Helicoil or new head? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helicoil or new head?

Steve675r

So I have a decision. An 02 ninja 500.
One spark plug won't tighten looks like the threads are blown out.
looks like I have one of two options... A new head or a helicoil insert.
the helicoil kit will cost me $170 from napa...
thoughts?

Try a thread chaser first.

The first thing to do is run a thread chaser down the hole to see if that helps.

You should be able to find that heli-coil kit for about half that price, try industrial suppliers. You will be better off if you use something like a Timecert, solid inserts work better than coiled inserts like helicoils. Princess Auto sells a plug hole repair kit with solid inserts.

Most shops can do this repair for you for less than $170 IF you don't mind doing the repair without removing the head.

Maybe look around for a better price or a shop that will do the repair for you... Why you were quoted $170 for a helicoil kit is beyond me when you can get one for a M10 thread for $35-40.
A quick google search confirmed napa is out to lunch on that one

I blew out a spark plug on a turbocharged auto and was charged $50 to to have a helicoil repair done in situ. Never a problem after and the car was on the road for years more.

As in Triumph triples. i've had a few.

Go insert first make sure to grease the hole before taping to catch the shavings keeping them OUT of the cylinder.

The first thing to do is run a thread chaser down the hole to see if that helps.

You should be able to find that heli-coil kit for about half that price, try industrial suppliers. You will be better off if you use something like a Timecert, solid inserts work better than coiled inserts like helicoils. Princess Auto sells a plug hole repair kit with solid inserts.

Most shops can do this repair for you for less than $170 IF you don't mind doing the repair without removing the head.

I was looking at those plug repair kits online... Have you read the feedback on them? They are garbage!
Like you say, timeserts or keenserts by nature are better than helicoil a but if helicoil a are installed properly, I've never seen a failure. Stay away from those garbage aluminum inserts though.

When I had this problem the cost of putting on a new head was a little more than having a helicoil put in (labour costs to get at the engine). I couldn't find anyone that would do a timesert, only helicoils. I didn't feel comfortable relying on a spring to hold a spark plug against the pressures of the explosion of gas in cylinder would create and be pointing at my crotch at the same time. That's a whole level of kink I don't wish to explore.

A helicoiled thread is stronger than the original thread for pull out strength on an aluminum head.

When I had this problem the cost of putting on a new head was a little more than having a helicoil put in (labour costs to get at the engine). I couldn't find anyone that would do a timesert, only helicoils. I didn't feel comfortable relying on a spring to hold a spark plug against the pressures of the explosion of gas in cylinder would create and be pointing at my crotch at the same time. That's a whole level of kink I don't wish to explore.

Hmmmm didnt I do that head for you? That was years ago, VFR if I remember?

In school we were taught not to have threads in aluminum without an insert. Especially with fasteners that are removed on a regular basis. Since school I've pretty much ignored that rule though! Lol
The idea behind it is the shear strength of the material... With a helicoil insert, you are effectively increasing the area in shear on the weaker material. (Bigger diameter thread)
so it is stronger.

Back
Top Bottom