Air hawk seat ,good or bad? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air hawk seat ,good or bad?

darryle

I am going to ride down to suches Georgia the first week of September.i can ride 800 km a day on a stock seat,any imput on the air hawk greatly appreciated

I have a friend who swears by the airhawk

He rides a FZ1 and has done long trips to places like Chicago

I know a Moto journalist that can't modify seats, so always throws on his airhawk (cruiser medium) and tells me I should get one.

Good.

I've used it many times to alleviate the pressure points that develop if you have a bony butt like mine. The trick is not to over-inflate it. The correct inflation is such that your butt is *just* off the seat, otherwise it feels like you're sitting on a balloon. It does add extra seat height, so something to think about if your bike is tall. Also, if you like moving around on the seat when you're riding the twisties, then you might want to remove it from the bike for better feel, and then re-install for the superslab, it's fairly easy to do with the straps attached to the AirHawk.

There are a couple of sizes and shapes, make sure you get one that fits properly on your bike.

Zx14 not really tall , height may be a factor as I'm 5'7".When I ride the boring parts of a trip is when I need some butt relief,

good. my friend has it on his Triumph Sprint 1050. He has it set like Lightcycle described; enough air to be above the seat but not over inflated.

Thanks for the help will head to gpbikes tomoorow

Are they worth it? I currently use some $15 padded cycling shorts which improve comfort a bit but not much.

I never tried AirHawk and have no way of comparing - but I use CanadianTire gel seat cushion:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gel-seat-cushion-0321419p.html

It makes huge difference for me. It goes on sale for $9.99 (or $19.99) often.
On their web site, it shows it having a loop/carry handle. Actual cushions have an extension with a "grip" piece of cushion about 4" long - it fits under the seat, between seat and the tank, and keeps it in place, while still allowing me to move it around, fold it over, etc... I wouldn't go on long ride without it.

I wore cycling shorts, but they made it worse, especially on very long rides.

MonkeyButt powder is OK too :oops:

I also have one of the aforementioned Canadian Tire Gel seat pads, and as advround said it works decently.
I think how it improves things is by having increased airflow to the butt area.

I used that idea and got a beadrider for this season, and I am amazed how well it works -- that is how I was able to do multiple 12 and 13 hour days and even one 17 hour day during my recent East Coast run.

I have not used the air hawk, but I do use the bead rider and love it. They are a lot cheaper then the air hawk seats as well.

I have a bead rider and found it made very little difference to my level of comfort. Your sitting on hard ceramic beads and it feels like it. It helps a bit with air flow but not really that much. The big comfort advantage to it is that since the beads are ceramic, it's super easy to shift around in the seat.

My experience might be due to type of bike and seat. My seat you sit down into rather than sit on top of, so there's not much air flowing through the area regardless.

Feels hard...works - no monkey butt, no annoyed sciatic nerve.

I have a Russell Daylong seat and the Beadrider still helps...even tho it feels like it should hurt after while.....it doesn't for me...I guess all thos taxi drivers are on to some thing.

I agree being able to move around easily is a total plus.
I figure for $50 for the Ceramic version it's the cheapest to try ( other than the Canadian tire pad ).

Soft is often not the issue - awful lot of riders swear by the Beadrider.

I still get the same amount of monkey butt with the bead rider, and that was the main reason i bought it. My Mustang seat is comfy but leather is not known for it's breathability

I still get the same amount of monkey butt with the bead rider, and that was the main reason i bought it. My Mustang seat is comfy but leather is not known for it's breathability

What size is it? Wanna sell it?

I use a sheepskin gel seat but tthe stock seat uus decent as is. If you want a huge leap in comfort you're going to want to look at replacing the stock seat at some point.

What size is it? Wanna sell it?

It's the cruiser medium one.. I do like it for the sliding around part. It's just the airflow and increased comfort parts I have been disapointed in.

Bought a saddleman gel pad on Friday for my trip this last weekend. At $100 it was way more than I wanted to spend, BUT I did 14 hours on it yesterday which there would have been no way in hell doing that on my stock seat. I think the airhawk for me would raise the seat height too much. The gel raised it about 1/2" which gave me a little more leg room as a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom