Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial

Last edited:
"... Toronto’s health department has warned that frequent exposure to excessive noise can cause medical problems related to sleep loss and stress, as well as impaired hearing."

Our neighbours lawnmower makes a racket for 20 minutes and can be heard from a block away, followed by 10 minutes of the whirring trimmer. So a noisy motorcycle rips through the street for 10 seconds. Big deal.

I don't support loud pipes but I'm tired of small-time (and small-minded) politicians picking at us as low hanging fruit. If you live in Toronto (I don't, thank Christ), contact your local councillor and let him/her know that you are against this proposal.
As for Wong-Tam, who's sponsoring the bylaw, she's a piece of work. She was the original owner of the website Queers Against Israeli Apartheid, a group that's been steeped in controversy since its inception.

Our neighbours lawnmower makes a racket for 20 minutes and can be heard from a block away, followed by 10 minutes of the whirring trimmer. So a noisy motorcycle rips through the street for 10 seconds. Big deal.
Agree that the motorcycle is a passing noise, but:
1. It's unlikely your neighbour modified his lawn mower with aftermarket parts to make it louder, so the loudness issue is something that should be addressed via the manufacturer,
2. It's also unlikely your neighbour cuts his grass throughout the night when the majority of people are trying to sleep.

Agree that the motorcycle is a passing noise, but:
1. It's unlikely your neighbour modified his lawn mower with aftermarket parts to make it louder, so the loudness issue is something that should be addressed via the manufacturer,
2. It's also unlikely your neighbour cuts his grass throughout the night when the majority of people are trying to sleep.

So, if someone is making a racket in a residential area after 11pm, give them a ticket. No need for more laws, enforce what's on the books.

So, if someone is making a racket in a residential area after 11pm, give them a ticket. No need for more laws, enforce what's on the books.
My understanding is the noise bylaw, as currently written, is essentially un-enforceable if it goes to court, hence the introduction of new guidelines in many municipalities, that provide strict limits and testing methods.

Calm down folks. If you don't ride a Harley with straight drag pipes or a racer with a gutted Growler, you'll be okay.

Some bikes are excessively noisy I must agree. But it is also when and where it is done. I always enjoyed listening to bikes well before I became a motorcyclist. But I believe if motorcycles are going to be singled out, so should all other small engined things, trucks, buses whatever.
Its just going to be too hard to convict these matters.
Pretty soon the government is going to tell us when we are allowed to go upstairs to the bedroom with our spouses for sexytime. Ridiculous. There are much worse places in the world for noise that happens all year round. Motorcycles are out for three months of the year. Lets settle down.
Our city resources can be put to better use.

Well, you and your spouse are way too loud.

Some bikes are excessively noisy I must agree. But it is also when and where it is done. I always enjoyed listening to bikes well before I became a motorcyclist. But I believe if motorcycles are going to be singled out, so should all other small engined things, trucks, buses whatever.
Its just going to be too hard to convict these matters.
Pretty soon the government is going to tell us when we are allowed to go upstairs to the bedroom with our spouses for sexytime. Ridiculous. There are much worse places in the world for noise that happens all year round. Motorcycles are out for three months of the year. Lets settle down.
Our city resources can be put to better use.

Another grandstanding left-wing paternalist trying to pass laws that constrict freedoms. I was downtown a couple of weeks ago. I heard maybe 4-5 loud bikes 2 blasting Harleys, 3 wailing crotch rockets. So what? A couple of seconds and they were gone. Hardly a thing to pass a law for.

Another grandstanding left-wing paternalist trying to pass laws that constrict freedoms. I was downtown a couple of weeks ago. I heard maybe 4-5 loud bikes 2 blasting Harleys, 3 wailing crotch rockets. So what? A couple of seconds and they were gone. Hardly a thing to pass a law for.
But think of the children trying to sleep with the windows open. For the love of God think of the children you monsters.

It wasnt near your house, so I guess its ok?
Your story most likely would change if it was some wanker doing laps on your street...
Agree, we dont need yet an other law and not to single out motorcycles alone. Lots of idiots in Charges/Mustangs/ Civics too.

Last edited:
But think of the children trying to sleep with the windows open. For the love of God think of the children you monsters.

for sure. If you ever have a child, remember this thread/discussion when you're trying to get them to sleep... and you've hardly had any yourself.

for sure. If you ever have a child, remember this thread/discussion when you're trying to get them to sleep... and you've hardly had any yourself.

Bikes aren't the only cause though. Are they going to just ban exhaust on everything or driving after 6pm u til 6 am for everyone? Rigs, cars, planes... All make as much or more noise. ...

Bikes aren't the only cause though. Are they going to just ban exhaust on everything or driving after 6pm u til 6 am for everyone? Rigs, cars, planes... All make as much or more noise. ...

Every time a new loud/bike/doosh/ban thread appears team Knuckledome sends a torch bearing emissary to put out the fire. Every time.

Last edited:

Ehh to be fair, I dont think those "5 loud bikes" you heard in one night are what theyre talking about. I live above a major intersection, and every once in a while (Like, maybe once or twice a month, not once a day) some idiot with straight pipes and what I can only assume are 700 megaphones attached to the tailpipe will drive by. Car, truck, or bike, doesnt matter, but its clear the guy is an idiot when you hear him coming for a full minute before he gets anywhere near my apartment. You can still can hear him 6 or 7 FULL INTERSECTIONS away (like 2km away) as he slows down and then accelerates for every light. Its not a couple of seconds, its like 4-5 minutes. You cant hear anything in my apartment other than this guys exhaust as he idles at the light, and when he takes off it sounds like a poorly maintained fighter jet is low flying over the neighborhood. Those guys should be getting tickets, because honestly its insane. If you want to do that **** at like noon on a wednesday, go for it, I will still think youre an idiot, but I can deal with it. But have some respect and dont drive your idiot mobile at 3am on a weekday through a residential zone.

Back
Top Bottom