Used 2012 Ninja250 sitting for 2 years, should I be concerned? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used 2012 Ninja250 sitting for 2 years, should I be concerned?

Matty8

Im looking to buy a used ninja250 from someone who hardly ever rode it, as far as I know it probably sat for 2 full years. They have never performed any maintenance on the bike so I'm worried there could be problems with it after sitting for so long. The owner says it was garage stored both winters.

I'm going to see the bike tomorrow, anything I should look out for? I'm thinking dead battery, old oil, gas, etc?

UPDATE: Thanks for everyone for the advice. I checked out the bike Thursday and landed up buying it today. it has 90km on it, near perfect condition. It was in the shop when I bought it, for safety and some minor maintenance. Overall very happy with it! Now just to jump through all the other hoops to get it on the road...

Last edited:
Maybe look for one that hasn't sat for 2 years.

Seriously though, depends on the milage and the price. All fluids would need to be changed. Maybe even need new tires since it's been sitting for 2 years, depends on how they stored it.

If you like it, don't do a deal until you get a mechanic to look at it.

At the end of the day, it's all about the price. If the price is cheap enough, then get it. As Joey said - you will most likely have to change tires if it sat on the ground, not on the stands. Oil/filter you would have to do anyway. Coolant and brake fluid - don't see why you'd need to change those.

At the end of the day, it's all about the price. If the price is cheap enough, then get it. As Joey said - you will most likely have to change tires if it sat on the ground, not on the stands. Oil/filter you would have to do anyway. Coolant and brake fluid - don't see why you'd need to change those.

It has less than 500km, what would you pay?

<$3000

Expect a plugged jet in the carb, not hard to fix, but I doubt it will run well right now.

plus carbs would prob. need to be cleaned out.

If it's less than 500km, i'd get it. Might not be top notch, but for sure not a wreck

Treat it like any used bike. If it starts and runs properly then make an offer. If it doesn't then walk away.

for the amount of time that it has been sitting, if you are prepared to do some work on it, go for it. If you are new and want to ride a bike and not deal with hassles fixing, and discovering problems then maybe look somewhere else.

I have about 4yrs of riding and I would not mind a fixer bike, you may be new and might want to ride your 2 wheels rather than wrench it.

no-money.jpg

As a DR i urge you to get 3 bikes...

Congrats.
It only had 50km. That's the equivalent of buying a new bike. Even new bikes on the showroom floor would be sitting there for years

Congrats. It only had 50km. That's the equivalent of buying a new bike. Even new bikes on the showroom floor would be sitting there for years
Except the warranty is long gone. 50km is not enough to find out if it's a lemon.

Back
Top Bottom