Check your armour | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Check your armour

I have to credit the armour in my pants for saving my knee. The textile pants were shredded the armour 1/2 worn through. No rash but it won't stop breaks and bruises

To me that just shows that textile is useless. If the part that isn't designed for abrasion resistance saved you while the part that is supposed to provide abrasion resistance failed miserably, there is something wrong.

I hear you, I plan on upgrading to leather.

Leather is no guarantee of safety.

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

Recent independent tests by Motorcycle News (MCN, 2003), in the UK found only 4 out of 18 leather suits from the major European manufacturers, passed all the tests against the European Standard. Twelve of these suits failed the burst test due to either thread and/or leather failure and impact protectors failed in eight suits.

Price is no indicator of protection. The leather suits in the MCN tests ranged from AU$600 to AU$3,000. Some expensive made-to-measure suits failed, while other suits that cost a quarter of the price, passed. (MCN, May 2003).
A similar review of textile jackets by Ride magazine in the UK also showed that price and protection are not linked. They tested 51 jackets costing between AU$160 to AU$1,050. The results found 46 of the 51 jackets above average for impact resistance, while only 36 scored above average for abrasion resistance. As with the leather suits, the worst result was for burst resistance, with just 10 of the 51 suits judged to have adequate seam strength, including the most expensive suit in the test group. (Ride, January 2003).

I've been preaching this for years, the more stitching (joints) you have, the weaker you make it. I see gloves made of 50 pcs of leather. Leather is abrasion resistant, the stitching not so much.

Leather is no guarantee of safety.

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

Recent independent tests by Motorcycle News (MCN, 2003), in the UK found only 4 out of 18 leather suits from the major European manufacturers, passed all the tests against the European Standard. Twelve of these suits failed the burst test due to either thread and/or leather failure and impact protectors failed in eight suits.

Price is no indicator of protection. The leather suits in the MCN tests ranged from AU$600 to AU$3,000. Some expensive made-to-measure suits failed, while other suits that cost a quarter of the price, passed. (MCN, May 2003).
A similar review of textile jackets by Ride magazine in the UK also showed that price and protection are not linked. They tested 51 jackets costing between AU$160 to AU$1,050. The results found 46 of the 51 jackets above average for impact resistance, while only 36 scored above average for abrasion resistance. As with the leather suits, the worst result was for burst resistance, with just 10 of the 51 suits judged to have adequate seam strength, including the most expensive suit in the test group. (Ride, January 2003).

My leather jacket held up better than the textile pants

I went down in my cheap LeatherLinks suit I got in the group buy from this forum and you couldn't even tell on the suit.

WHAT?????!!!! armour has a life span too???

I thought only helmets did!

I stick to Dainese and Knox gear. The wave by Dainese is awesome. Dainese jacket + pants, Knox gloves and A* boots. Haven't had any crashes in the gear, but it's by far the best gear I've had. Went down in a Joe Rocket Repsol racing leathers and that suit held up very well. Was happy with it, even though it was relatively slow (75km). My A* gloves fell apart real quickly though, hence the upgrade to the Knox Biometric gloves. They are the best glove I've owned.

Yep, all Joe Rocket jackets have this issue using those type of pads, happened to my Jacket this year, and i barely rode last year.

I've had this jacket for a couple years & didn't know my armour was going to hell.

A heads up for those who care.

cd55a37f41680036726207f5081ad16b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom