For Those With Children That About to Ride.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

For Those With Children That About to Ride....

nakkers

Site Supporter
What are your thoughts on your kids embarking on riding in the street?

I've got my 16 year old looking to ride...............I'm thinking she needs to get some time riding the trails and dirt like her old man did before navigating the streets.....

100% agree! She won't be trying get used to being on the road while learning to ride. Some time in a car will also help her get wise to the morons on the roads and the off-road skill will teach her how to handle the bike with confidence.

2nd vote for the trails. Let her drive a car on the public highway for awhile too, so she understands how many morons are out there.

Spend time learning to drive a car in traffic first before venturing out on a bike. Safest place to be to learn defensive driving/riding IMO. Trail riding is a good idea but I won't let this be her only experience before sending her out in traffic.

Last edited:
Maybe but I think they are very different.

Kid was never interested in the car.

OP...
has she experience riding a bicycle properly in traffic?

I agree on the dirt stuff...kid did a couple years at Chatsworth - never in competition.

Get her a Honda 230 unless she's really petite. She'll have a ball and there is lots of good used motocross armor.

They start em at age 3 up there ....with training wheels. SHe just about ran me over......braking not her strong point at that time.
maLFW_sHAzReheK_mjJ1W1Q.jpg

It's a lot of driving but worth it in my view. Too bad you didn't start at 14 but then she might not have been interested.

The confidence level just soars. My only concern is being hassled by the boys that it not put her off.
First couple of weeks is very important on confidence.

They have one on one but I suspect you can teach her just fine. Nice if there is a friend along as well.
You can store the bike at Chatsworth...

Good luck...it can be very good for both of you.
Got me back into riding after a layoff and very happy it did.
He had and has no interest in getting a car licence. Wanted bikes from the get go.

Her only experience has been on a bmx bike and not really much road experience at that. She gets some go kart time up at the trailer for the last few years. Her natural tendencies are cautious.

But have to agree that experience in a cage on the road will be a priority as interacting with traffic is important.

I'm going to pick up a dirt bike for the trailer and let her rip it up. Just enough to feed her interest.

She has been on the back of motorcycles for a few years now and has always said she wants a motorcycle.

I'd rather guide her instead of discourage her. She will likely go ahead and do her own thing and that's what scares me a little.

So just doing my home work now. Lol.

Thanks for the input.

The more the better. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I don't think 16 years olds are ready to drive, never mind ride a bike.

I started riding at 16. Both car and bike driving are important. She needs to learn the perspective of a car driver and what they see.
Girls are not boys, they have less of a tendency to do stupid things, while 16-25 year old males excel at stupid.

Have her read the stats and safety reports to learn that "cagers" are not the problem. Most accidents are riders at fault and loss of control. Most car collisions result from rider behavior in traffic.

Have her do a track day intro course and advanced rider training.

I'm not sure if I would let my kids ride under 25, but it really depends on the personality of the person and their risk and compulsion behavior.

Lastly, have her avoid this forum, where people blame cagers for everything and advocate running from police.

I've got my 16 year old looking to ride...............I'm thinking she needs to get some time riding the trails and dirt like her old man did before navigating the streets.....

Told my 16 year old son the exact same thing :cool:

When I was 16 in Belgium, one could get a moped or a 50cc bike governed at 40 km/h. So that's what we all had.

This was my first bike, a Yamaha DT50:
View attachment 35698

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but, how old were your kids before you took them 2up? Love the idea, but after being on this forum, realized that I have much to learn before even considering it. And even then, not sure.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on your kids embarking on riding in the street?

I'm thinking it's odd that you are getting strangers opinions on how to raise your kid from the internet.

I'm not sure if I would let my kids ride under 25,

pity the kids..LET THEM???!!!! Why how very antediluvian.

Man are you in for an few lessons in the reality of parenthood and teens.
You are either there for them for some light handed guidance as they to go their way or you'll be put on ignore and they'll do what they want anyways.

A person at 16 has all the rights to do whatever they want including leave home and there is squat all you can do about it.
You don't own kids...and a heavy handed controlling approach will be sure to ensure no future relationship with them as adults....just ask my ex.

•••

OP - get her riding something for a summer on the dirt but if you can buddy her up with another girl who is interested ( harder with girls I think ) then all the better.
Count me impressed she's interested at her age.....you've clearly done a good job as role model.

cropped-crazy-good-parent.jpg

I've been riding and driving since I was 16 with no accidents or tickets. Not all kids are morons just like not all adults are intelligent or capable of operating a motor vehicle.

No way my kid would ride on the street before having at least a few years driving experience. Death sentence.

Thanks for the input folks.

I was fortunate enough to experience trail riding in the BC mountains under a relative's supervision and guidance when I was a teenager. Something I can't provide my daughter.

My two oldest have been on the back on a motorcycle since their feet could reach the pegs. So I would say around 10 years of age? They started off in small rides that rarely got beyond 2nd gear. Like some parks and neighbourhoods that don't have much traffic and can be a relaxing time. They gradually moved highway rides in the country for stops of ice cream in small towns. Rides that were about 30 minutes or so. My concern was always about the kids falling asleep so, we kept the pace slow enough and communicated frequently.

While I have a good feel for my kids and their abilities, I don't pretend to know it all. And seeking the advice of other riders that have already gone through this phase with their children may bring some thoughts of wisdom I haven't considered.

Thankfully, my kids don't have to navigate the highways of the GTA right out of the gate. Suburbia London will be their primary learning grounds.

Saying that, a 16 year old driving on the streets, let alone on two wheels can be frightening.

My kids know this.

They see and experience this every time we are in the cage or bike. But it's a whole different ball of wax when they are the rider/driver. Thus why I asked.

My living arrangements don't make it conducive to keep a dirt bike but it's something I'm looking into anyways.

I want to encourage and guide my kids instead of telling them they can't until a predetermined time. If there is interest, I want to cultivate and be a part of it.

But I have to agree that gaining experience in a cage is the main priority. She has already driven private roads and demonstrates good instincts. It's the knowledge and experience that can't be taught. It's seat time.

Thanks again to all the support and info. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Why? I was driving my uncle's Datsun B210 car in Texas when I was 11 years old ALONE and it a shift stick x5 speed, he was in the passenger seat but I drove it everywhere. I learnt how to ride a motorcycle at aged 13 on a Kawasaki full-sized bike and I rode it in a big city. In Houston,Tx I was driving a shift-stick car by myself all over the maze of highways and to other towns alone.

Told my 16 year old son the exact same thing :cool:

When I was 16 in Belgium, one could get a moped or a 50cc bike governed at 40 km/h. So that's what we all had.

This was my first bike, a Yamaha DT50:
View attachment 35698

Same as in England, 50cc when you were 16, legal to drive a car when you were 17.

But......the key word is but, generally the driving habits of motorists in Europe are far superior to the donkeys that operate(loose word) motor vehicles over here.

My son is starting to show some interest in two wheels, i will probably make him go the dirt route, plus some racer 5 before he gets a licence if he is serious about it.

I've been riding and driving since I was 16 with no accidents or tickets. Not all kids are morons just like not all adults are intelligent or capable of operating a motor vehicle.

Why? I was driving my uncle's Datsun B210 car in Texas when I was 11 years old ALONE and it a shift stick x5 speed, he was in the passenger seat but I drove it everywhere. I learnt how to ride a motorcycle at aged 13 on a Kawasaki full-sized bike and I rode it in a big city. In Houston,Tx I was driving a shift-stick car by myself all over the maze of highways and to other towns alone.

Different times.

Todays youth is a different breed. I'll leave it at that.

Like I said, I'd never let any 16 year old on the open road on a motorcycle with Zero driving experience.

Pegasus is here, lol

Sent from my tablet using my paws

My son is far too young for me to have these concerns yet, but when the time comes my goal will be for him to master the mechanics of operating a motorcycle in an off road environment. That way when/if he decides to street ride he can devote his entire attention to the road and traffic, and not have to "think" about braking, shifting, steering, etc. the motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom