Kawasaki Ninja H2...750 cc supercharged. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki Ninja H2...750 cc supercharged.

Alright then toss that out the window I guess. It'll be interesting to see if they've put any thought into that particular inefficiency of the design or if they'll just use the centrifugal blower with all its pitfalls. If they devised something clever to get the blower to its peak boost pressure earlier than redline and then maintain it throughout the powerband they'll have a cool new technology on the market. Maybe a clutch.. :eek:ccasion6:

edit: seems I missed the boat on a discussion which has already taken place
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/0...nical-analysis-and-insights-by-kevin-cameron/

Normally, the big problem with a centrifugal supercharger is this: In a single- ratio drive, it boosts power in proportion to the square of rpm, giving a steep, almost unrideable, power curve (which is why turbo bikes are, to put it mildly, tricky to ride off corners). Patent drawings show a two-speed drive, but the text also mentions continuously variable drives. The point of this ratio changing is to keep the supercharger impeller’s top speed close to 1000 feet per second as engine rpm increases. Continuously variable drives are not cheap, which probably explains why the “preferred embodiment” is the simple two-speed drive actually shown.
One drawing also shows a one-way roller clutch in the drive to the impeller so that sudden reductions in engine rpm (throttle blips) are not transmitted to the blower. The dimensions implied in the drawing (scaled from crankshaft stroke) suggest unreal impeller drive ratios.

Kawasaki’s “Motorcycle with Supercharger” shows a patent-protected layout where the air box intake is located under the motorcycle’s seat and tank, directly behind the supercharger, which also lies behind the engine block. In MotoUSA's “Kawasaki Supercharged Inline Four at Tokyo” report, we wrote, “The induction system described in the patent routes air through the air cleaner unit into an air control valve unit. There a butterfly valve controls the intake into the supercharger. Unlike a turbo, which runs off exhaust gas pressure, a supercharger gets rotary power from the engine, and the Kawasaki patent confirms its supercharger is powered via the engine crankshaft 'through a chain or a train of gears.' A surge tank positioned atop the supercharger (unseen in the Kawasaki engine photo) channels the supercharged air through to the throttle body and into the engine.”

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/589/19128/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Kawasaki-Ninja-H2-Coming-Soon.aspx

So, the innovation is basically the two-speed gearing for the SC to spin it up quickly.

that last video...

pHPvJ.gif

1000cc supercharged with 220hp would be severely underrated or horribly choked up. Either way, a beast!

At 220 hp, a boosted 1000 would be extremely understressed-probably for warranty and safety reasons.
I am assuming the blower drive might be something similar to the CVT transmissions we see today, on a smaller scale, with the ecu determining the drive ratio needed at any given moment by reading the plethora of sensor info.

I'm getting old, because for whatever reason the idea of a 225hp+ monster bike isn't that appealing to me. Maybe it'd be great on the street, hard to say.

I'm getting old, because for whatever reason the idea of a 225hp+ monster bike isn't that appealing to me. Maybe it'd be great on the street, hard to say.

Is it because the extraordinary always becomes the ordinary and it's a chase you can never win? Or something else?

I think it's because my 1000 manages to spook me at least once every time I take it outta the trailer. 225hp+ on track with forced induction power delivery sounds like... death. ;)

But there's definitely truth to what you're saying.

At 220 hp, a boosted 1000 would be extremely understressed-probably for warranty and safety reasons.
I am assuming the blower drive might be something similar to the CVT transmissions we see today, on a smaller scale, with the ecu determining the drive ratio needed at any given moment by reading the plethora of sensor info.
Patents say two speed transmission.

Alright then toss that out the window I guess. It'll be interesting to see if they've put any thought into that particular inefficiency of the design or if they'll just use the centrifugal blower with all its pitfalls. If they devised something clever to get the blower to its peak boost pressure earlier than redline and then maintain it throughout the powerband they'll have a cool new technology on the market. Maybe a clutch.. :eek:ccasion6:

edit: seems I missed the boat on a discussion which has already taken place
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/0...nical-analysis-and-insights-by-kevin-cameron/

Yet when we were discussing turbo charged bikes in a Busa thread a bunch of people told me turbo charged bikes are easy to make and don't have rideability problems?

[video=youtube;QNlABzBpkP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlABzBpkP4&list=UUFh2kpaGkqu6Za5l1zIMmXw[/video]

Yet when we were discussing turbo charged bikes in a Busa thread a bunch of people told me turbo charged bikes are easy to make and don't have rideability problems?

That depends on what you consider 'rideability problems' ... there's also a relatively large difference between a 250-300hp turbo build and a 500hp one. Personally I think there's only so much power a two wheeled vehicle with a 5' wheelbase can handle before you need a very smart computer to be able to handle it effectively... will be it be fun riding a 300hp supersport that won't let you flip over backwards or roast the tire every time you pin the throttle? I dunno, maybe? Those are advantages a home-brew turbo build doesn't offer, so you're left with manually managing a very peaky 250+ horsepower powerband. A 'problem' indeed.

I haven't read all 5 pages of this, but what would the applications of a supercharged bike motor be outside of an SS? Could something similar ever make it's way to the cruiser market? The same way we've seen the F-150 with the Ecoboost perhaps. Or a supercharged Ruckus!

As far as I can tell, most cruiser riders are content with big, heavy, and slow. "Power cruisers" could be an exception, but there are not many out there. Sport-touring bikes could use this tech to down-size the engine, cutting down weight and bulk and possibly eking out a bit better fuel consumption, and it ought to reduce the amount of heat produced when stuck in traffic, too.

The city manners and weight of a 650 with the power of 1000 when you want it on the highway maybe? That's the only reason I would want a bigger bike over my SV, sometimes I want just a little more oomph. Especially when two up or touring.

Back
Top Bottom