V-rod, M109r, what other power cruisers are out there? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V-rod, M109r, what other power cruisers are out there?

Cool story Bro! Did you read this in Grimm's Fairy Tales or Alice in Wonderland?
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the original design was in house H-D and Roush Racing finished the design, mostly the top end. The bike was built for American superbike racing as the VR1000 and was campaigned for quite a few years achieving moderate success but was always a bit down on power finally being retired in 2001.

The VR was just not competitive enough .Harley just couldn`t make it work . Porche was brought in to make a oversee a street motor .The story goes they didn`t just help .They build it .

Cool story Bro! Did you read this in Grimm's Fairy Tales or Alice in Wonderland?
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the original design was in house H-D and Roush Racing finished the design, mostly the top end. The bike was built for American superbike racing as the VR1000 and was campaigned for quite a few years achieving moderate success but was always a bit down on power finally being retired in 2001.

Wow... another HD fanboy who has absolutely no thought about researching information before spouting off at the lips.
You're totally wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buell_Motorcycle_Company

Read the history section.
Please, for the love of God, do some research before jamming your foot down your yap.
Can post up a whack of other information confirming it was originally a Buell/Porsche motor until HD decided they wanted a liquid cooled muscle cruiser...

Wow... another HD fanboy who has absolutely no thought about researching information before spouting off at the lips.
You're totally wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buell_Motorcycle_Company

Read the history section.
Please, for the love of God, do some research before jamming your foot down your yap.
Can post up a whack of other information confirming it was originally a Buell/Porsche motor until HD decided they wanted a liquid cooled muscle cruiser...
Instead of believing in Wiki try this:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

I think you may be confusing the Rotax engined Buell superbike with the original VR1000

Generally not a crusier guy. But I like the idea of the Triumph Thunderbird Storm.
Never rode one. But it looks the part and got pretty good reviews from the press.
I don't know if it is considered a power crusier though.
Vrod night special screaming eagle 4th of July patriot edition support the troops what'ca'ma call it (the one with the least chrome) looks good also. Again never rode one.
Absolutley love the idea on the latest generation Vmax, crazy $$$ though.
Diavel is in the mix if you can get over the looks.

Instead of believing in Wiki try this:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

I think you may be confusing the Rotax engined Buell superbike with the original VR1000

Nope. the VR1000 was completely HD.
The V-Rod motor was destined for a Buell sport bike - specifically so that they could compete with the Japanese sport bikes.
HD decided a liquid cooled motor would be cool in a cruiser, but they hated the "look" of the motor. To give it the "look" they wanted, they had to add on 70 pounds of dead weight metal. This made it useless for a race capable sport bike.

Nope. the VR1000 was completely HD.
The V-Rod motor was destined for a Buell sport bike - specifically so that they could compete with the Japanese sport bikes.
HD decided a liquid cooled motor would be cool in a cruiser, but they hated the "look" of the motor. To give it the "look" they wanted, they had to add on 70 pounds of dead weight metal. This made it useless for a race capable sport bike.

If there is one thing that is wrong with your story .Is that HD thought liquid cooled would be cool.Their bread and butter is the air cooled motor .The only reason they are going to liquid cooling is emissions .The vrod was designed to break the mold and bring in the faithfull to liquid cooling .It was a bit of a disappointment .The bike sells very well all places except north America . Just look at their new touring bike .They are doing everything they can to hide the fact it`s liquid cooled .Well partially anyways .

"Revolution" was designed with Porsche, and originally designed for racing in the VR1000 program. V-Rod was designed for higher efficiency and reliability for road models to compete against threats from metric cruisers.

Harley thought they could win Daytona with a modern engine and paid big bucks for Scott Russell, who got fed up after two years and declared the bike a POS. This got him beat up in a bar in Florida by Harley fans. It was always too heavy.

If there is one thing that is wrong with your story .Is that HD thought liquid cooled would be cool.Their bread and butter is the air cooled motor .The only reason they are going to liquid cooling is emissions .The vrod was designed to break the mold and bring in the faithfull to liquid cooling .It was a bit of a disappointment .The bike sells very well all places except north America . Just look at their new touring bike .They are doing everything they can to hide the fact it`s liquid cooled .Well partially anyways .

Liquid cooled engines have no different emissions than air cooled. They last longer and can be made to produce more power reliably.

Liquid cooled engines have no different emissions than air cooled. They last longer and can be made to produce more power reliably.

The moral of the story is .That it`s much easier to pass modern and strict emission tests with liquid cooling than air .

The air heads are close to the end of their life .

The Rocket III is the best of the pick.
Build quality is far better.
My friend pulls power wheelies from any RPM in first or second gear.
No effort needed. Just twist throttle.

My Rocket III ticks all the boxes for me. It makes a good tourer too, effortlessly pulling two up loaded with gear.

I have an itch for big, brutish power. Seriously looking at a Night Rod, but found a Suzuki M109r for half the price. Don't like the Rocket III though. Are there any other manufacturers that make a similar genre bike?

Another overlooked power cruiser (ya, I know it's wierd looking, but it is a cruiser style bike) is the new Honda CTX1300. V4 engine, I took one for a demo ride and it may be my next bike.

Checks all the power cruiser boxes, with a smoooooth powertrain, ABS and Traction Control.

New Goldwing Valkyrie would also fit the bill. A naked 'wing has got to be fast.

Diavel is like the Lamborghini of Power Cruisers. It defines it's own category. But then again, I'd be biased ... because I have 2!:cheers:

Diavel is like the Lamborghini of Power Cruisers. It defines it's own category. But then again, I'd be biased ... because I have 2!:cheers:

That it is .

The moral of the story is .That it`s much easier to pass modern and strict emission tests with liquid cooling than air .

The air heads are close to the end of their life .

That really makes no sense, especially since in North America, we have no "strict" emissions tests. In Europe, the R9T has Euro3 approval with air cooling.

Water cooled engines simply control heat better to allow for more power output, EFI and Catalytic converters deal with emissions.

V-Max because

FateZeroII0812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom