cbcanada

Banned
I am Stuck in toronto

I washed my bike today

Now I turn my bike to ON
everything lights up
I checked kill switch is working
Checked fuse box
I hit start, it turns strong but will not fire up.

I do not hear the fuel pump priming

Any ideas

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Well i called caa, if anyone can help me diagnose this After i get it home that would be great..

I can smell gas so maybe its not the fuel pump? But i dont hear the fuel pump

In a bad rain storm a week ago the same thing happen to me. I could hear the the spark shorting out to the frame instead of sending the current to the spark plug. I let it dry for about a day and it work great since. Note that my bike is 32 years old so it's not exactly water tight

WD40 when its wet.

What bike , year , kms. Where are you located ,?

I just towed it home with caa. Will look into it tomorrow. Its a 2005 monster 800.. I M guessing it has to be the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. Since i dont hear the pump priming

I just started working on this. I came in garage and turned key the fuel pump DID prime! Bike started , ran poorly for about 10-15 seconds as if it was out if gas then shut down. Then i turned the key several times and have not heard the pump priming

Okay here is a situation.
I am trying to probe the four cables going up to the fuel pump. (Red,black,white,black)

I cannot get my prong into either end they are rubber sealed in the wire coming out end, also as you can see in the picture the connecting end holes are tiny

upe2e9u6.jpg

8ytare3e.jpg

Update

Ok another update.. If anyone is reading ;)

Managed to probe the power cables going up to the fuel tank

With the key turned to "on"

The white carries 11.5 v
The red carries 1.5v
The two blacks which i assume are ground carry none

When i hit start the red goes up to 10.9 v

Should the red carry a load with the key turned to on like the white does, otherwise if it is normal then it means power going into tank correct?

Then the problem is inside the tank, the pump is toast it the filter is plugged,

Am i thinking straight here?

Update..

I took the pump/flange assembly out and hard wired 12v from the battery to the back of the connector going into the pump.. The pump turned on, did it again just to make sure. And i heard her buzzing.. :) i guys the pump is good?

So now i have to go backwards and find where the break in the line is

Update

I have confirmed that the problem is a break in the 12v line somewhere between the out side of the flange and where it actually connects to the pump.

I figured this out by

Running 12v direct to pump and connecting the ground cable from the out side of the flange connection. Result pump runs

But

If i connect the ground direct to the back of the pump and run the 12 from outside the flange.. Pump does not run.

So now most of the 12v wire is inside a plastic casing.. How to find the break

Here is some pictures

This first one is the flange exterior which sits outside the tank and seals the gasoline. The red cable you see is the problem

u4yqypu9.jpg

This here is where it connects to the pump

y8y2apat.jpg

And here is the whole you unit as it sits inside the gas tank. You can see most of the red wire is inside the black plastic part

u6ydygan.jpg

UpdAte

If I wiggle the 12v wire the pump works no problem

I am tempted to just put it back but I know the first bump that I go over the loose connection will come off again

I just don't know how to get in there to secure the connection

As it stands now. I need to figure out how to get to wires and past the black plastic casing

What purpose does the black plastic casing serve there's all kinds of holes in it so the gas does go in there .. So then what function does it serve?

Update

After determining the black plastic case serves no purpose other than forcing Ducati owners to buy complete units I have decided to break it

This will give me access to the problem area

rave6uru.jpg

Last post for the day..

I will most likely continue this wednesday or next sunday. Here is my plan

1. Clean up the area i cut with a dremmel.

2. See if i can drill through the epoxy thats holding the wires.

3. Runs a new wire through, fill the drill hole up with in weld or caswell.

4. Clean up the whole unit to make sure no loose plastic bits.. And put back together

Here is how things look now..
If anyone can chime in with ideas.. i would REALLY appreciate it.

vedy2u4e.jpg
ta2y8yzy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom