Newfoundland and Labrador ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newfoundland and Labrador ride

Lol. I'm going to have to save that for later.

How was the ride?

Diesel did that trip this summer as well.

You seem to have gotten a bit of rain.

We had one day of it between Churchill Falls and Hvgb.

Nice edit btw.

Trip was great! The 100 or so Km stretch of road from Baie-Comeau, Quebec, was probably the best road on the entire trip. Labrador was one rainy mess - but we got through itl. Some big pot holes on the dirt roads, especially between Port-Hope-Simpson and Red Bay. Overall, everything was enjoyable, except maybe Maine between New Brunswick and New Hampshire was lame.

I'd say good choice of bikes (F700GS and F800GS), and good thing we put on knobby tires (slightly deflated) over the dirty bits, as none of us had any punctures - but we talked to many other bikers and drivers who did. My tire had a big gash at one point, but I guess it didn't puncture the tube on the inside, so we were able to keep going.

Had a great time in general, no incidents, aside from my reserve fuel canister falling off my bike - which could have turned into a much worse situation than it had. The F700GS had some minor electrical issues, but we rode about 3 days of heavy rain, so I guess it took a toll on the thing. Too many great memories to recall them all here though.

That stretch from PHS to Red Bay, and the Fire Lake bit were the worst of it. I found myself wishing I had a more aggressive front tire for those bits.

I keep thinking about mounting some TKC 80s on my Versys and doing it again, that video along the trans lab brought back some good memories, of leaving Tat2 behind when he had to take a whiz, cause the black flies would find a way into your helmet while you waited, and riding along with flies in your ears really really sucks. Lol.

We learned to abandon them to their fate and slowly ride ahead in first gear till they caught up.

Yeah, the black flies were quite terrible. I found that if you put bug spray on your helmet, and around the entrance of it, it sort of helps to keep them away. I did get some nasty bites though.

I did have TKC-80s actually. Pretty good tire. Would PROBABLY make the trip back home, but I wasn't going to risk it, so I changed the rear tire in Halifax before coming back. I have a friend there, so I shipped him the OEM rear tire, and when I got to Hali, I did the swap there in his garage. It worked well, actually.

Better safe than sorry. They are tubeless on your bike, correct?

No actually, the F800GS has tube tires. Only the R1200GS has the fancy new spoke wheels that don't need tubes.

Back
Top Bottom