What's with these Suzuki Bandits? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's with these Suzuki Bandits?

Merkid

I've been looking into getting a more back-to-basics used air/oil cooled bike and the Bandit 1200 from the late '90's to early 2000's caught my eye.

Lots of used ones for sale and priced cheap.

But some have well over 100K on them and yet the sellers indicate that there are no mechanical issues with them. One guy wrote back that with 107K on his '99 that he had no major tune up work done to it...huh.

Were they designed and built that well and anything to watch out for?

I've been looking into getting a more back-to-basics used air/oil cooled bike and the Bandit 1200 from the late '90's to early 2000's caught my eye.

Lots of used ones for sale and priced cheap.

But some have well over 100K on them and yet the sellers indicate that there are no mechanical issues with them. One guy wrote back that with 107K on his '99 that he had no major tune up work done to it...huh.

Were they designed and built that well and anything to watch out for?

I've had a couple ('01 & '05).
I rode my '01 to 91,000kms. Upon selling it, the buyer wanted a comp / leakdown test before paying me.
Took it to the shop, numbers were factory spec.
Last I heard, the bike had >140,000kms on it.
Bandits are dead nuts simple to maintain, comfortable to ride, ample power on hand, and relatively good on gas.
Find a clean one with a quiet engine, and you'll have no regrets.

Cam chain tensioner is the only real threat I know of.

I believe there is a hydraulic valve adjuster on those (however you call it). No need for valve adjustment.

Booya on this forum is selling his I believe

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I believe there is a hydraulic valve adjuster on those (however you call it). No need for valve adjustment.

Booya on this forum is selling his I believe

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Mine is an 07 with 60k on it. It's been pretty much been problem free even though I beat the snot out of it. I don't think the older models came with hydraulic lifters as mine does need valve adjustments. Just as Gary said great engine and bike ....There is no REPLACEMENT for DISPLACEMENT and it has lots of grunt and works well for me anyway to humble most supersports in the corners LOL. If you want have a browse of this forum http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94 lots of info and many stories of guys running high mileage.

I have an 06 1200s and an 08 1250sa. The 06 is about to go on kijiji as I am not using it as much as i thought I would (dirt cheap too!)
I have a few friends interested but if they don't move on it.....PM if interested.
The cam chain tensioners are a concern, I've had the one on the 1200 replaced with an APE manual as the automatic had run out. Also the gaskets tend to leak. Z1 replaced mine as a favour.
They are fantastic bikes with an absolutely bullet proof, smooth motor with tons of torque. Parts and accessories are very easy to find.
I loved the back to basics of the 1200 but everything I was left wanting for a bike I do a lot of trips on the 1250 had.
c87775a9-307c-4ff4-8914-a7b645ee8242.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom