re-using as much as they can ... the chassis of the 125, which came out first, was designed to handle bigger engines later. I don't like the dirt-bike / motard riding position but the RC sparks my interest. And somehow, for me, 400cc give or take just seems "right".

They are coming to US and Canada as 2015 models. US magazines are already testing.

You can grey import a RS4 125 track bike from the US and get parts to make it road legal.

Oh thats good news. Are you sure about the rs4 125 and didn't mean the rs 125. The rs4 is a four stroke, the rs is a two stroke. As far as I know the rs4 was never released in north america, only europe and asia. It was supposed to come here a few years ago but Aprilia bailed out

Can't argue the possibility that they may do an RC690 at some point to fill the hole between the 390 and the RC8.

The RC390 is almost the same bike as the Duke 390, and that in turn is the same as the Duke 200 and Duke 125. KTM isn't a high volume manufacturer (yet), so they're re-using as much as they can ... the chassis of the 125, which came out first, was designed to handle bigger engines later. I don't like the dirt-bike / motard riding position but the RC sparks my interest. And somehow, for me, 400cc give or take just seems "right".

Well thats a problem. RC690 would be better as an 800. I'd like to see a 500 version of RC390 with very close physical dimensions and weight. Even the same horsepower but an increase in torque. Gearing to relax it at speed.

Well thats a problem. RC690 would be better as an 800. I'd like to see a 500 version of RC390 with very close physical dimensions and weight. Even the same horsepower but an increase in torque. Gearing to relax it at speed.

I'd like a pet Unicorn. You want a bigger engine, same weight more power, less cost. The power is due to EU license regs, which translate to insurance rates in Ontario.
This is a intro class racing bike. There is no point in KTM making a Japanese style middleweight SS. If the RC390 gets boring, there is the awesome RC8.

It just look unfinished to me yes I'd like to see it person but my hopes aren't up.
KTM is not trying to compete against the Japanese. They need a distinct look with function over fashion.

The biggest problem with Japanese manufacturers is all the bikes look pretty much the same in each class, because they are all too scared to try something different. This is especially true of the naked bikes.
Keep KTM weird.

I'd like a pet Unicorn. You want a bigger engine, same weight more power, less cost. The power is due to EU license regs, which translate to insurance rates in Ontario.
This is a intro class racing bike. There is no point in KTM making a Japanese style middleweight SS. If the RC390 gets boring, there is the awesome RC8.

You should at least read my post before going all dickish. I said same power and close physical dimensions. The physical dimensions difference would account for what it takes to reliably tolerate another 125cc. Canada isn't Europe, we have wide open spaces. A bigger engine can pull taller gearing for that. EU license regs don't dictate what works on another continent. How many of these bikes will actually see a race track? I make no mention of wanting KTM to emulate Japanese SS.

edit, what I was originally going for couple posts back was sure as CBR250 and Ninja250 have been upsized without big physical penalties the same will happen to RC390. So, in the interest of living in big sky country, I'd like to go straight to RC500 and skip RC390. kbythanx

Last edited:
When I saw these bikes released last year I think, I prayed that they would bring them here to Canada so I can add to my stable. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. Wanted an aprilia rs4 125 also but that didn't happen either :( Shame

Get the 2 stroke instead. Twice the power. You can buy them new for $4k from dealers in BC. Can be on the road and legal for ~$6k after street kit and shipping.

I'd love if we could get the 390 here.

Road Racing World magazine had a brief test of the track version of the KTM RC390 and raved about it. According to the test in RRW, KTM detuned the track version for a better spread of power. I asked a KTM dirt bike dealer about getting one just last week. He didn't have any info on them coming to Canada. Would I buy one for the track....maybe. As a second street bike, yes for sure. parillaguy

KTM isn't a big manufacturer. They re-use engines and components between models. For street legal emission-certified engines, they have the 375cc single (the "390" is a marketing designation), and they have the 690 single. I wouldn't count on them doing a 500cc-ish nor an 800-ish engine before they do an RC690 based on the existing 690cc single ... and if the RC390 is a success, that would be a great next step.

The other thing is that 690cc is pushing the limits of what can be done with a single while maintaining acceptable vibration, power output, driveability, etc. Everything in KTM's lineup bigger than that uses twin-cylinder engines. "So make the proposed RC800 a twin"... sure, but it will cost more, because anything outside of re-using the existing (and emission-certified) 990cc engine would have substantial engineering and tooling cost.

You have to walk before you can run. I think the RC390 is a great next step.

We've seen it time and again where an OEM pretty much squeezes the last possible sale out of a given bike then refreshes it slightly including small cc increase and starts the cycle all over again leaving the previous model as popular as grandmas' kisses. Planned obsolescence I believe it's called. That's a money making strategy. If the RC390 proves as popular as already indicated who's not gonna go bananas over a uprated version? That's money in the bank.

A 790 kitted DR650 engine does not suffer from any excess vibration issues. Isn't a 360 deg. parallel twin basically a big single where rotating mass is concerned? 865cc Triumph twins are notoriously smooth.

edit, I think it's worth noting I may feel the need to regress socially to the point I want to follow my new buds from Niagara Falls to Hamilton holding a steady 150 on the QEW. There really is no replacement for displacement.

Last edited:
KTM should offer this bike as a straight-up track bike, unrestricted and track fairings on it. I'd have a hard time not buying one.

They do, but only in Europe. They run a whole cup thing for youngsters. I am not sure though whether they allow just anyone to buy it as a track version. If you know the right people ....

The problem is that the finicky North American market has a lot of posters who claim "if they bring, I will buy one" ... when they do the sales never materialize. KTM needs to actually first start market their street products properly. They have done zero of that, because they are doubtful of the north-American buyers, I guess.

How many of Duke 690's you see on the road ... very niche bike at best, for reasons. I'd be shocked if they would bring RC390 before Duke 390 and that has been a year or so in making ... again there's not even any communication from KTM Canada. Do they even exist? LOL

Get the 2 stroke instead. Twice the power. You can buy them new for $4k from dealers in BC. Can be on the road and legal for ~$6k after street kit and shipping.

I'd love if we could get the 390 here.

I wasn't necessarily looking for more power, my duc is fine for that. Was mainly looking to get an rs4 125 for the wifey who really wanted the biaggi model.:eek: I was hoping to steal it once in awhile to ride in to work lol. I didn't really want the excessive maintenance of the two stroke for a first bike, but believe me I looked in to it. I love the rs

They do, but only in Europe. They run a whole cup thing for youngsters. I am not sure though whether they allow just anyone to buy it as a track version. If you know the right people ....

Well, this chubby old Canuck wants one. :)

Get the 2 stroke instead. Twice the power.

Apparently RS4 125 is 15 HP, but with race kit is 25 HP, RS125 is 28-34 HP. That is much closer than I expected. Any idea how they wring 25 HP out of a 4 stroke 125? That is quite impressive (and way more than the 13 that honda gets out of their 125).

That would make more of us ...

As of last week they have no idea when it will appear in Canada. They have govt approval issues that they have not resolved and the dealers are more focused on dirt and therefore not pushing KTM to fix the issue (whatever it is).

Back
Top Bottom