CB750 for log distance touring? | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB750 for log distance touring?

Ramtin

LONG DISTANCE touring not LOG lol!

Hi,
My girlfriend is thinking to upgrade since she has an S40 and it just does not take the highway well....

anyways she's into the retro classics and she was thinking to buy a brand new Motto Guzzi V7 or a Bonnie or something like that.. BUT i thought that buying a Guzzi here in Canada is not gonna be fun specially buying parts!

So I came up with the idea of spending less than half of the money of a new V7 Stone and get a CB750....

my question is, do you think it is gonna be reliable to take an older classic bike like the CB750 for touring long distances?

If so, what models and years would you recommend.... or surprise me and come up with another option but think classic. NO CRUISERS, PLEASE! retro classics and that's it! :p

thanks guys!

LONG DISTANCE touring not LOG lol!

Hi,
My girlfriend is thinking to upgrade since she has an S40 and it just does not take the highway well....

anyways she's into the retro classics and she was thinking to buy a brand new Motto Guzzi V7 or a Bonnie or something like that.. BUT i thought that buying a Guzzi here in Canada is not gonna be fun specially buying parts!

So I came up with the idea of spending less than half of the money of a new V7 Stone and get a CB750....

my question is, do you think it is gonna be reliable to take an older classic bike like the CB750 for touring long distances?

If so, what models and years would you recommend.... or surprise me and come up with another option but think classic. NO CRUISERS, PLEASE! retro classics and that's it! :p

thanks guys!

41963b3d455f035368222d88455a1e4e.jpg

Why, yes. The 1975 CB750 worked for me! http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/trip-week-1/

Of course, the bike has to be well-sorted before the trip, and some mechanical knowledge and ability is very helpful. Getting your hands dirty enriches the trip experience, IMO.

Last edited:
I had one as my first bike. Didn't matter what I did to it, it never stopped running.

Personally I think that it is a bad idea. You wouldn't find me heading off to Vancouver with 40 year old brakes, shocks, forks, lack of fairing, luggage etc. It may seem like a romantic idea, but stuff gets real old 2000 km. from home and it's raining and 8 degrees. We all used to think Triumphs and BSAs were good reliable bikes, in comparison to any modern bike they are junk. To ride to the Hockley store on a sunny Sun. afternoon absolutely, nothing better, but to depend on, miles from home probably not a great plan. By the time you have restored, as an example, a "sohc" honda, motor, forks, brakes, filters, hoses, tires etc. you have spent a ton and you still have a 40 year old bike, a beautiful fun hobby but not a cross continent ride. But that's just my opinion. If you are absolutely married to this idea then the "dohc" motors are far superior.

Agreed^ While the CB750 is a good reliable bike, that's not a great plan. It's really about who you are imho. Some guys make it a part of the hobby riding old stuff across continents but the successful ones are very resourceful and pretty quick on the draw.

I had a 1980 CB750C. Was a nice bike but I would not say the seat was all that conformable. The valves have a tendency to burn off as well.

41963b3d455f035368222d88455a1e4e.jpg

Why, yes. The 1975 CB750 worked for me! http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/trip-week-1/

Of course, the bike has to be well-sorted before the trip, and some mechanical knowledge and ability is very helpful. Getting your hands dirty enriches the trip experience, IMO.
Read his blog. I can't believe he spent five weeks in the saddle on that bike!

Reliability? How long do you ride before you realize that your odometer states that you could have ridden to the East Coast and back without a maintenance issue?

A guy rode an enfield bullet into the Himalayas.

My friend on a Ducati Hyperstrada didn't make it past West Virginia.

Get CAA Plus and call it an adventure.

I'd say there are other machines that would be far more reliable ( tho I adore the CB750 ).

Quite a few Retro look bikes being offered these days.

The natural successor to the CB750 is this tho it's not Retro.

Honda VFR800F

Late last year, a heavily redone VFR800F was unveiled. Yea! But American Honda wouldn’t say if it is coming to the US. Boo! The new currently Europe-only VFR features a 782cc V-4 with “softened” VTEC valve gear and is tuned for more bottom and midrange power, (claimed 105 hp and 55 pound-feet). Traction control and ABS go along with a new HMAS fork, and the lovely single-sided swingarm remains. The claimed 526-pound curb weight is 22 pounds less than the old model’s, while bags, top trunk, and a quickshifter are optional. An adjustable-height seat and heated grips are standard. LED head- and taillights are used, and the 5.7-gallon fuel tank should result in excellent range—figure 200 miles to reserve. There are even self-canceling turn signals. All these changes add up to a bike that appears sportier and tourier at the same time. C’mon, Honda, don’t hold out on us.

2014-Honda-VFR800F-Interceptor-studio-4-590x393.jpg

Personally I'd take this anywhere..CB500x tricked out with luggage. Light agile - best new intermediate Honda in a long time.

CB500X_HB_Junior_luggage.JPG

There is a huge thread on it here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842

She's on a single thumper - moving to a twin will be a treat but the CB500 is super light and agile. I really enjoyed the demo ride.

"The CB500X is an excellent choice for riders ready to move up a displacement class, or for anyone who appreciates a great middleweight motorcycle for practical in-town riding, or fun adventure-sport touring."

How tall is she tho?
Seat height will be a factor.

I don't like the motor but the Honda CTX700 might be a nice fit as well for touring. Torquey short shifter.

CTX700_2014_07.jpg

my input FWIW

Here's the 1979 750 version
2ylsku8.jpg

Last edited:
I think I've said this before: pretty much anyone can do a transcontinental trip in a car, a modern BMW tourer, a new faired Harley bagger, or a Honda gold wing couch.

For me, the adventure was doing it on an old classic bike with no fairing. That was the challenge I set for myself. While it is possible, it's not for everyone. Maybe not a good idea for your gf, unless she's pretty special.

3a114cab08cea987739fe86109f44961.jpg

9,000miles/14,500km, 20 states, 30 days. (including 3 non-travel days)

Last edited:
Spend 2k on an 80's goldwing that's been babied with lots of highway miles and then sell it when you get back. BOOM.

Spend 2k on an 80's goldwing that's been babied with lots of highway miles and then sell it when you get back. BOOM.

My uncle is selling his GL1100 (IIRC). It's only seen minimal use for the past decade but has never given him a problem and it was taken across Canada back in the day.

For what it's worth I currently ride occasionally on a 1977 GS750. Very close to the same era Honda 750 and I have owned two CB 750's
Lots to be said for the old bikes but don't kid yourself that just because it's classic and was a good bike in its day that it compares to anything like today motorcycles. For example, my brakes have been serviced by several mechanics and I have been informed everything is OK, but guess what, they suck. Cornering ability, high speed stability, weight, etc does not compare with just about any motorcycle made after 2000. I used to let my son ride the old GS but then I made a decision to spend a few more dollars and give him something safe and reliable to ride. Lot's of good choices out there like the new Honda 500 series, the Bonnies, wee strom or even the new harley street 500/750 (not overly cruiser).

Short term girlfriend put her on a 35 to 40 year old bike, If you plan on keeping her for a while or if you actually like her, look for something made after 2000

I'd say there are other machines that would be far more reliable ( tho I adore the CB750 ).

Quite a few Retro look bikes being offered these days.

The natural successor to the CB750 is this tho it's not Retro.

Motus-MST-590x393.jpg

Personally I'd take this anywhere..CB500x tricked out with luggage. Light agile - best new intermediate Honda in a long time.

MTS-1200S-Granturismo_2013_Studio_TG_B01_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_1920x1080.png

Doc, are you losing it, mate? Say it ain't so!

You've got a photo of a Motus MST rather than a VFR, and a Multistrata instead of a CB500X. A little too much tea lately? :wink:

BTW, in the case of the Honda 500s, if the X is too tall for your girl, try the lower R or naked F version.

Too long in the sun I guess....I look like a raccoon after that Vermont run. :rolleyes:

The CB500R is lower but hardly classic look.

But yeah you are correct on the CB500F look - very nice - Will have to try that next demo day and 471 cc motor = cheap insurance.
Curb weight just 422 lb and 31" seat height .....that might be an issue.

Honda-CB500F_2626014b.jpg

still think the CTX700 fits the use and seat is 28"

2013-honda-ctx700-action-01.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa quite a number of classic haters. I believe it all comes down to maintenance and how you ride. My cb550 outlasted my friends 01 gs500 and 07 gs500. One had the rod snap and the other the clutch gave out. Stick to the maintenance schedule and you're golden.

I'd suggest modern classic from Triumph, the Bonney like your mentioned or the Scrambler which have a bit more versatility for the off beaten track. Or you can wait for the unveiling of the new Ducati Scrambler ;)

Thank you all

Back
Top Bottom