wow glad I had Nexus | GTAMotorcycle.com

wow glad I had Nexus

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Have never seen Lewiston as bad as tonight ....

I swear there are still cars in that line up and I'm home in Sauga.

It stretched way down the highway.

5 minutes to get to the empty truck lane right at Tims...Nexus...waived me through - 10 min total I was across.

still showing 44 min - 1.15 at rainbow an 41 at buffalo.

worth the time to get the card

this is current supposedly .....

44 minutes my ***...maybe from when you get to the bridge.

This Rainbow from the real time camera - of course Queenston is FUBAR.

CCTV_561.jpg

and Peace bridge real time

jpeg
w

who knows how far back it goes.

WHat the hell was everyone doing down there.

Last edited:
How does Nexus work in regards to declaring purchases? Do they just trust that you will report whatever you bought, are there random searches?

Last edited:
They ask you tell ....it's no forgiveness thing.....screw up once and you never get the card back.

Agent asks and AFAIK it is subject to the same random checks any vehicle is.

Went through one going into the states....lucky it wasn't buddy....we'd still be there.

I pack light :D

I've considered getting my Nexus card, but I've never had much of an issue crossing when I cross at the Rainbow Bridge. The longest I waited at Rainbow was one time I think I crossed on a Saturday morning of a long weekend -- so I don't do that anymore.

I was stuck in traffic at the Lewiston Bridge once when I didn't bother correcting my GPS when it routed me there. Now I just stick to the Rainbow and avoid all truck traffic.

1/2 the times I cross in a year I bring my wife, so unless I get a Nexus for her too I think it is not worth it for me.

You'd be waiting tonight for sure. Rainbow was the worst.
It's also good at the airport for me...breeze through.

But yeah two up = both have to have the card.

50 bucks for 5 years of painfree crossing, definitely worth it if you do a lot of touring. Last time I came through Fort Erie it was raining hard and lined up 30 cars deep on each lane, I got through in about 5 mins max. Cbsa agent waved me through before I got a chance to take my helmet off

The agents sure are friendly with Nexus card holders....even travelling with GF who usually gets hassled crossing borders cuz she's Aussie....with me with the Nexus we just breezed through....halo effect I guess.
SHe was really surprised.

So if I apply for a Nexus... does it matter that my passport expires next spring or should I wait?
How long does it take to get if I want to do the interview and everything in Mississauga (if possible)?

So if I apply for a Nexus... does it matter that my passport expires next spring or should I wait?
How long does it take to get if I want to do the interview and everything in Mississauga (if possible)?

Interview has to be at a point of crossing, so unless you're flying out of Pearson it's probably going to be Niagara Falls, NY. Can't remember exactly, but the process was either three to four months start to finish.

Definitely worth it, don't know how I travelled without it. Crossed at Fort Erie tonight in about 15 minutes. That was just the time I was stuck on the bridge, once I got past the bridge I rode straight up to the Nexus booth, only one person in front of me.

My wife and I came back from a few days in the USA today. We came back though Gananoque. Never a big lineup there anyway but we both have Nexus. They have a Nexus lane there but it was closed. When we got to the booth the agent said the Nexus booth is never manned.

By by the way, if you are travelling though customs on two separate motorcycles (like my wife and I) the Nexus guys don't like you going in together; on the other hand the regal guys seem to encourage it.

..Tom

That's the nice thing with Lewiston - separate lane all the way across starting at Tim's ( trucks and Nexus ) coming back into Canada. Cute girl doing traffic ;)

Nexus was closed when I went across into the US on Friday at Gananoque - got wet as a result :(

Friendly agent tho.

To sign up for Nexus - here ya go

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Two weeks ago the lineup to Bluewater Bridge @Sarnia was backed up 2 blocks down the 402. From previous experience, that would be 1 hour plus.
Nexus in hand - 7 minutes. If that's not worth the price of 83¢ a month, I don't know what is!

Two weeks ago the lineup to Bluewater Bridge @Sarnia was backed up 2 blocks down the 402. From previous experience, that would be 1 hour plus.
Nexus in hand - 7 minutes. If that's not worth the price of 83¢ a month, I don't know what is!

Yep, you guys convinced me. I applied last night so hopefully I should be able to have everything sorted out by the spring ready for next season.

Mac, don't you ever take the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge that is Nexus only?

I have been contemplating doing this for a while, just not gotten around to getting the process started. My question is for renewal after the 5 years, do you have to go through the whole process again? Or is it much simpler with paying a renewal fee?

Good question

It is recommended that you reapply to the NEXUS program approximately three months before your membership expires. Your membership in NEXUS is valid for five years. Please note that a streamlined renewal process is now in place. It is no longer necessary for the majority of renewing members who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status to attend an interview. NEXUS members are encouraged to renew their membership online through the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). Alternatively, members may also reapply by submitting a paper application form.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/new-nouvel-eng.html

I'd do Fort Erie - they have the most appointments open....figure on spending 1/2 a day for this.

A couple of things.

First- You still have to wait in line until it opens up to the area of the guardhouses. So isn't the only thing faster just going through the guard?

Second- I've never seen the nexus house open on the weekend. So I would think that would make it useless for most people that are just crossing on a weekend.

out of curiosity, if you have Nexus, why are so many riders still using the 3 big bridges (Peace, Queenston, Rainbow) and not just using the Whirlpool bridge where it is Nexus only?

Don't know what border you are at but Lewiston the truck lane coming into Canada starts at the Timmies on the American side and it's straight through to the NExus booth which is always open.

Peace Bridge to the US yes you have to wait to get to the PLaza but then it's always open and coming into Canada depends on the lane configuration but again trucks get a priority lane and so do the Nexus holders. All Nexus crossings have special lanes on the Plazas AFAIK

Last night it was well over an hour it saved me and likely more given how backed up it was. I drove past hundreds of cars and was through the border in 5 minutes

At the Airport you just go to the Nexus podium - look into it - get the slip and go to baggage - no one talks to you at all.

••••

Whirlpool?? - likely habit, also there are toll issues and it's a bit out of the way.

Last edited:
out of curiosity, if you have Nexus, why are so many riders still using the 3 big bridges (Peace, Queenston, Rainbow) and not just using the Whirlpool bridge where it is Nexus only?

Shhhhh.. Don't give away the secrets ;-)

Actually I used my nexus card here for the first time. No waiting. Was done in 3mins. Came back over the peace bridge and avoided a 30min lineup. Gotta love the card. I think the roll is from the US side and back. You need to preload the card with a roll amount..

We got ours to help travelling in airports especially when you have young kids. Trust me . Even if we used it once its worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was shocked at the airport speed.
Now if only the luggage got in as fast.

I think the roll is from the US side and back. You need to preload the card with a roll amount..
You can load the Nexus card for the tolls?? Not just for the Whirlpool?

••••

Unless ALL the riders in the group or people in a vehicle each have a Nexus then the special lane cannot be used nor can the WHirlpool.

It's really ideal for the solo rider or a pair who both have it. It is so stress reducing and even when not in the lane the border officers are super friendly which is a bonus on its own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom