Another deadly crash | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another deadly crash

As to the member who asked when does a right of way stop being a right of way... Simple answer is when it can cost you your life. When I was a copper we had a saying well that rider/driver was dead right. he had the right of way. but now he is just as dead as he was right. I ALWAYS assume a vehicle is going to invade my lane/area.

" Here lies the body of George O'Day.
He died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he rode along,
But he is just as dead as if he were wrong."

I haven't been riding long, but even in my car I just treat it like no one should have a license. Don't assume right of way, don't assume people can see you, be prepared for the worst case scenario in every situation.

Unfortunately with the amount of incapable drivers/riders, I believe this is the only way to survive. No matter your means of transportation. At the end of the day its your own responsibility to keep yourself safe. There are no accidents on the roads, just a series of miscalculations that can turn catastrophic. (Sometimes 1 or the other driver, sometimes both) do your best to anticipate others mistakes.

Assuming the reports are true both the driver and rider in this situation miscalculated something. Which unfortunately led to the passing of these 2 young people.

To the Mom. I'm very sorry for your loss. I wouldn't wish a parent loosing their child for any reason on anyone.

I, too, am very sorry for you and your family's loss.

When the information becomes available to you and you feel ready to do so, I hope you return to this forum and share with us exactly what happened and your perspective on the matter.

There are certainly many riders here, young and old, who could do with greater understanding of this risks of riding. And I am sure there are mothers and fathers of riders who would appreciate hearing from you as well.

Also, I am sorry you have to see all our speculating. I hope you understand why everyone in this sport/hobby feels a slight personal connection to events like these

I am the mother of the motorcyle driver. I was notified by my 17 yr old son. I called the police to find out more and they could not confirm details. I got an "unofficial" notification at 5am, as the police said it was still under investigation. Did not get "official" confirmation of my son's death until 4pm the next afternoon. My 21 yr old son got to the scene and recognized the bike and helmet.

Positive or negative the comments may be, it is a tragedy for all involved (including witnesses). No one should have to experience a loss like this.

As some have said - maybe bike had right of way but drivers (any age) cannot accurately judge the speed of a motorcycle due to its small size and lack of visual cues that let us properly gauge how far away it is and how fast it is coming. So maybe the driver saw the bike but it is almost certain he did not appreciate how fast it was coming and prob thought it was farther away then it really was. That is why most turning collisions between bikes and cars happen.

As to the rider - heard no bike licence or insurance, stolen bike, stolen plate and what does that say - should he die no - is he a saint no - but if you want to do that don't take a passenger with you

To the mother's of the rider and passenger - my deepest sympathy

RIP Rider. RIP passenger. Sorry for your loss mom.
I was out of the riding scene for about 10 years due to an auto accident and decided to take the RTI refresher course. There were some riders there that I hoped I would never meet on the road. Same goes with the riding basics m1. I have friends that took the course within the last 3 years and said its the easiest way to pass your test. As long as you don't drop the bike they pass you. all it cost is $400.00 + and even the worst rider will get thru. this has to stop. If there are bad riders in the class, Fail them. It could be your life they take next time.

I know this is off topic but it's so true, in my course at centennial id say only 3 or 4 were ready but all 9 passed.. Drops/stalling/ even one girl rear ended me with her Grom! Totally ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As some have said - maybe bike had right of way but drivers (any age) cannot accurately judge the speed of a motorcycle due to its small size and lack of visual cues that let us properly gauge how far away it is and how fast it is coming. So maybe the driver saw the bike but it is almost certain he did not appreciate how fast it was coming and prob thought it was farther away then it really was. That is why most turning collisions between bikes and cars happen.

As good a time as any to re-post V-Tom's SMIDSY link: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...p-you-stay-alive-this-season&highlight=smidsy

Very good technique. Something everyone who rides should watch.

please reread what I wrote. I think you did not comprehend the intent.
We can call it the Ride for Awareness or Don't Kill Me Ride

I kind of understand your point, but, I think we are our own worst enemies. Case in point, I'm on the 401 yesterday heading home in rush hour. Some bozo squid on a super sport comes out of nowhere and passes me in my lane before proceeding to lane split, zigzag, and take the shoulder till he was out of sight.

If a rider doesn't want to be a statistic, don't ride like you want to become one. Pretty simple.

As to the rider - heard no bike licence or insurance, stolen bike, stolen plate and what does that say - should he die no - is he a saint no - but if you want to do that don't take a passenger with you

To the mother's of the rider and passenger - my deepest sympathy

You know - that's not entirely fair. There's a lot of rider blaming going on here, and yes, if witness accounts are correct and judging by the damage to the car, he was at fault; however, lets not forget the morons who on a daily basis don't bother stopping at stop signs, don't bother looking out for oncoming traffic for more than 1 second, who try to squeeze in a turn even though they know that the oncoming car is too close or too quick, who merge without signaling, who turn without signaling, who u-turn through intersections, and who also speed through side-streets and intersections

I've had a driver stare me right in the eyes before turning out infront of me. I've had a driver merge into my lane on the highway without signaling. I've had a driver speed through a turn, and weave into the oncoming traffic lane, I've also had the everyday good old driver merging onto traffic without bothering to look out. I'm sure every single person here has experience some variant of this. I wear a high-viz vest, ride defensively and within the limits and yet I've been seconds away from a bad situation. If drivers bothered to use their brains we would not have so many SMIDSY type accidents or motorcycle fatalities.

I'm not excusing erratic riding. As riders, we're always told to anticipate potential dangers, so why don't cars do the same. Driving a car and ready to take a turn at an intersection? Anticipate what might be coming down the road and wait just that extra second before gassing it through. Merging into fast traffic or on the highway? Use the bloody turn signals and anticipate. A shoulder check won't kill you and it may save someone else.

The responsibility for avoiding such incidents goes both ways. We need to respect the rules of the road and ride within our limits. When you're driving a car, or drivers, also need to do consider other more vulnerable users of the road.

You know - that's not entirely fair. There's a lot of rider blaming going on here, and yes, if witness accounts are correct and judging by the damage to the car, he was at fault; however, lets not forget the morons who on a daily basis don't bother stopping at stop signs, don't bother looking out for oncoming traffic for more than 1 second, who try to squeeze in a turn even though they know that the oncoming car is too close or too quick, who merge without signaling, who turn without signaling, who u-turn through intersections, and who also speed through side-streets and intersections

I've had a driver stare me right in the eyes before turning out infront of me. I've had a driver merge into my lane on the highway without signaling. I've had a driver speed through a turn, and weave into the oncoming traffic lane, I've also had the everyday good old driver merging onto traffic without bothering to look out. I'm sure every single person here has experience some variant of this. I wear a high-viz vest, ride defensively and within the limits and yet I've been seconds away from a bad situation. If drivers bothered to use their brains we would not have so many SMIDSY type accidents or motorcycle fatalities.

I'm not excusing erratic riding. As riders, we're always told to anticipate potential dangers, so why don't cars do the same. Driving a car and ready to take a turn at an intersection? Anticipate what might be coming down the road and wait just that extra second before gassing it through. Merging into fast traffic or on the highway? Use the bloody turn signals and anticipate. A shoulder check won't kill you and it may save someone else.

The responsibility for avoiding such incidents goes both ways. We need to respect the rules of the road and ride within our limits. When you're driving a car, or drivers, also need to do consider other more vulnerable users of the road.

In an ideal world, I would agree. But we can only control our own actions, so the onus is on us to be safe, no matter what other drivers do.

(eshum) Sorry just got to this now.

I do not take people's speculations personally. Everyone has the right to their opinions on what happened on the night of August 28, 2014. The only people who will ever know the truth are my son (Mykel), his passenger (Cassandra), and the driver of the car. The police offered no insight to me. I actually had to read in the follow-up article that the bike was stolen and that there were no charges to be laid. (Maybe I am blind, bias, or ignorant) but usually a left hand turn is an automatic "at-fault" charge. I also learned of the bike being stolen through the media.

Whenever I am out driving and I see erratic driving by motorcycle drivers, my heart sinks and I feel nauseous. If I have the opportunity to educate the driver (about the loss I have experienced), I hope they go away with a new appreciation of their life and what devastation their families will endure for the remainder of their lives, if this loss happened. (something no one should ever have to endure)

It will be three years soon and not a day goes by that my son is not in my waking thoughts. I have learned from this experience that life is short and we should live, love, and laugh as if everyday is our last. -- there is an empty feeling in my heart (that will never go away), and I know that my son never went out that evening with the thought to cause such grief and pain, and to never come home again. (I also know the driver of the car never went out with a plan to injury/take lives that evening either.) No one should every have to experience this!

We as family have accepted Mykel's loss. We live our lives with him in mind, and know he watches over us and is proud of us.

Please ride safe!

Last edited:
This is why the only riding I do in the GTA is on my way out.

It can happen anywhere......Yesterday i was traveling on a paved country road (Full daylight) in Northumberland...50km at turn speed limit...came upon a tight blind corner..I decided (don't know why) to slow it right down, drop a few gears ..just as i started to lean in, a car coming head on appeared 1/2 in my lane... Proper speed (me)at the turn saved my ***.....IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE.....be careful everyone.

Back
Top Bottom