Texting while driving could lead to $1,000 fine, 3 demerits | GTAMotorcycle.com

Texting while driving could lead to $1,000 fine, 3 demerits

They should make the penalty for murder 25 years in jail! Then no one get killed!

Huehuehuehuehuehue

They should make the penalty for murder 25 years in jail! Then no one get killed!

Huehuehuehuehuehue

I think that's the longest post you've ever made.

But yeh, I guess they need another source of income.

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Few years back a company called origo made an ignition interlock with a phone docking station. Seeing how many drivers text and (try to) drive I'm surprised this didn't catch on in a bigger way.

If I had a child learning to drive and they proved to be unreliable regarding phone use and driving I would check this out for sure.

Cell phone jammers? Interlock system for offenders? A solution has to be made for offenders. Just like DUI.

Few years back a company called origo made an ignition interlock with a phone docking station. Seeing how many drivers text and (try to) drive I'm surprised this didn't catch on in a bigger way.

If I had a child learning to drive and they proved to be unreliable regarding phone use and driving I would check this out for sure.

Cell phone jammers? Interlock system for offenders? A solution has to be made for offenders. Just like DUI.

The simplest is taking the device when you get pulled over. This has an immediate effect. My problem with that is you are being punished prior to trial (similar to the problems with 172).

It may become like booze, you can't have a device within reach of the driver or you are guilty even if you don't get caught touching it. This raises problems for GPS devices, which opens a hole for a phone used as a GPS device, etc.

sure as soon as the police and emerg services loose their exemption I have almost been hit twice by DRP officers while they talk on the phone if its SO dangerous for us mere mortals to use devices while driving then its just as dangerous for the police/emerg services

I agree 100%, they aren't gods gift to driving, however if they weren't granted the exemption, they would refuse to issue the tickets.

Noticed in NY state the signs on the road saying that after 3 text and driving infractions, loss of licence. Which I fully support. Talking and driving, whether hands free or not (I don't think there's a difference) isn't the issue to me. It's the ******** with their face in their lap that are going to kill you while you're stopped behind an SUV at a light.

It's the ******** with their face in their lap that are going to kill you while you're stopped behind an SUV at a light.
It's the people who're really creative in hiding their hand-held use that are the problem.

I can never comprehend, people who spend $800 on expensive smartphones... but aren't willing to spend an extra $20 on a secure mount for their vehicle (windshield, vent-clip, dashboard). I personally have tapped on my cellphone to answer a call while it was mounted; this was in front of police officers who were right beside my window... they had zero problems with it.

The reason we have high compliance with seat-belts, is because it's a "demerit point offence". The same reason why drivers speed up to 15 km/hr, because over that is a "demerit point offence".

Ontario's finest don't fully understand the consequences of zero-point minor convictions. Which is why they go to trial/resolution meetings on all fours begging for "no-points".
sure as soon as the police and emerg services loose their exemption I have almost been hit twice by DRP officers while they talk on the phone if its SO dangerous for us mere mortals to use devices while driving then its just as dangerous for the police/emerg services
Most police agencies in Ontario have internal directives that require them to pull over to make personal calls. They're only allowed to use their phone for emergencies.

Personally, I think it's super low... when citizens even suggest to deprive emergency service personnel from being able to use cell phones or any other means of communication. They're out there to protect and save your life; they're not ordering pizza or take-out.

http://www.680news.com/2014/03/04/d...d-more-2013-deaths-than-impaired-driving-opp/

In 2013 seventy-eight people were killed in distracted driving collisions compared to 57 impaired deaths and 44 speed-related ones. The number of crashes involving distracted driving was higher than both impaired and speed-related fatalities.

The OPP laid 19,000 distracted driving charges in a year. I did a little quick math and realized that I've likely seen no fewer than half that number, myself, in the same period of time. What does that say about the number who are actually still doing this, despite the legislation? What does this say about the odds of someone who is doing it actually being hit with this fine? How many of those 19,000 were actually repeats of the same driver?

Personally, I think it's super low... when citizens even suggest to deprive emergency service personnel from being able to use cell phones or any other means of communication. They're out there to protect and save your life; they're not ordering pizza or take-out.

They are not special lots of people do dangerous jobs. don't like it find another line of work. they have NEVER saved my life and im not wanting them too. the 2 DRP cops who almost hit me were on their personal phones (drp did not issue iphones at that time) so your telling me they were using their personal phones to do police work with...ya right

so

I think the exemption for emergency services is intended to cover off the use of the 2-way radio, mobile work station, etc. that are part of routine police work. And, it's not getting easier for the officers, with more and more involved software that is tied to the vehicle. The workstations nowadays have GPS integrated, chat windows, instant updates that require acknowledgement, the entire call can be dispatched through the computer. There are policies as suggested above that prohibit the officers from using cell phones for non-work purposes. Rest assured, if an officer crashes while using a cell phone, they will be charged just the same as a civilian.

yes the police allways face the same punishment as us mere civvies

IE DRP officer pulls loaded pistol on another officer faces NO criminal charges wonder what would happen if I pointed a pistol at another person? oh that's right min sentence for gun crimes, lose my PAL lose my job (no paid suspension for mere civvies)

Last edited:
HahahahahahahhahaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAhahahahahahhaahHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHALOL
Yeah I know right, when the hell does that ever happen today. The police force has been so corrupt for ages. They'll do anything to maintain a clean reputation and stand behind their officers when they were clearly in the wrong. I've seen it time and time again.

I guess I can't speak for the municipal services. What I know is that if I get into a collision, even a minor one, it's investigated by the traffic support unit, who take measurements, photos, and do black box downloads. If there's evidence there that I did something illegal, I will be charged for it.

I guess I can't speak for the municipal services. What I know is that if I get into a collision, even a minor one, it's investigated by the traffic support unit, who take measurements, photos, and do black box downloads. If there's evidence there that I did something illegal, I will be charged for it.

what about if a cop used a cell phone for personal reasons, or texting while driving, no accident occurs? would he still get a $1000 fine?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Simple solution.
Offending text and drive faces Careless Driving charges - 'cause that is exactly what it is.
Multiple thousand dollar fine and a huge whack of points (6+ ?).

Only people who will object to that law are people who knowingly offend.

Simple solution.
Offending text and drive faces Careless Driving charges - 'cause that is exactly what it is.
Multiple thousand dollar fine and a huge whack of points (6+ ?).

Only people who will object to that law are people who knowingly offend.

Bingo. We have a winner. This is exactly what should happen.

Back
Top Bottom