Shed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shed

RockerGuy

Banned
Site Supporter
I need a garden shed. Preferably around 10' x 8'. Any input?

Google Shed of Doom. Do the opposite.

I built a 3x8 last year, it's probably cheaper to buy them than build them yourself (if you can find something that meets your needs).

I would avoid plastic sheds if possible, the neighbour had a branch drop throughout the roof of his royal plastic shed and they no longer make panels for the model so he is SOL.

Can you still buy sheet metal sheds? My parents has been up for 20 years and it's looking a little weathered, but has no major problems.

Bought from Northsheds (http://www.northsheds.ca) a few years ago. A bit spends but they build the pieces at their shop and install on site. We had some custom stuff done that increased the price a bit but it actually is a focal point in our side yard so wanted something that looked good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 73
If you build a basic wooden shed with plywood siding, shingled roof, ply floor, man door and window your looking at $1500. in materials so keep that in mind.
How decorative does it need to be? is it a garden feature or just storage? What do you want to put in there? It takes me a full weekend to build a basic shed, whats your time worth.
I despise Home depot plastic sheds, but if your a lousy carpenter, consider prefab.

Your timing sucks , OSB and plywood are at a record high on the market right now.

Bought one from http://www.windmilllandscapes.com/index.html about 10 yrs ago.Very good quality,easy to assemble (knock down kit).
Doesn't have pricing
I built a 3x8 last year, it's probably cheaper to buy them than build them yourself (if you can find something that meets your needs).

I would avoid plastic sheds if possible, the neighbour had a branch drop throughout the roof of his royal plastic shed and they no longer make panels for the model so he is SOL.

Can you still buy sheet metal sheds? My parents has been up for 20 years and it's looking a little weathered, but has no major problems.
How much did it cost you in materials?

I still see the metal sheds. Not very aesthetic, cheap though

I hate prefab sheds. But then again I'm a very handy person and I like to customize everything. I built a 6x17 shed for ~1700 bucks. Sono tubes, 3/4 osb floor (painted), wood paneling exterior, 2 windows, multitude of shelves etc. Half pool house half shed. I would definetly say building yourself does not save money, but u get a better end product and more options for the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't have pricing

Something like $800. There were some factors that drove the cost up a bit (rough cut pine outside, installed on an 18" slope, 3 doors). I doubt I could get away with much less than $500 in materials. Even the little things (shingles, drip edge, paint, hinges, etc) add up to a few hundred without the wood.

I am planning a 5x5 that will run me ~$1500-2000 in material (proper entry door, porch, vinyl siding, lighting, etc.) The price doesn't scale linearly, I could build an 8x8 for not much more money, but bylaw where it's going only allows 5x5 (unless I use 150' setback which puts it where I don't want it).

Bought from Northsheds (http://www.northsheds.ca) a few years ago. A bit spends but they build the pieces at their shop and install on site. We had some custom stuff done that increased the price a bit but it actually is a focal point in our side yard so wanted something that looked good.
Beyond my budget, but thanks.

If you build a basic wooden shed with plywood siding, shingled roof, ply floor, man door and window your looking at $1500. in materials so keep that in mind.
How decorative does it need to be? is it a garden feature or just storage? What do you want to put in there? It takes me a full weekend to build a basic shed, whats your time worth.
I despise Home depot plastic sheds, but if your a lousy carpenter, consider prefab.

Your timing sucks , OSB and plywood are at a record high on the market right now.
I just need one for storage, doesn't have to be extra pretty. Just not an eyesore.

I might end up doing prefab.
Can a single person assemble a prefab? I ask the guy at Lowe's & he told me 2 persons

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Better off with 2 people. With that being said, if you build your own, it'll be sturdier and look better than metal crap. The biggest hassle with a shed is the foundation anyway, so if you get that right, everything else is stupid easy. You still need at least 2 people. While I did the bulk of the work on a metal prefab on my own, some parts of the job definitely required 2 people.

2 people always easier. Also, I find nothing wrong with the plastic sheds. I've had a Rubbermaid one for the last 7 years with zero issues. Cost was under a grand and I can store all the garden tools, mower, tiller, weedwhacker, grass seed spreader and a whole pile of other crap in there just fine.

I have an 8' x 10' metal shed, which still looks good after 20+ years. They are the least expensive and are relatively easy to assemble. Sturdy enough to stand the snow load on the roof up here. If all you want it for is to store yard tools, you can't go wrong with one of these.

I'm not a fan of metal sheds because of the condensation. Wood sheds are just more "comfortable".
Rockerguy, quickest solution is T11 panel, its a plywood product with a rough sawn appearance, grooved 8" OC so you have nailing lines for 16" studs. HD has a prepainted OSB option, its ok if your only keeping the shed 10yrs. Do not build on 24" centers like the crappy prefabs, for the sake of 6 2x4's everything just fits better.
If its a flat area, you can use sleepers as a foundation, don't just build on the ground, you need ventilation for a long term shed or it will rot.
if you go to habitat for humanity store you can get a window and door for cheap.
Rafter framing will be your most complicated part, but that's about a 2 out of 10 for hard on a shed.

Doesn't have pricing

I think it was about $2500.Call them,i'm sure they deliver to Dreamland also.

We got a Duroshed years ago and it was great. Bit spendy but we went for the largest they had, with bay doors, a man door, and two windows. We had it installed by Duroshed and they did a good job. All we had to do was wire it and caulk all the joints and seams (that was our choice, probably would have been fine without).

Back
Top Bottom