The KTM RC390 thread | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The KTM RC390 thread

You remarked about the motor specifically. So I thought we were talking about motors. Are we talking about the physical size of the bike now?

The naysayers will talk about anything, just to keep the conversation going ... LOL ... we can just add "price" to the list of RC390 GTAM shortcomings.

The naysayers will talk about anything, just to keep the conversation going ... LOL ... we can just add "price" to the list of RC390 GTAM shortcomings.

You mean the RC390 is a motorcycle? Damn, I hear those things are pretty dangerous! The CB500 would look good in Repsol colours, not livery. It's a bit nonsensical, like the CB125R version. The Respol-inspired scheme (black/silver with the orange wheels) looked good though.

Not picking a fight so don't read into my words. Honest question. What would you be concerned about with the R3?

Yamaha has a policy on most small bikes to not offer ABS, even as an option. However, they do have ABS on the Euro models and in countries where ABS is required.
So, some executive at Yamaha has decided that North Americans don't get ABS on a bike targeting young and newer riders. They could add ABS and still be cheaper than Kawasaki.
This is irresponsible and indicates to me that Yamaha doesn't care about rider safety, just a quick buck.
I can understand if someone actively decides to not buy ABS, but they should offer the option.

I'm hardly a naysayer. My bad if I offended the gtam experts. I like the bike and what it is intended for. I just think the price is high in comparison to what you get and other bikes. Didn't realize I'd ruffle the feathers of the "higher ups" here :rolleyes:

I'm hardly a naysayer. My bad if I offended the gtam experts. I like the bike and what it is intended for. I just think the price is high in comparison to what you get and other bikes. Didn't realize I'd ruffle the feathers of the "higher ups" here :rolleyes:

I'm flattered

A good fat tire mountain bike will run you $3000+ And that thing you need to peddle. 6g for the orange cheese machine is a bargain at twice the price.

Yamaha has a policy on most small bikes to not offer ABS, even as an option. However, they do have ABS on the Euro models and in countries where ABS is required.
So, some executive at Yamaha has decided that North Americans don't get ABS on a bike targeting young and newer riders. They could add ABS and still be cheaper than Kawasaki.
This is irresponsible and indicates to me that Yamaha doesn't care about rider safety, just a quick buck.
I can understand if someone actively decides to not buy ABS, but they should offer the option.
Kawi had ABS since 2006 on models that didn't get it until 2012 here. They all think there's no market for ABS in NA. If you read many posts on here you'll see many consumers seem to hate it. More options / models means more money for testing, standards, and certifications. If they think there's no market, and the public shares that opinion, why would they spend the money? I'd like ABS as an option but so many don't.

A good fat tire mountain bike will run you $3000+ And that thing you need to peddle. 6g for the orange cheese machine is a bargain at twice the price.
i wouldnt pay $6k for a bike made in india...early production examples are already having quality issues

You will not find any reputable source ..... but the issues are there, well documented on Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 website ..... LOL

You didn't ruffle any feathers I know of .... the majority of the "nay" posts just look funny in this thread ... that's all. Hopefully the potential buyers will see through it. Not any different than most "expert" opinion threads here, right?

i wouldnt pay $6k for a bike made in india...early production examples are already having quality issues

This is the same drivetrain as the Duke 390. So, I seriously doubt that.
Also, the factory is Bajaj, which has been making bikes for a long time. All of the 300s from "Japan" are in fact made in Malaysia or India these days.
Another secret: the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and 300 are made in the same plant.

http://www.bajajauto.com/

You will not find any reputable source ..... but the issues are there, well documented on Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 website ..... LOL

Usually stories posted by new profiles that then disappear. Misinformation is now an active marketing tool.

This is the same drivetrain as the Duke 390. So, I seriously doubt that.
Also, the factory is Bajaj, which has been making bikes for a long time. All of the 300s from "Japan" are in fact made in Malaysia or India these days.
Another secret: the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and 300 are made in the same plant.

http://www.bajajauto.com/

I see the link off their website to the bike ... but it looks like they might be selling them through their network, not necessarily making them in the same factory ... I thought Kawasaki bikes were made either in Japan or Thailand. You have a reputable link clearly stating it is the case? Not that it matters, just out of accuracy ....

650R is made is Thailand. Or at least was a few years ago.

I see the link off their website to the bike ... but it looks like they might be selling them through their network, not necessarily making them in the same factory ... I thought Kawasaki bikes were made either in Japan or Thailand. You have a reputable link clearly stating it is the case? Not that it matters, just out of accuracy ....

Bajaj is huge ($10B market cap), they have plants all over south Asia. They have made Kawasakis in the past. But, I think they also distribute the Kawas from Thailand. I don't think any small bikes are made in Japan any more.
Bajaj is also working with BMW, as they plan to get into the small bike business next year with a 250 single.

A lot of the reason why they make bikes in South Asia is not just cheap labor, some countries have massive internal markets that are protected by tariffs from foreign-made bikes.

Back
Top Bottom