2001 Honda CBR F4i not catching gears at high revs | GTAMotorcycle.com

2001 Honda CBR F4i not catching gears at high revs

Soyabean

Hello,

I have a 2001 Honda CBR F4i with 48k. This started happening recently when I shift at 9k+ rpm to the next gear. My bike would just rev up without going anywhere when i pull back on the throttle so I would left off and as the rpm falls to around 6k it would catch whatever gear it is suppose to be in.

I dont know if anyone has had that happen but this is happening more frequently now. Pretty much everytime. I am due for an oil change which I will do on saturday but I wanted to know is there something wrong with my clutch or transmission?

Thanks in advance

Could have rounded your dog ears in your transmission.
Does it happen in certain gears or every gear?
Does it only happen when shifting or does it happen on WOT as well?

Clutch. Cheap and easy to replace.

I was thinking that too. Where can I pick up a clutch for a good price? This is my first bike but this has gone through a couple of owners already.

Could have rounded your dog ears in your transmission.
Does it happen in certain gears or every gear?
Does it only happen when shifting or does it happen on WOT as well?

Hmmmm. I noticed this happens on either the 3 or 4th gear. Havent tried it on 5th or 6th as I havent gone that fast before. This only happens when shifting. If I stay on 1 gear with WOT (wide open throttle i assume) the bike pulls and does not slip.

I was thinking that too. Where can I pick up a clutch for a good price? This is my first bike but this has gone through a couple of owners already.

Hmmmm. I noticed this happens on either the 3 or 4th gear. Havent tried it on 5th or 6th as I havent gone that fast before. This only happens when shifting. If I stay on 1 gear with WOT (wide open throttle i assume) the bike pulls and does not slip.
If it is only during shifting I doubt its your clutch, if it was your clutch it would pro ably slip on WOT up near the powerband.....

If it is only during shifting I doubt its your clutch, if it was your clutch it would pro ably slip on WOT up near the powerband.....

Get it into a high gear, high rpm, chop the throttle and then WOT, does it slip?

Get it into a high gear, high rpm, chop the throttle and then WOT, does it slip?

I dont feel confident enough to do that. To be in a high gear and high rpm i would have to be going pretty fast. This is my first bike and first season :(

Stop by. I'll have a look for you. Feel free to Pm me

Sorry just trying to get my head around this is the bike actually in gear and is it not pulling? If so the comments are likely accurate in clutch however if the bike is actually not grabbing the gear until you let off there could be something else at play a little more mechanical. The spinning gearbox/primary drive may be hanging up either due to a mechanical issue or even a hydraulic locking. What oil are you using? How old is it? What level?

Stop by. I'll have a look for you. Feel free to Pm me
Thanks Frekeyguy. I read that you do really great work on forums. If I cant fix this by this weekend, i'll give you a shout but I will need to drop by anyways because my horn is not working and I want to write my M test.

Sorry just trying to get my head around this is the bike actually in gear and is it not pulling? If so the comments are likely accurate in clutch however if the bike is actually not grabbing the gear until you let off there could be something else at play a little more mechanical. The spinning gearbox/primary drive may be hanging up either due to a mechanical issue or even a hydraulic locking. What oil are you using? How old is it? What level?
The bike is pulling when in gear. So heres the scenario when it slips

I WOT up to like 10k or so > Clutch > Shift to next gear (2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th) > Let off clutch > WOT
When this happens, my RPM is already in the next gear so when i pull back on the throttle, I expect my bike to pull. Instead, the RPMs go up and my bike is revving and not pulling at all. I then left off the throttle and when it drops down to like 6k RPM, i feel the bike catching on to the gear and only then, when WOT will my bike accelerate.

Im really bad at explaining things :(. But anyways im due for an oil change this weekend so im going to do it first and hopes this fixes the issue. Im using the Motul 4100 oil. I'll keep you updated to see if it fixes the issue after my oil change.

Yup :D
No Biggie if you do plates steels and springs and yourself $200 and your done

Actually i think i was just low on oil. I changed it and it runs great again! haha. I've been testing it many times this weekend and it didnt happen so im glad it was nothing major.

Thanks everyone for your help

Back
Top Bottom