Headphones while on track? (stop freaking out..I'm serious) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headphones while on track? (stop freaking out..I'm serious)

zx6rr

I've seen it being done before (at TMP).. I ride on the street while listening to my tunes (Miley Cyrus, BSB, Celine Dion etc.) How many of you would get your panties in a bunch if you saw headphone wires sticking out of my helmet at the track?

If i notice your head phones on track means I am not going fast enough. I wouldn't care unless you wire is hanging out and flapping in the wind. As long as you keep your cord tidy inside your suit its all good to me at least.

My question is why would you want to be listening to anything or concentrate on anything besides whats going on on the track? its not a sunday joy ride (ok kinda is but you know what I mean)

Wouldn't bother me. I don't know any fast guys that wear headphones on the track.

I've seen it being done before (at TMP).. I ride on the street while listening to my tunes (Miley Cyrus, BSB, Celine Dion etc.)...
Anybody else find this the most disturbing part of the whole thing?:D

Wouldn't bother me. I don't know any fast guys that wear headphones on the track.

I don't pretend to be fast.. I'm just out there having a good time. No lap-timers, no motogp t-shirts on. Dragging knees turned out to be the best feeling in the world, so I like to chase it (the only thing that pushes the feeling over the edge is listening to some ABBA while getting low). I start braking before the first white line into turn 1 at TMP. I suck.

I don't pretend to be fast.. I'm just out there having a good time. No lap-timers, no motogp t-shirts on. Dragging knees turned out to be the best feeling in the world, so I like to chase it (the only thing that pushes the feeling over the edge is listening to some ABBA while getting low). I start braking before the first white line into turn 1 at TMP. I suck.
You might do better if you turned off the music, just saying ;)

I hear you op...
I mounted a dvd player on my tank and i watch music videos while going around the track. Nothing gets me pumped like britney spears for the next corner. Plus what else are you.gonna do on those boring straight aways..

yeah..you wouldn't want to hear other faster bikes coming up behind you or anything.
The hand signals during "YMCA" might throw some people off.

To each their own, but I remember we used to rag on someone we used to street ride with that used to wear headphones during our rides. One day he worked on his bike and as he was leaving something was wrong and there was a bad grinding noise as he was leaving, everyone could hear it and started yelling at the top of our lungs "STOP STOP STOP"...He just carried on and rode away, then came back 5 min later all shook up saying something is wrong with the bike he almost dumped it..........Headphones.....ummmmm for me no but suit yourself, I prefer to hear everything, and I probably have the loudest exhaust out there...Still rather hear everything, especially at the track were I am not looking at the gauges at all and rely on the sounds the bike makes. And also hear other bikes coming up on me close

My bikes engine is making the best music already so thats good enough for me

Well - I have rarely ever ridden WITHOUT headphones.. I can still hear traffic.. and the bike WAY above the volume of the music. At the end of the day it's still quieter than the wind noise.

Smells like a troll thread.

However my advice is to be respectful. I try very hard when I am out on track, takes up most of my concentration. If you can ride, listen to music and not cause any issues then have at it. The disrespect would be from shutting down the track due to something entirely preventable. I can't even wear ear plugs as they "seem" to throw off my balance on the track. It's prob just psychological but if I am distracted by them it means I am not giving it my all.

JohnnyP636 gave a great example of why it's a bad idea.

However, seeing as I have ridden with both deaf riders and ear plug people I have to say to each their own.

Last edited:
Smells like a troll thread.

However my advice is to be respectful. I try very hard when I am out on track, takes up most of my concentration. If you can ride, listen to music and not cause any issues then have at it. The disrespect would be from shutting down the track due to something entirely preventable. I can't even wear ear plugs as they "seem" to throw off my balance on the track. It's prob just psychological but if I am distracted by them it means I am not giving it my all.

JohnnyP636 gave a great example of why it's a bad idea.

However, seeing as I have ridden with both deaf riders and ear plug people I have to say to each their own.

Thats why I said to each their own, if you can do it safely then go for it....Personally like you it distracts me too much, Id have to get used to even being able to have something in my ear/helmet. Even if there was nothing playing just having them in my ear would bother me right now and through off my game...

And about deaf people one thing is they in most cases have lived most or all of their life without hearing, so its different then somone that hasn't...I just lost most of my vision in one eye and my sense of smell 2 years ago, sounds simple but I have had to learn to do things differently...The one eye thing took some time to get confident on a bike again, Id say after 2 years now Im almost to where I was with both eyes while riding a bike. Give me some time with no ears and get used to it if I had too, just dont see a reason to need music and get used to it...

For the street I can see more of a need/want for it, but on track I dont really see the need....Ive never seen a race car/bike with a sound system

Last edited:
I must be from another generation or something. I can't *imagine* trying to do something that takes as much concentration as track riding with music playing in my ears. Then again I think I was a teenager before they even invented the Sony Walkman, so maybe I am just not used to spending my whole life with music in the background. Personally, I would much prefer that everyone just pay as much attention as possible, but like I said it is possible that I just don't get it. To me it seems like a really really stupid idea.

Back
Top Bottom