Low-speed wobble after tightening steering stem nut. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Low-speed wobble after tightening steering stem nut.

Matt Rain

Site Supporter
I'd been meaning to tighten my steering stem ever since I got the bike last year - I could feel a slight "clunk" when I braked suddenly.

Turns out, my steering stem ring nut was almost completely loose. I rode the bike that way for close to 5,000 kms.
wah.gif

I torqued everything up to spec and checked that the steering was smooth. All good. The bike now feels a lot more solid over irregular roads, bumps, etc.

This morning though, riding the smooth pavement of Lakeshore W between Spadina and Parkside Drive, I could feel a slow wobble at around 60-70km/h. And by slow I mean, the bike weaves by itself, slightly left for about 50 meters, then slightly right for another 50 meters. I can let go of the steering and it'll keep weaving at the same slow speed.

I'm thinking the tires need to be replaced after being ridden 5k+ kms with a loose steering stem, but could it be something else?

Your stem bearings could be messed up too. Tires are an easier place to start though.

With the front wheel off the ground check from lock to lock for a smooth feel with zero notchines. If it is smooth then I would suspect a very slight over tightness and recheck the setting.

I've already checked the steering with the wheel off the ground, it's perfectly smooth. But yeah, I'll try loosening it some, thanks.

How are you checking. How's the wheel propped off the ground. Be detailed

Bike on center stand, one hand pushing the back of the bike down, the other hand swinging the steering back and forth.

I re-torqued the ring nut, from the listed spec of 27ft/lbs to an even 20ft/lbs. Seems to have done the trick, but I only test-rode it for 5 mins on pretty bumpy roads. Will take Lakeshore W again tomorrow morning, that stretch of asphalt is pristine.

Last edited:
So the weave/wobble is still there and I think I figured out why - my front tire has gone to **** since the beginning of the season. Upon closer inspection, there are hairline cracks all over the tread and some raised areas along the middle. Doh!

Ima put a brand new Avon AM26 and go from there.

I had the same happen to me on a BT-020. I couldn't let go the bars or I'd get a tank slapper. Now I check the front tread much more often.

Torquing a steering head bearing just right is a bit of black magic, as I've gone both too tight, too loose and then found just right.

The clunk is back too, under hard braking. Guess it's time for a complete rehaul of the front end.

Weird, I just tightened my steering bearings on my SV650, and had the same thing happen. Except for me I get the wobble at very slow speeds, from a stop I can feel things are off. I'm fairly sure it's not the tires in my case, since they're fairly new, and it was riding fine until I tightened the bearings.

Get someone to check it out.

I don't know about your bikes, but on my old cb750, changing the steering head ball bearings to tapered roller bearings is a vital update. (All Balls brand is good.) That, and the swing arm bushings are the 2 critical pivot points of a motorcycle's skeleton.

I don't know about your bikes, but on my old cb750, changing the steering head ball bearings to tapered roller bearings is a vital update. (All Balls brand is good.) That, and the swing arm bushings are the 2 critical pivot points of a motorcycle's skeleton.

All balls does not make / mfg , they use china brand bearings.

For what these bearings are doing - they're good enough.

All balls does not make / mfg , they use china brand bearings.

For what these bearings are doing - they're good enough.

did not know that, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom