Texting while driving could lead to $1,000 fine, 3 demerits | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Texting while driving could lead to $1,000 fine, 3 demerits

I just came back from a trip in the states. Unfortunately i forgot the state. But they had signs on roads stating you lose your licence on your third texting offense

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

sure as soon as the police and emerg services loose their exemption I have almost been hit twice by DRP officers while they talk on the phone if its SO dangerous for us mere mortals to use devices while driving then its just as dangerous for the police/emerg services

Fire is exempted but the driver can NOT operate his phone while operating appartus. It's been part of our SOG's for a few years ..

I just came back from a trip in the states. Unfortunately i forgot the state. But they had signs on roads stating you lose your licence on your third texting offense

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Missouri it's 21 and under no. Like 21 and up are some magically skilled drivers. They're pushing now to make it 0 for anyone.

Simple solution.
Offending text and drive faces Careless Driving charges - 'cause that is exactly what it is.
Multiple thousand dollar fine and a huge whack of points (6+ ?).

Only people who will object to that law are people who knowingly offend.

When this was proposed I commented, repeatedly, that the definition of 'operation without due care and attention' should just have been updated to include this sort of thing, rather than creating new law.

It may become like booze, you can't have a device within reach of the driver or you are guilty even if you don't get caught touching it. This raises problems for GPS devices, which opens a hole for a phone used as a GPS device, etc.[/QUOTE]

How would this apply to the vehicles with the in-dash navi and phone set ups?

It may become like booze, you can't have a device within reach of the driver or you are guilty even if you don't get caught touching it. This raises problems for GPS devices, which opens a hole for a phone used as a GPS device, etc.

How would this apply to the vehicles with the in-dash navi and phone set ups?[/QUOTE]

I know my in dash navi wont let you do anything once the vehicle is in motion. So you set your way points and go .. it kinda sucks if the passenger is trying to program it though.

[video]http://www.wimp.com/textingdriving/[/video]

I think that's the longest post you've ever made.

But yeh, I guess they need another source of income.

Sent from my tablet using my paws

You have to love the hypocrisies of some GTAM members. How often do people come on this forum and complain of people distracted driving while texting. So the GOVERNMENT not the Police introduce stiffer penalties and a few say it is a "cash grab" so what is it you want them to do??? Let the distracting driving continue unabated, due to the inadequate penalties or stiffen the penalties, it can't be both..lol

Forget texting and driving for a minute - on my way to work every morning, I consistently see women in their cars putting on makeup with the visor down all the way.
Their attention focused on everything but driving.

Imagine my frustration having to juggle holding my coffee, opening the window, and yelling at them to pay attention; all while trying to steer with my knee. RIDICULOUS I tell you!

You have to love the hypocrisies of some GTAM members. How often do people come on this forum and complain of people distracted driving while texting. So the GOVERNMENT not the Police introduce stiffer penalties and a few say it is a "cash grab" so what is it you want them to do??? Let the distracting driving continue unabated, due to the inadequate penalties or stiffen the penalties, it can't be both..lol

What needs to be done, is a campaign not at all unlike the one that resulted in impaired operation of a vehicle no longer being socially acceptable. That has been almost completely successful, but took decades to have the desired effect. This battle will not be won overnight and simply jacking up fines, and adding points on licenses, is not going to have the desired effect. It's a typical feel good knee jerk reaction by politicians, in an effort to look like they are doing something for the electorate.

Want to have a real effect? Start by treating it like impaired operation, because it is very much like impaired operation. As I indicated above, and as I have been saying from the point at which the possibility of this law was discussed, simply modify the existing statute for 'operation without due care and attention' to include the operation of an electronic device. And. Then. PROSECUTE. In addition start an ad campaign, as was done in the early days of the anti impaired driving movement, to show people why it's such a dumb thing to do. I've seen a few such commercials, here and there, but nothing like I remember for impaired operation back in the '70s.

What needs to be done, is a campaign not at all unlike the one that resulted in impaired operation of a vehicle no longer being socially acceptable. That has been almost completely successful, but took decades to have the desired effect. This battle will not be won overnight and simply jacking up fines, and adding points on licenses, is not going to have the desired effect. It's a typical feel good knee jerk reaction by politicians, in an effort to look like they are doing something for the electorate.

Want to have a real effect? Start by treating it like impaired operation, because it is very much like impaired operation. As I indicated above, and as I have been saying from the point at which the possibility of this law was discussed, simply modify the existing statute for 'operation without due care and attention' to include the operation of an electronic device. And. Then. PROSECUTE. In addition start an ad campaign, as was done in the early days of the anti impaired driving movement, to show people why it's such a dumb thing to do. I've seen a few such commercials, here and there, but nothing like I remember for impaired operation back in the '70s.

I agree for the most part however with DUI there is a way to mostly prove the person was under the influence...proving the person was looking at facebook? Other than the cop's word.... and we all know that they always tell the truth!

I agree for the most part however with DUI there is a way to mostly prove the person was under the influence...proving the person was looking at facebook? Other than the cop's word.... and we all know that they always tell the truth!

One word: Cameras.

No thanks!
cropped-big-brother-is-watching-1984.jpg

Except the cameras in cruisers are forward facing no way to see if the driver next to the cruiser is texting. While I agree the fine increase and points alone won't work. I also don't think an education program is going to be that effective. I mean we hear it daily the 401/407 signs display it often and it doesn't seem to have helped that much it has to be a concerted effort on many levels.

No thanks!
cropped-big-brother-is-watching-1984.jpg

Thing is that cameras work both ways. How many times has someone, here, said that police should be forced to use cameras during stops so that their actions can be justified? They not only provide solid evidence for prosecution; they provide protection from abuse of authority. If a camera is present, but not used, it also raises the question as to why that was the case.

Thing is that cameras work both ways. How many times has someone, here, said that police should be forced to use cameras during stops so that their actions can be justified? They not only provide solid evidence for prosecution; they provide protection from abuse of authority. If a camera is present, but not used, it also raises the question as to why that was the case.
I think I misinterpreted your post to mean cameras installed in citizen's cars.

Carry on my good man.

This raises problems for GPS devices, which opens a hole for a phone used as a GPS device, etc.

How would this apply to the vehicles with the in-dash navi and phone set ups?
We had a comprehensive discussion about this in another thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?182114

As long as you're not holding your phone and it's properly mounted, you can legally use it as a GPS: Google Maps, Waze, Trapster.

The hand-held law doesn't prohibit you from using in-dash products like navigation, phone, bluetooth, audio controls, onstar. Having said that, lets say you were programming your in-dash navi and got into an accident then careless or dangerous driving could apply.

We had a comprehensive discussion about this in another thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?182114

As long as you're not holding your phone and it's properly mounted, you can legally use it as a GPS: Google Maps, Waze, Trapster.

The hand-held law doesn't prohibit you from using in-dash products like navigation, phone, bluetooth, audio controls, onstar. Having said that, lets say you were programming your in-dash navi and got into an accident then careless or dangerous driving could apply.

Thanks. Will read that thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom