Kawasaki Ninja H2...750 cc supercharged. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki Ninja H2...750 cc supercharged.

Plus, BMW motorrad apparel doesn't make flip flops.
Don't they?
Thumbnail.aspx

These are not mere flip flops - they come standard with a passive damping system (PDS) and solar-powered heated soles (SHS).

Flip flops, pffft.

Slightly different demographic. There will always be buyers at the high end of the market. What is the average age of hp4 owners? Quite a bit older than the cbr/r6/gsxr crowd I'd imagine.

+1

BMW isn't pandering to the Gixxarbro crowd.

Second video is up.

[video=youtube;9sTa7tngJZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sTa7tngJZY[/video]

Last edited:
The chirping is a boost blow-off valve.

There's no telling how much they were "givin'er" in that video ... but that's not modern-600-class revs.

I'm suspecting ZX14 replacement with a real displacement near 1000cc.

I'm suspecting ZX14 replacement with a real displacement near 1000cc.

Yeah, Could be litre SC to replace the heavy 1400.
Won't replace the ZX10 engine -that still rules in SBK.

It won't be in any racing class engine, there would be no way to race SC engines.

MAYBE a 750 to deliver litre bike output, but then they just have litre bikes.

That sounds nice. I hate turbos (response) but superchargers are great. I wonder what type of blower and whether they are going after mid range or top end with it. It's hard for me to imagine the boost curve on a 12k+rpm engine :s

On another website, someone uncovered the patent documents.

It is a centrifugal blower without intercooling and it is driven from the back of the engine via a two-speed transmission. That two-speed transmission is the key to the whole thing. It allows more boost at lower revs (the two-speed transmission is in "high") without excessive boost at high revs (the transmission shifts back to "low" to avoid overspeeding it) and at part throttle, it can cut down power losses by operating in "low" or shutting off completely. It is apparent from the patent documents that the intent is to have a rider-selected "eco" mode so that you can ride around in non-boosted mode if you are just cruising. It is a rather interesting arrangement. Also interested is that KHI is not the only party named in the patent documents ... the other party is powertrain-component and transmission supplier ZF - a German company.

It is a centrifugal blower without intercooling and it is driven from the back of the engine via a two-speed transmission. That two-speed transmission is the key to the whole thing. It allows more boost at lower revs (the two-speed transmission is in "high") without excessive boost at high revs (the transmission shifts back to "low" to avoid overspeeding it) and at part throttle, it can cut down power losses by operating in "low" or shutting off completely. It is apparent from the patent documents that the intent is to have a rider-selected "eco" mode so that you can ride around in non-boosted mode if you are just cruising. It is a rather interesting arrangement. Also interested is that KHI is not the only party named in the patent documents ... the other party is powertrain-component and transmission supplier ZF - a German company.
That is very cool concept, I've never heard of that being done before. I'm sure they will incorporate air/liquid cooling of some sort. I'm excited to see how this plays out. I probably won't buy it though at least not in the first production year haha

Sounds inexpensive and reliable, probably very easy to work on.

Sounds inexpensive and reliable, probably very easy to work on.

The "transmission" for the supercharger is built into the engine cases, just like the actual transmission is. "Changing gears" for the supercharger is ECU controlled and therefore not subject to operator abuse. There is a set of fixed-ratio planetary gears to speed up the drive to the compressor. It shouldn't require any additional maintenance during normal use. Kawasaki usually does engine internals pretty well. As for inexpensive ... Probably not!

I recall the Kawasaki turbo 750 was the most reliable of that era. The Yamaha, not so much.

I always thought the suzuki was sexy, but they didn't sell many. Those bikes had serious roll on acceleration.

1982_XN85_Turbo_450.jpg

Supercharge vs turbocharge discussed here not to long ago. I favoured SC but was shouted down. "supercharging is not good idea" or some such.

Back
Top Bottom