Another deadly crash | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another deadly crash

Lost 2 good friends last night ... Thinking of yous regardless of who is at fault <3 it was a good ride

Sorry about your loss

Perhaps you might want to reconsider jumping on a strangers bike in the future

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/29/friends-id-pair-killed-in-mississauga-crash

MISSISSAUGA - Flowers lay at a Mississauga crash site Friday morning as friends mourned a man and woman who died in a collision the night before.
Peel Regional Police were called to Burnhamthorpe Rd. and Westminster Pl. around 8:15 p.m. after a car and motorcycle collised.
The driver of the motorcycle -- identified by friends as 24-year-old Mike Henry-Wright, the oldest of three siblings -- was pronounced dead at the scene.
Cassandra Tanovich, also identified by friends, was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Henry-Wright “cared about everyone he ever met. We will miss him dearly,” Kevin Persaud said at the scene Friday.
Persaud and Henry-Wright had gone to school together since Grade 5.
“He’s a real good guy, very talkative and everyone liked him,” Persaud, who recalled how Henry-Wright would wake him up for school, said. “This is just so sad.”
The driver of the car was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police have details of what led up to the accident or if charges will be laid.

You just don't have the patience and experience necessary to make the safest decisions. Ride safe.

I disagree - I have two riders under 25 - one extremely responsible - the other can be hooligan but only where conditions warrant.

Both started dirt riding early and that pays big time in so many ways. You learn to fall. You learn it hurts when you fall. You learn to deal with when the bike gets unsorted under you. You can be hooligan safely and push your limits.

10' in the air on a motocross bike is better thrills than most anything on the street....and you learn how well gear works.

The major problem is not getting started early and with smaller bikes. Kid did offroad and started with a 50cc jaz on the street and worked his way up to the FX-08 this year by way of an SV-650s.

No tickets. No crashes. No car licence :D

Starting late to motorcycles but under 25 ....dangerous mix.

I'm glad you recognize that you're not ready to take on this risk, that says a lot about your level of patience. I would advise all younger riders to consider their decision very, very carefully. If I had started riding before 25 I probably wouldn't be alive today. You just don't have the patience and experience necessary to make the safest decisions. Ride safe.

It's not that I have a problem with patience it's a problem with dumb ass people. Lol I admit, when on a motorcycle it's really easy to twist the throttle and feel that rush of speed. Whenever I ride I keep my speed and decisions in check. But even if you're the safest and most conscious-minded rider, all it takes is a drunk driver to rear end you while at a stop light, or cross the centre line and cause a head on. Obviously age and maturity does play a factor but we shouldn't get too side tracked from the fact that 2 people are dead, and it could have likely been avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from the comments in The Sun:

Andrew992 hours ago I was driving a car that was east bound when this occurred west bound
within about 5 car lengths in front of us. The wife broke into tears. There
were two bikes traveling in the same direction. The one that made it through
was going at a horrendous clip. I cannot say how fast the bike that hit the car
was going but it looked like it had run into a brick wall.
Seeing the young lady curled up in the gutter is a sight I will never forget

nphelge8 minutes ago Eyewitness on news last night said the driver of the motorcycle tried to overtake cars by going into the bus stop shoulder. Awful waste of life. Lets hope other kids get something from this.

You need to educate yourself and realize that in the majority of the high fatalities this season, the riders were either described as outright speeding or "erratic" in driving. Look at that car, this guy, with his pillion, was going way too fast. Fast enough to kill them both and destroy a car, on a city road.

Other reports mention he was on the shoulder. This was not an "accident", this was negligent riding. I know that area, and in the evening, it is ripe with f***tards on SS bikes competing for the Darwin award.

You want to live past 22? Then don't assume that cars are the problem. Any study on traffic safety in the last 30 years will tell you that speed difference is what kills, not outright speed. If you accelerate in traffic at twice the pace, then you are invisible half the time drivers typically scan their mirrors. Try driving in a car with guys approaching at those speeds. i think a major problem in younger riders is that they don't drive a car enough.

"Cagers suck" is just another symptom of an epidemic in society of people refusing to take responsibility for their actions. We have nothing to stand on if we don't clean up our own acts first, but the stats from this deadly summer show loss of control and rider at-fault to be major contributions, so watch for insurance and MTO retributions.

I think motorcyclists need to really reconsider what is a road bike. When I was riding at 17-25, 50-75 hp was a big deal, now it's twice that or more, while on the same two wheels.
Japan does not care about rider safety, they will sell you anything to make money.

I think it's time for the MTO to get radical. Ban pillions on SS bikes, and even consider building a road track closer to the GTA, with a drag and stunt area under safety controls and training.
The best road riders you will ever see are the ones going and coming from a racetrack.

Excellent post.... I can concur that I've seen a complete disregard for motorcycle safety by a large number of SS riders out there. Flying down the DVP as if it's a race track cutting off cagers left and right as if it's just a big video game..... Let's not blame cagers if we cannot be responsible and respectable users of the road ourselves..

It is times like these that we remember some of our own mistakes, and how lucky we have been. One bad mistake on a motorcycle can cause so much grief....

RIP Rider and passenger.

Also, GWS Cager, both physically, and Mentally.

from the comments in The Sun:

Andrew992 hours ago I was driving a car that was east bound when this occurred west bound
within about 5 car lengths in front of us. The wife broke into tears. There
were two bikes traveling in the same direction. The one that made it through
was going at a horrendous clip. I cannot say how fast the bike that hit the car
was going but it looked like it had run into a brick wall.
Seeing the young lady curled up in the gutter is a sight I will never forget

nphelge8 minutes ago Eyewitness on news last night said the driver of the motorcycle tried to overtake cars by going into the bus stop shoulder. Awful waste of life. Lets hope other kids get something from this.

Things like this change your perception forever.

WHat's with the other patient....if the mcycle hit the drivers door must have been at speed to injure the cager enough to hospitalize in critical condition.
Or head on with no seat belt on.
Lot of damage for a crash on a suburban street.

Sad....anyone know the people involved.
So sad to see this.. I don't know them but my question is , I hope the families were contact before the news decided to zoom in on the plates of both the car and bike :( RIP to both..

You need to educate yourself and realize that in the majority of the high fatalities this season, the riders were either described as outright speeding or "erratic" in driving. Look at that car, this guy, with his pillion, was going way too fast. Fast enough to kill them both and destroy a car, on a city road.

Other reports mention he was on the shoulder. This was not an "accident", this was negligent riding. I know that area, and in the evening, it is ripe with f***tards on SS bikes competing for the Darwin award.

You want to live past 22? Then don't assume that cars are the problem. Any study on traffic safety in the last 30 years will tell you that speed difference is what kills, not outright speed. If you accelerate in traffic at twice the pace, then you are invisible half the time drivers typically scan their mirrors. Try driving in a car with guys approaching at those speeds. i think a major problem in younger riders is that they don't drive a car enough.

"Cagers suck" is just another symptom of an epidemic in society of people refusing to take responsibility for their actions. We have nothing to stand on if we don't clean up our own acts first, but the stats from this deadly summer show loss of control and rider at-fault to be major contributions, so watch for insurance and MTO retributions.

I think motorcyclists need to really reconsider what is a road bike. When I was riding at 17-25, 50-75 hp was a big deal, now it's twice that or more, while on the same two wheels.
Japan does not care about rider safety, they will sell you anything to make money.

I think it's time for the MTO to get radical. Ban pillions on SS bikes, and even consider building a road track closer to the GTA, with a drag and stunt area under safety controls and training.
The best road riders you will ever see are the ones going and coming from a racetrack.
This. All of this.

This really makes me so upset and confused, I really don't want to risk my life and the life of my girlfriend by riding in a city that doesn't teach drivers to be wary of motorcyclists. They don't look. You can put up all the signs on those MTO boards that say look out for motorcyclists, give bikers space. It doesn't matter, they're ****ing dumb and think their cage is all that matters on the road. Like the lady said on the news, we don't have that cage that everyone else has. Even if we aren't at fault we still pay the price. I'm honestly taking a break from riding because of how bad it is to ride in and around the GTA. Have you seen the amount of people on their phones while driving? It makes me want to choke them through the driver side window! Maybe that risk of getting hit and killed is just part of riding, and obviously you can die in a car too, but it's just not as likely as it would be on a bike. I just think I'm not ready to die before I turn 22.

TL;DR= cagers suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why the only riding I do in the GTA is on my way out.

these are great suggestions. Our licensing system needs to get a lot tougher. The rider training courses in ontario are a joke. The theory portion is weak and there's no mandatory road test until M...so, since riders get their first license, they've spent hundreds or thousands of kilometres experiencing the dangers of the road, and learning from them, all by themselves.

What happened here is a tragedy. In this case, the rider was speeding but I bet that every single person here has had a close call or two where they were at no fault whatsoever. We need a reciprocate arrangement for drivers where training and fines for careless driving (e.g. Not looking before merging or swerving through a four way intersection) are increased very substantially. I really hope that the OPP and MTO decides to start taking this stuff more seriously.

RIP to the riders and I pray for strength and hope for their families and friends. I wave to every rider and news like this cuts deep as there's something deeply personal and bonding about what we do. Stay safe and ride safe guys

Last edited:
So sad to see this.. I don't know them but my question is , I hope the families were contact before the news decided to zoom in on the plates of both the car and bike :( RIP to both..

I am the mother of the motorcyle driver. I was notified by my 17 yr old son. I called the police to find out more and they could not confirm details. I got an "unofficial" notification at 5am, as the police said it was still under investigation. Did not get "official" confirmation of my son's death until 4pm the next afternoon. My 21 yr old son got to the scene and recognized the bike and helmet.

Positive or negative the comments may be, it is a tragedy for all involved (including witnesses). No one should have to experience a loss like this.

these are great suggestions. Our licensing system needs to get a lot tougher. The rider training courses in ontario are a joke. The theory portion is weak and there's no mandatory road test until M...so, since riders get their first license, they've spent hundreds or thousands of kilometres experiencing the dangers of the road, and learning from them, all by themselves.

What happened here is a tragedy. In this case, the rider was speeding but I bet that every single person here has had a close call or two where they were at no fault whatsoever. We need a reciprocate arrangement for drivers where training and fines for careless driving (e.g. Not looking before merging or swerving through a four way intersection) are increased very substantially. I really hope that the OPP and MTO decides to start taking this stuff more seriously.

RIP to the riders and I pray for strength and hope for their families and friends. I wave to every rider and news like this cuts deep as there's something deeply personal and bonding about what we do. Stay safe and ride safe guys

Were you guys there?
If not why does everyone keep making assumptions that the bike was speeding?
And if the bike was speeding 10km/h over, 20km/h over, does that somehow justify someone turning in front of them and taking them both out?

While we're at it everyone who does 60 in a 60km/h zone raise your hand...crickets

Also i find it strange that no one mentions the fact that a 77 year old man turned IN FRONT of the bike...

I am the mother of the motorcyle driver. I was notified by my 17 yr old son. I called the police to find out more and they could not confirm details. I got an "unofficial" notification at 5am, as the police said it was still under investigation. Did not get "official" confirmation of my son's death until 4pm the next afternoon. My 21 yr old son got to the scene and recognized the bike and helmet.

Positive or negative the comments may be, it is a tragedy for all involved (including witnesses). No one should have to experience a loss like this.

Sorry for your loss. Cant even imagine what you must be going through...

I am very sorry for your loss. I can think of nothing worse and I wish your family the best moving forward.

My heart goes out to you and your family! Deeply sorry for your loss

No, no one should. This is a grave tragedy no matter the circumstances. I live around downtown toronto and if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family please let me know.

I know it's not a popular view here but I do agree with you -- When I did my full M through RTI last year (October 2013) about everyone in my group had only rode short distances in the city, and one guy was at his 5 year mark since the M1X course and had just bought a CBR125R online the week prior. When riding in formation, many had issues keeping up or with positioning, and virtually everyone had issues with ramps and getting up to speed on the highway.

Of the group I was in, the ones that went before me all passed, with the only guy still go to after the kid on the new-to-him 125R. Although I want to say I hope he passed, a big part of me hopes he didn't and got more training, as he kept stalling the bike and almost ran into the curb 9 times out of 10 when making or taking turns.

Condolences. Stay strong

Back
Top Bottom