American riding into Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

American riding into Ontario

DOHC1

What happens when an American rider comes up to Ontario on a motorcycle? Liability insurance on their policy would be less than whats required by ontario law ($200,000).. for example someone from new york city might have $25,000 of coverage; what happens when pulled over/accident? Also, this raises the question for states which do not require insurance, or a very low amount.
Any input?

What happens when an American rider comes up to Ontario on a motorcycle? Liability insurance on their policy would be less than whats required by ontario law ($200,000).. for example someone from new york city might have $25,000 of coverage; what happens when pulled over/accident? Also, this raises the question for states which do not require insurance, or a very low amount.
Any input?
Ontario liability insurance is good anywhere in Canada and USA (see the pink slip).UIM, no fault benefits and FP Endorsement would cover an Ontario rider in case of an accident with an uninsured local, out-of-province or American vehicle. Presumably American insurers state on their policies the acceptance of risk when a rider is in another state or Canadian province.
AFJ

I wonder how the American gets treated by our "No fault" system if the Yankee isn't at fault.

We pay through the nose for insurance compared to the USA but brag that we have higher liability limits and medical coverage. However in the USA the loss recovery from a Not-at-fault is far better. If you are going to cause a crash do it in Canada. If someone else is going to hit you have it happen in the USA.

There is so much BS in the Canadian system it has blocked blood flow to the brain.

The Yankee's insurer would bump up his minimum coverage to match our minimum limits. In your example he has $25K liability coverage. He comes up to Ontario and causes $199K damage to a bridge or something his insurer will bump him up to having $200K liability coverage. Same for us there. Example, you have the minimum $200K here in Ontario, you go to Kansas and demolish a $250K Mercedes. Let's pretend in Kansas the minimum limits required by law were $500K, your Ontario insurer would bump you up to that minimum and hence they would pay for the $250K Mercedes. If it's a case of a not at fault collision, and the Yankees insurer is Signatory to Ontario no fault laws, or his insurance company is licensed to write in Ontario i.e. State farm then no fault still applies.

I wonder how the American gets treated by our "No fault" system if the Yankee isn't at fault.

We pay through the nose for insurance compared to the USA but brag that we have higher liability limits and medical coverage. However in the USA the loss recovery from a Not-at-fault is far better. If you are going to cause a crash do it in Canada. If someone else is going to hit you have it happen in the USA.

There is so much BS in the Canadian system it has blocked blood flow to the brain.

Here's one that I found out recently and it blew my mind. If you need physiotherapy you have to empty your work benefits first! Only afterwards will the insurance company pay. So if someone rear ends you at the beginning of the year and you have to spend your work benefits to recover, you are screwed if you need physio again during the gear for personal issues.

Here's one that I found out recently and it blew my mind. If you need physiotherapy you have to empty your work benefits first! Only afterwards will the insurance company pay. So if someone rear ends you at the beginning of the year and you have to spend your work benefits to recover, you are screwed if you need physio again during the gear for personal issues.

If the government follows through on the 15% premium reduction do you want to bet the $50,000 minimum med benefit gets cut even further? It used to be $100,000. The appropriate physio after an injury is critical to fast recovery and minimal long term side effects. Good luck in the future.

Off topic but:

The insurance companies blame fraud for our high rates.

The government forces the police to run speed traps instead of investigating fraud.

Our insurance goes up because we get caught in speed traps.

There is no onus on anybody to stop the fraud.

Back
Top Bottom