M1 exit test riding course | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 exit test riding course

kbbroiler

Hey guys. Could someone explain to me if you do a road test for the M1 exit test at the rider training school. I read somewhere if you do your test at the ministry you do a road test. If you do it at a school, they give you a certificate that you take to the ministry and you don't do the road test. One of the instructors said we'd be all weekend in the parking lot. I also have a friend who did the course years ago and he said he didn't go on the road. I just want to have an idea what's going on this weekend.

Thanks,

K.B

The m1 exit is done in a private parking lot .... You get 2 days of practice and at the end they test you on what you have learned... If you pass you get your M2

They give you a certificate that you have to take to the ministry and no further road tests are required

Speeds don't exceed 30km/h and you do not leave the parking lot

Having said that.... If you are new to riding... The course is excellent in teaching you basics and growing your confidence

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I gotta hit the side streets when I'm done the course on Sunday and build my way up.

Hey K.B. - just to clarify the information being given here ...
The "certificate" given at the completion of a course is NOT for the ministry - it's for insurance purposes. The certificate states that you were successful in completing a Ministry approved SAFETY course. The benefit is to reduce your insurance rate because of the safety course.
What you take into the ministry is your upgrading paperwork you get when you pass the test at the course. (Remember also we have graduated licensing in Ontario - so you need to be at each licensing level for the designated period of time. For the M1, its 60 days before you can upgrade. You can take the course at a school any time after writing your M1 - but you would have to observe the 60 day wait period before you brought in your upgrading paperwork to the MTO).
Motorcycle school courses for the M2 licence are ALL done within a parking lot. (The M course is done on the road). Yes if you go to the Ministry for the M1Exit test, your test has some parking lot testing involved,.. along with a short road test.

I do highly recommend and encourage that you take a motorcycle safety course. There is so much involved in learning the skill. Remember, its your foundation. You want it to be strong!

www.motorsoul.ca

I just (Aug 15..17) completed the course offered by a local college (Conestoga in Kitchener.) This was pretty intensive: Fri 7-10pm, Sat and Sun 8:30am to 6:30pm. The M1-exit test occurred during the last hour or so of the Sunday. The entire class basically lined up and performed a series of tests as the instructors -- now wearing the mantle of "ministry official" -- observed, timed and judged.

At the beginning of the course we'd filled out ministry forms that would be involved in upgrading from the M1 to the M2. These were submitted to the instructors along with envelopes. At the end of the course, after the exit test, those who passed filed back into the classroom. We were handed back the envelopes -- now sealed -- with some additional information including the course and instructor info. We also received fancy certificates and a copy of our test results (with any demerit points etc) as part of the "package."

The instructions were that when the 60-day minimum period of the M1 had elapsed, we could walk into a Drive Test office and present the sealed envelope to the clerk. If all went to plan, you'd be granted M2 status and be out of there. If they gave you any guff, you'd present the rest of the package -- the certificate and the copy of the exit test results) as further proof you're the real deal.

I too highly recommend the course. The low-speed maneuvering (balance and direct steering), emphasis on braking, control, higher-speed steering (counter steering) plus the personal anecdotes and experiences of the instructors who've been riding for decades etc are all worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom