Any GIS nerds here that have access to road data including speed limits? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GIS nerds here that have access to road data including speed limits?

Not sure what your trying to accomplish Your expecting to be able to ravel for hours on end without hitting a town at 80 k in southern ontario..

I can only assume you avoid the 401 as you find it dull, but then you want toi be able to travel the same distance in basically the same time frame as it would take on the 401.. Yes you avoid all the towns with your left and right turns. But then you also say you don't want roads with 60 or 70K limits. But by doing all these turns to avoid a town it would seem logical that your overall average speed would be 70k or less anyway. Plus then you have to account for the fact your trying to miss the Grand River which is nigh onto impossible without going into a town.

But hey i prefer to arrive at my destination in a reasonable time.

As others have said my Garmin (I use the same one on the bike and in the cage), gives me the speed limit, on MOST well traveled roads. BUT highly unlikely Garmin is going to give this GIS info up for free. Would it not be simpler to just find a route you like and note the speed limit rather than trying to create an entire database to show you the speed limit, on a route you will be traveling frequently? Once you have traveled a route ojnce what is the continuing nee to have the speed limit data? Maybe I am just missing the point?

Yeah I guess you don't get it, so don't worry about it then.

The purpose of this isn't for routes I know, it is for routes I don't know. The geobase dataset now has a column for speed data, it just isn't populated with anything useful yet. Once it is, I will be able to create what I am envisioning.

Not sure what your trying to accomplish Your expecting to be able to ravel for hours on end without hitting a town at 80 k in southern ontario..

I can only assume you avoid the 401 as you find it dull, but then you want toi be able to travel the same distance in basically the same time frame as it would take on the 401.. Yes you avoid all the towns with your left and right turns. But then you also say you don't want roads with 60 or 70K limits. But by doing all these turns to avoid a town it would seem logical that your overall average speed would be 70k or less anyway. Plus then you have to account for the fact your trying to miss the Grand River which is nigh onto impossible without going into a town.

But hey i prefer to arrive at my destination in a reasonable time.

As others have said my Garmin (I use the same one on the bike and in the cage), gives me the speed limit, on MOST well traveled roads. BUT highly unlikely Garmin is going to give this GIS info up for free. Would it not be simpler to just find a route you like and note the speed limit rather than trying to create an entire database to show you the speed limit, on a route you will be traveling frequently? Once you have traveled a route ojnce what is the continuing nee to have the speed limit data? Maybe I am just missing the point?

I wonder if you could find another dataset with towns in it and combine it with the road data. Then you could create a buffer (2km for example) around the town and use that data to help generate a route.

You could generate a query to create a path using only 80km/h roads (collector or whatever the desigination is), not touching the 2km buffer zone AND avoiding highways

I don't know if my idea would work very well because most towns would probably be classified as points instead of a polygon. 2KM around a point is fine if it's a small town, but 2km around a point for Toronto, and the point is located at Yonge / Eglinton, will still take you through Toronto.

But that is the point if the dataset hasn't been populated as of 2012 and with every level of Government stretched to the limit, (both financially and with human resources), do you really think this info is likely to ever be created? If it is ever to be created it would likely be a company such as google which would create it. I doubt there is that much demand for this info to make it a profitable venture. Plus google even with their street view sticks primarily to more mainstream roads, (which enviably terminate in a town).

Good luck on your quest though.

Yeah I guess you don't get it, so don't worry about it then.

The purpose of this isn't for routes I know, it is for routes I don't know. The geobase dataset now has a column for speed data, it just isn't populated with anything useful yet. Once it is, I will be able to create what I am envisioning.

You know, it probably is breaking all kinds of laws but you would have to think that the speed limit data is contained within the Gamin Maps file. Every time I get a (Free!) update to my two Zumo's there are now roads that have the speed limits marked.

If you know the format I am sure you would be able to determine the speeds on different roads. (Understandably it isn't apparent on Mapsource, at least I don't see it.)

..Tom

You got me thinking a bit more.. you can put "Avoidances" on the maps using Map Source. These can be roads or areas. If you took the time to mark the towns or areas you want to avoid you could set it to prefer secondary roads and it would avoid those areas and also stick to less major roads.

..Tom

Creating avoidance polygons might actually be a decent way of doing it.

When I said to filter by speed, the point wasn't for the speed, but that seemed to me to be the easiest way to avoid cities/residential areas.

The reason I want to avoid residential areas is not about the time, it's about about when I go on a leisurely ride I don't like sweating at stop lights or dealing with all the city residents rushing to Walmart or whatever.

I'll look into that in mapsource, tyre, viking, basecamp, or qgis and see if I can make something work.

Back
Top Bottom