The KTM RC390 thread | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The KTM RC390 thread

Assembled there, but the parts come from all over South Asia.

Several parts for the 650R come from the factory with rust already on them, too. Or at least did for 2009-2011.

Several parts for the 650R come from the factory with rust already on them, too. Or at least did for 2009-2011.

The 650R was my least favorite bike I tried this summer on Demo days. They use that motor on many models, but it's really buzzy.

Bajaj is huge ($10B market cap), they have plants all over south Asia. They have made Kawasakis in the past. But, I think they also distribute the Kawas from Thailand. I don't think any small bikes are made in Japan any more.
Bajaj is also working with BMW, as they plan to get into the small bike business next year with a 250 single.

A lot of the reason why they make bikes in South Asia is not just cheap labor, some countries have massive internal markets that are protected by tariffs from foreign-made bikes.

I am not disagreeing with your statement that small bikes are not made in Japan anymore, but it does sound like there's no source to confirm that the same plant makes Kawi bikes.

I personally don't think it's true, because the link between KTM and Bajaj way more than just some manufacturing partnership, so I am sure KTM would have something to say about that ... do you have a source link for the BMW-Bajaj manufacturing partnership?

Last edited:
I found the following link about BMW in India

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/...bmw-to-partner-with-indias-tvs-motor-company/

I am not disagreeing with your statement that small bikes are not made in Japan anymore, but it does sound like there's no source to confirm that the same plant makes Kawi bikes.

I personally don't think it's true, because the link between KTM and Bajaj way more than just some manufacturing partnership, so I am sure KTM would have something to say about that ... do you have a source link for the BMW-Bajaj manufacturing partnership?

Google found this link on my PC as well and it makes sense that the big boys associate with a company out there to make their less expensive lines, but I found it a stretch that the some company would serve fierce competitors. The article confirms more less what I thought is happening.

It's not unusual in some Asian factories to made products for competing brands. These are small displacement standard bikes without any significant technology to worry about in terms of intellectual property. BMW just wants a slice of the massive 250 market pie, and people buy marketing and badges.
In high-end carbon bicycle frames, one factory in Taiwan makes frames for four competing companies.

Parts, sure, happens all the time ... not assembling the whole bikes. Unless you have an example ....

Seeing lots of opinions and debate on this thread, but not hearing a lot from actual owners and riders. Be interested in hearing first-hand impressions from people who live with the bike every day.

Recently married, so the 1200 had to go and my summer of long tours are over. The concession is a smaller bike for around the city, commuting to work and short, early morning rides close to the city on weekends (think Hockley Valley, Haugen's, Waterloo, etc.). I could go cafe racer, but not really feeling it. Harley - nope.

Really liking the idea of the RC390. Looks like a ton of fun and it's stylish. Don't really have any desire for the 390 Duke, however. Or for anything in the 500/600 range. Been there, done that.

Any thoughts from owners? Would you buy it again? Is the powerband useable for low speed stop and go in traffic? Etc, etc?

Also, I'm looking at buying new, as this is probably my last bike purchase for a very long time. Care to share your dealer experiences - both in terms of your purchase, as well as servicing? Don't really want to go with GP Bikes. Thinking Apex, maybe...

Cheers.

Maybe start by looking at the back of the CAA towing thread.

Maybe start by looking at the back of the CAA towing thread.

Thought you were joking until I looked.

That's a bit concerning...

Clutch and head gasket seem to be recurring issues in the online owner forums, but seem to be either from riding without a properly adjusted clutch or winding the piss out of it at the track.

Thought you were joking until I looked.

That's a bit concerning...

Clutch and head gasket seem to be recurring issues in the online owner forums, but seem to be either from riding without a properly adjusted clutch or winding the piss out of it at the track.

So the bike that's claimed the most track worthy in the class has a tendency to blow if ridden hard on the track?

Interesting...

So the one in the CAA thread didn't have many km's on it when the clutch died, so that shouldn't be a user/maintenance problem (unless it came setup wrong from the dealer).

As for the track, I'm with drennan, these things are supposed to be ridden at redline. Hell, a member hear as a 2 stroke Ape 125 which survived a number of redline trips to ottawa and back.

The issue with mine turned out to be a loose nut holding the clutch to the hub - according to the service tech. I did a quick Google search and others had the exact same thing happen: sudden loss of tension in the clutch lever and being unable to engage the clutch. All had the same root cause: loose nut.

Let's see how it holds up for the rest of the season...

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your beautiful bike.

Think I've changed my mind. 400 cc will be the smallest bike I've ridden in over 30 years. Will go look at the BMW F800R, I think, given all the wingeing on this thread...

F800r is a great bike with exceptional torque at road going speed range. Pm if you have any questions about the bike. BTW mine is for sale...

Sorry for the shameless plug.
Think I've changed my mind. 400 cc will be the smallest bike I've ridden in over 30 years. Will go look at the BMW F800R, I think, given all the wingeing on this thread...

I got the chance to ride a KTM duke 390. I was very happy riding it, it did everything well. I normally ride a 1000 but I had a blast! It's fast enough and is totally at home in the city

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom