Soon to be rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Soon to be rider

ajromano

Just wanted to take a sec and say how helpful/informative/useful this forum is in regards to new riders and riding in general. Some real cool peeps in this community! Wassup!

As the title states, soon to be rider. Im a 23 year old male looking to get into this sport. As of right now, all I have is a G license and a motorcycle handbook!

First step is to find a way to convince my parents that riding is fun (and yes I know, dangerous). How did you guys break it down to your parents/guardians? Were they happy about it? Or did they give you no reason to get a bike at all and pop the question "do you want to die?" like my parents did. Let me know how you guys convinced them!

Second step is to get my M1 and then take the mtohp safety course. Any reviews on this? Their last course is in October I believe.

Once I pass the M1 and safety course I was looking at getting a ninja300 or cbr500. Are these good beginner bikes? Im 5'10/165lbs which one would be best suitable? I will most likely finance brand new but do keep in mind that this will be my first finance ever. Is financing a bike a good idea? And do you suggest purchasing a bike in the spring since the riding season is almost over?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Convince your parents? You're 23! Do you really need their approval, or do you need their money? Are you still living with them?

Financing is expensive. Its also not a great idea for a beginner to have a new bike. You'll definitely drop it. I thought I wouldn't, that I was special and it wouldn't happen to me, but it did.

New bikes also lose way more value than used. It won't be worth nearly as much of what you paid when you go to sell it. I would always recommend a good used bike for that reason. If you need help checking one out, there are plenty of people in here willing to help.

This is also the perfect time of year to start looking for used bikes. Bike prices go up at least 20-30% come April, and most of the good winter deals are gone by December.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input! @spray____ unfortunately I am still living with them. Money is not an issue as I have a full time job. And for the approval part... I come from a really strict background and I feel if I go against their word I may disappoint them. But I made my decision and I will be getting a bike even if it results in me moving out lol

Where are some good places to check out used bikes?

Appreciate the input! @spray____ unfortunately I am still living with them. Money is not an issue as I have a full time job. And for the approval part... I come from a really strict background and I feel if I go against their word I may disappoint them. But I made my decision and I will be getting a bike even if it results in me moving out lol

Where are some good places to check out used bikes?

Fair enough. I guess all I can say is show them you're serious about biking and serious about safety. Look into some courses that will make you a better rider. Racer5 and Total Control come to mind. The M1 Exit course taught at all of the colleges is great for getting you up and running, but it doesn't really go beyond the basics. Show them some books and videos about riding. Twist of the Wrist 2 is a great one. The key would be getting them to see this is a passion of yours and you're serious about doing it safely long term. When people hear about young guys getting a bike, they usually think of them on sport bikes wearing wife beaters and blasting wheelies through traffic.

Used bikes at dealerships are priced up to 25% more than the exact same bike sold by owner. I would start with Kijiji, and stay away from the dealerships at least until you're familiar with specs and prices. If you look at enough, you'll be able to judge what things are worth. You can also sign up for Kijiji alerts. Basically you set all the specifications on the left (make, model, year, kms, engine size, price, location) and at the bottom enter your email address. After that, every morning you'll get an email showing you the newly posted ads from the day before. It's a great way to stay on top of what's available without looking through the same ads over and over again.

Last edited:
I'd buy used for my first couple of seasons, then I'd keep buying used. Lol.

The M1Exit course is a great start, as is the dvd he mentioned, twist of the wrist 2.

Call for an insurance quote before you buy anything!

I started riding this year as well..... put on 17000 km/ and 2 trips to tail of the dragon so far plus 1 track day this is what I learned

1 -Make sure you can afford a bike by this I mean maintenance, crash money, insurance
2- If you buy a lower CC bike State Farm is something you wanna look at for insurance as they pro rate based on displacement
3- Buy gear before you buy the bike .. Proper gear.. None of this squid Icon **** .. Sure ladies think you look cool at timmies in your wife beater and icon vest.. But women think your cool with crushed up knee sliders ;)- Trust me on this AGATT(All gear all the time) if you're gonna be riding hard
4- A fast bike does not make you a fast rider, I know plenty of ninja 250/300 sport bike riders that can smoke 600ss riders
5- Anyone can ride fast on straight roads, It takes time and skills to ride properly/safely and fast in corners
6- I saved 450 bucks on Safety course... Challenged the m1 exit for 50 bucks and it was easy.. This is your choice (if you go this route make sure you know the basics of riding the road/Lane positions, defense techniques etc)
7- If you've ever wanted to be invisible .. Just buy a motorcycle.. When you ride treat it as everyone on the road is trying to kill you.. this will keep you ahead of the game
8- Choose who you ride with carefully
9- I'm running out of **** to rant about
10- You only live once your parents will get over it .. Just don't be another squid, or statistic.. Ride with other good (responsible) riders look into sharp riding courses or Racer5 etc if you plan on getting some proper riding skills
11- Chicken strips are for fat chicks
12- Goto youtube.. Type in twist of the wrist 2 by keith code .. Watch it .. Corny but lots of good knowledge you don't know that you should

Ride safe be awesome and stay alive

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, you guys are awesome! Hope everybody had a great long weekend!

Just finished watching twist of the wrist 2 on youtube...little corny but some very valuable information. Still kinda confused about this whole counter steer thing but I think thats something I have to experience when I am actually on the bike.

Im going to take everybodys advice and buy a used bike. Are the suzuki gs500's good bikes to start off with?

You'll understand counter steering (push steering)when you get on one.

Basically push with your right you turn right and vice versa. Its not like turning a bicycle wheel. Confused me at first as it's a bit different on dirt, at least the dirt I was doing.

Although I haven't ridden one the 250's and 300's are plenty quick and you will save on insurance. They are light and easy to toss around. I put 5k on my heavy cruiser before hoping on the cb125 for the course. What a difference. I drag pegs on my vstar but the ease of tossing the 125 around was fun.

Trust me. Insurance can be a killer. Sometimes more then the cost of the entire bike. Get lots of quotes. Your under 25 so it ain't going to be a remotely logical cost. Expect to pay a ton. I wouldn't be surprised if its over 4k for a 500cc sport bike. And most companies want this cost upfront, or split in 6 payments.

If state farm will insure you bundle your car with them. That's a life saver as well. Saved me 400/year through them. And over 4k/year when compared to the most expensive quote I got v

Last edited:
You'll understand counter steering (push steering)when you get on one.

Basically push with your right you turn right and vice versa. Its not like turning a bicycle wheel. Confused me at first as it's a bit different on dirt, at least the dirt I was doing.

Although I haven't ridden one the 250's and 300's are plenty quick and you will save on insurance. They are light and easy to toss around. I put 5k on my heavy cruiser before hoping on the cb125 for the course. What a difference. I drag pegs on my vstar but the ease of tossing the 125 around was fun.

Trust me. Insurance can be a killer. Sometimes more then the cost of the entire bike. Get lots of quotes. Your under 25 so it ain't going to be a remotely logical cost. Expect to pay a ton. I wouldn't be surprised if its over 4k for a 500cc sport bike. And most companies want this cost upfront, or split in 6 payments.

If state farm will insure you bundle your car with them. That's a life saver as well. Saved me 400/year through them. And over 4k/year when compared to the most expensive quote I got v
Actually, its exactly like turning a bicycle wheel except the gyroscopic force is even stronger because there or more rotating mass on a motorcycle.

The idea, like you said, is you push the right bar to turn right. What actually happens is by pushing the right bar, the front wheel turns to the left. The back wheel follows the front. With both wheels moving to the left and out from under the bike, its now leaning to the right and will turn right.

Sounds like a lot of complicated physics but its important to understand. A lot of people have gone in the ditch because they tried to lean the bike over without understanding how to do that. The engine and wheels on a motorcycle have a lot of rotating mass in the same plane, which creates a very strong gyroscopic effect. The faster you go and the bigger the bike, the more effort it takes to change its direction.

I was confused about counter-steering when i started this year, i found out I was doing it naturally without even knowing it.

I also suggest RTI for your course. (Rider Training). I loved doing it there. I passed easily.

Get a smaller bike 250 if your just starting, it's cheap in cost and cheap on insurance. Just don't expect to be a speed demon. Buy used if you can.
I got a 250 new, got tired of it within a month or so and had to sell it at about $1000 less then i paid for it.

As for parents, you will never convince them it's fine, my mother still hates that i ride, but it's my life choice, not hers. If you wait on your parents to approve things you do, then you may never do them.

If i waited for mine, I never would have a motorcycle(well 2 of them) and i wouldn't have my PAL license.

Shane

I'm a new rider. I most definitely recommend taking a course (I recommend RTI). I learned MANY things that I could have learned the hard way on the streets like emergency braking, emergency steering, counter steering, taking off and turning, etc. I also got a huge discount on my insurance for taking the course. The course will also force you to buy your gear because you will not be allowed to participate without it. Good luck.

Another chiming in for RTI

Www.ridertraining.ca

I think they have a price cut for the Bowmanville course, but they run multiple locations each weekend if that doesn't work for you.

Actually, its exactly like turning a bicycle wheel except the gyroscopic force is even stronger because there or more rotating mass on a motorcycle.

I'm going to assume your right. Lol.

I always was on trick bikes so I don't think I ever felt push steering on it.

For me coming from dirt, it was different and a lot to get used to.

I'm going to assume your right. Lol.

I always was on trick bikes so I don't think I ever felt push steering on it.

For me coming from dirt, it was different and a lot to get used to.

Think of it this way .. I < this is your front wheel birds eye view... you turn it right it will go right only if you bike cannot lean (like a trike) What would happen if you turn it left slightly? it makes the bike lean right. When you do this you do it in small increments.. Step 1 you push the right bar away from you slightly... bikes leans over as it leans over you control the lean by that same bar if you push it more away from you the tire pushes away from the lean and drops you down more if you bring it towards you (the bar the front of the tire will pick your bike back up ..... Go in your driveway with your bicycle walk beside it down the driveway. While on the right side of the bike as you walk push your right handle bar away from you the top part of the front wheel will go left making the bike drop to the right... = Counter steering

You don't need to grasp counter steering, for as others have said you have been doing it on a bicycle for years.

You'll cover it on your motorcycle course, then put it into practice every time you ride it.

GS500'S are great starter bikes as are the 250cc bikes. Have three bikes on a list when you call and get your quotes.

Once I pass the M1 and safety course I was looking at getting a ninja300 or cbr500. Are these good beginner bikes? Im 5'10/165lbs which one would be best suitable?

If you've never ridden before I'd suggest a 250 or 300 class machine to start. Having said that, the CBR500 bikes are pretty docile and have nice, even power delivery that makes them learner-friendly. FWIW, the CBR500R is rated at around 47HP or so. This is no coincidence as it and its F and X stablemates are designed for countries with "LAMS" (learner approved motorcycle schemes) -- schemes which limit the power/weight ratio of bikes for inexperienced riders. If you're competent and mature, a 500R would be a good bike. If you're less than sure go for the Ninja 300. It's got ~35HP and this is still plenty for a starter bike.

I have a 2014 CBR500R: Got my M1 in July, took an M1-exit course at a local college on XT-250s. I anticipated looking at a CBR250 or the more sporty/faster Ninja 300 to start on. I ended up in a Honda dealership on a whim and saw they had a new CBR300R. But beside that was a CBR500R. I sat on both and felt that the 500 seemed more natural (I'm 5'11" and 185.) The salesguy walked up to me and said the bike outside was ready for a test ride if I had my gear. And who goes to a motorcycle dealership without their gear in the car?? Hell yes I have my gear...

I came clean about having just completed the M2 exit and the guy was cool with that and let me take the 500 out for "as long as you want, within reason." I took it for 20 or 30 minutes and came back smitten. I felt the bike was perfect: Light, pretty powerful, good looks etc. I basically signed the papers right there and picked my new bike up later that week.

But I'd ridden (many) years before in competitive motocross. I found the college course a good remover of old-fart rust and some bad habits (e.g. keeping your head up, looking where you want to go etc) but the technical part was old hat: You never forget how to ride a bike. I looked at some of the other folks in the class -- people who'd never been on a bike before the class -- and just could not imagine them in traffic. From agonizingly slow acceleration and unsure shifts to wobbly turns to being unable to stay between the lines to failing evasion and emergency braking exercises, I really hoped these folks would spend more time in parking lots and deserted roads than in traffic and most certainly hoped they'd start on something small and easy to handle.

Only you can judge if you're mentally mature enough and physically up to dealing with a 425-lb, 50HP bike. (It doesn't sound like a lot but 50HP motivating 600-lbs (bike + rider weight) is roughly equivalent to the power to weight ratio of a 300HP Subaru WRX STi weighing 3600-lbs -- car plus driver...) The fact that you're not talking about a 600RR is promising. :)

I started riding this year as well..... put on 17000 km/ and 2 trips to tail of the dragon so far plus 1 track day this is what I learned

1 -Make sure you can afford a bike by this I mean maintenance, crash money, insurance
2- If you buy a lower CC bike State Farm is something you wanna look at for insurance as they pro rate based on displacement
3- Buy gear before you buy the bike .. Proper gear.. None of this squid Icon **** .. Sure ladies think you look cool at timmies in your wife beater and icon vest.. But women think your cool with crushed up knee sliders ;)- Trust me on this AGATT(All gear all the time) if you're gonna be riding hard
4- A fast bike does not make you a fast rider, I know plenty of ninja 250/300 sport bike riders that can smoke 600ss riders
5- Anyone can ride fast on straight roads, It takes time and skills to ride properly/safely and fast in corners
6- I saved 450 bucks on Safety course... Challenged the m1 exit for 50 bucks and it was easy.. This is your choice (if you go this route make sure you know the basics of riding the road/Lane positions, defense techniques etc)
7- If you've ever wanted to be invisible .. Just buy a motorcycle.. When you ride treat it as everyone on the road is trying to kill you.. this will keep you ahead of the game
8- Choose who you ride with carefully
9- I'm running out of **** to rant about
10- You only live once your parents will get over it .. Just don't be another squid, or statistic.. Ride with other good (responsible) riders look into sharp riding courses or Racer5 etc if you plan on getting some proper riding skills
11- Chicken strips are for fat chicks
12- Goto youtube.. Type in twist of the wrist 2 by keith code .. Watch it .. Corny but lots of good knowledge you don't know that you should

Ride safe be awesome and stay alive

All this is good !!!

Also go watch the go pro video of a guy getting killed by a turning car. Its on the forum right now. It will show u riding a bike is no joke

Go to parking lots and practice

Aside from that.. Enjoy! Nothing like it :)

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I don't ride but I want to. The only thing stopping me is the cost. I'm 24 y/o. Can you tell me what State Farm quoted? I got $2300 for a ninja 300, which is a bit too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom