Street bike on the track? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Street bike on the track?

koma

Hi, I'm on my second season of riding a Ninja 250 (about 14000 kms so far). I'm interested in trying out some track riding but I was wondering if there is any issue using my daily driver on the track. It seems like most of the people here have dedicated track bikes.

Specifically I'm wondering if it's an issue with insurance or something of the sort. I don't want to void my insurance because I "raced" it or something stupid like that. I know you have to remove/adjust some components for track sessions, but I assume that's not an issue. I would rent a motorcycle trailer, which is surprisingly cheap.

Anything I'm overlooking? Thanks.

You won't void your insurance, but you won't be covered while you're on the track.

It can be done fairly simply. For open lapping trackdays at Cayuga TMP I believe it's just water in the rad, head and tail lights taped up, and kickstand secured. Am I missing something, all you more experienced guys?

For drag, at least at Cayuga TMP, the tech gave my tire a light kick and wrote a number on my windscreen. Good 2 go!

Trailering your bike down is definitely the smarter way in case of a (god forbid) event where the bike is unrideable (mechanical breakdown, crash) you're not stuck at the track/need a tow. Despite this, I don't currently have a car to pull a trailer with and Ive ridden my bike to the track and had decent success.

Last edited:
It's pretty much an urban myth. I've been going to the track for about 10 yrs now and never seen it, nor has anyone I've ever tracked with. However everybody has heard this story.

I take mine all the time until I buy my track bike. As for plates I have never herd of an agent showing up? But regardless I trailer mine so I can prep the bike the night before. And plate is removed. Takes me about 15 minutes to get it taped up mirrors taken off (personal prefrance) tie rap stand. Etc. (Rules are on the site) Lotz of fun

What do you need for riding gear? Are armoured textile pants, jacket, work boots good enough for lapping sessions? Is it addictive?

No organization I know of allows textile gear and work boots may or may not be allowed.

It's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

OK, so this may require a little effort on my part. Shame really, sounds like fun.

Your insurance may cancel your policy if you tell them you're tracking your bike... So don't tell them. You are SOL if you wreck your bike but that's the risk you take to have the most fun you can ever really have on your machine.

everybody should take their street bike to the track a few times. get to know it better in a proper environment, and test your own limits in a safe environment.

I don't buy the BS about the state farm agent at the track, but for the ultra paranoid, you are spending time swapping coolant, taping up lights and mirrors, the extra 30 seconds to remove the rear plate isn't a big deal.

What do you need for riding gear? Are armoured textile pants, jacket, work boots good enough for lapping sessions? Is it addictive?
if you do a pro 6 day. They will provide leathers, gloves, boots, and backprotector for free your first time. There is a rental fee after that for gear but its cheap. And they have bike rentals as well.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty stoked on giving it a shot.

The insurance thing is a little unnerving but I don't see what choice I really have.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty stoked on giving it a shot.

The insurance thing is a little unnerving but I don't see what choice I really have.

They're may be a clause for a "timed event" which a track day isn't. Just don't crash and you've got nothing to worry about.

Depending on how much you like it, your first crash my turn into "**** it, now it's a track bike" I think that's the route a few of us took. Lol

Depending on how much you like it, your first crash my turn into "**** it, now it's a track bike" I think that's the route a few of us took. Lol

Yeah I was talking with Tony at blue streak today and he kind of said something similar. :D

Last edited:
I'm actually curious too. I've never had the time to do it.

How did you guys load a bike on a ramp? Let's say I rent a van or a truck? Do I need 4 guys?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

You can load it by yourself. I always have. Larger pickups are a pain in the ass however. Your insurance does not cover you on the track. You bin it you are fixing it on your own dime.

It is very very addicting.

I'm actually curious too. I've never had the time to do it.

How did you guys load a bike on a ramp? Let's say I rent a van or a truck? Do I need 4 guys?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Two people is ideal. Push the bike as far up the ramp as you can and grab the front brake, the second person in the bed of the truck grabs the bars and brake from you, walk around to the back of the bike and push the rear wheel up while the person in the bed pushes and controls the bars. Very easy as long as the second person is 1/2 way capable of tying their shoes.

This is how I got my bikes into my 3/4 ton. Damn I love my trailer.

Back
Top Bottom