Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial

What is wrong with aspiring to ride like a pro?

"... Toronto’s health department has warned that frequent exposure to excessive noise can cause medical problems related to sleep loss and stress, as well as impaired hearing."
.......Big deal.

Let loud bikes be loud. For me they just pass and in a few seconds all is reasonable again. Think about the guy who is actually riding the noise generator. He/she must listen to it all the time. Riding a loud bike has its rewards, ie. a momentary glance by a stranger wondering what all the noise is about, for the price of life-long hearing impairment. Seems reasonable to me.

Let loud bikes be loud. For me they just pass and in a few seconds all is reasonable again. Think about the guy who is actually riding the noise generator. He/she must listen to it all the time. Riding a loud bike has its rewards, ie. a momentary glance by a stranger wondering what all the noise is about, for the price of life-long hearing impairment. Seems reasonable to me.

Lots of them wear earplugs.

Which makes you wonder why the hell their bikes are loud?

My bike is loud, but I love every single cylinder fire that barks out of the pipe.
Earplugs would be an abomination.

before someone comes back and says the plugs are for wind noise, you need to ride somewhere like the highway to get wind noise. These SOA wannabes just ride down the straight main roads to the local Timmies etc.

before someone comes back and says the plugs are for wind noise, you need to ride somewhere like the highway to get wind noise. These SOA wannabes just ride down the straight main roads to the local Timmies etc.

Which is how you know that the noise is for their teeming hordes of (perceived) fans and not for themselves.

Good to meet you, by the way.

This is happening in Alberta, and if it works, be prepared for this in Ontario:

[h=1]Motorcycle noise sparks $850,000 lawsuit by Alberta retiree against local ‘cretins’[/h]

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...uit-by-alberta-retiree-against-local-cretins/

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a bike shop owner in Edmonton claimed the scourge of ever-louder Harleys is on the wane, adding “straight pipes” actually decrease the power of the bike. Translation: the louder the roar, the slower the ride.

“The biker world is becoming epidemic,” Mr. Jones says. “The bad-*** image sells.”

Which is how you know that the noise is for their teeming hordes of (perceived) fans and not for themselves.

Good to meet you, by the way.

yes, likewise.
:wave:

Further to that motorcyclists should not have to rev their engines to alert other drivers of their presence at every stop. I find it to be more of a hazard as that sound tends to drown everything else out.

Highways are boring, so are the turds who stop at every timmies.

Wong-Tam and Matlow are definitely not friends of the motorcycling community. Where Wong-Tam is concerned, her reasoning for the elimination of free on-street parking for motorcycles is tragically flawed. The response from her office to my inquiry, a couple of years back, gave me a serious case of mental whiplash that lasted for days.

Wong-Tam and Matlow are definitely not friends of the motorcycling community. Where Wong-Tam is concerned, her reasoning for the elimination of free on-street parking for motorcycles is tragically flawed. The response from her office to my inquiry, a couple of years back, gave me a serious case of mental whiplash that lasted for days.

Both councillors represent the wealthiest areas of the city, and they get a lot of complaints from the people who vote for them about bike noise.
Toronto has been overrun with **********. No noise complaints about those loud sports cars.

I feel for the residents, there are parts around where I live where every single summer weekend is a f-cktard parade of guys riding the hogs from one Timmies to another with straight pipes, it's relentless noise and all completely unnecessary. But, there are also guys with Lamborghinis and Ferraris that are equally loud.

Oakville bylaws are 92Dba idling, 96Dba at speed, 100Dba for triples or fours. That's still pretty loud, especially when you get 10-12 guys in a pack.

90-95Dba is where hearing damage starts.

But, to put this in perspective, a subway train at 200 feet away is 95Dba, and a lawnmower can be 107DBa at 6 feet.
Under the bylaw, a motorcycle cannot be operated in Oakville if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dBA (decibels) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50 centimetres by means of a sound level meter while the motorcycle is idling.
The bylaw also says a one, two, five or six-cylinder motorcycle cannot be driven in Oakville if its noise exceeds 96 dBA (at 2,000 RPM). A three or four-cylinder motorcycle cannot be driven if its noise exceeds 100 dBA (at 5,000 RPM).

Alright, time to slash my exhaust off.

Who's with me?!

油井緋色;2289250 said:
Alright, time to slash my exhaust off.

Who's with me?!

Yeah, that will work wonders to convince the councillors that motorcycle noise restrictions are not necessary.

Some riders really are their own worst enemies. Rebels without a clue.

Back
Top Bottom