Headlights... learn how to operate, please. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headlights... learn how to operate, please.

Bike Cop

My quick rant:

If you drive a car, you should know how to operate your headlight system. Driving along in the pitch black with daytime running lights on only is dumb. If you know your lights don't work, don't drive at night with only one parking light working. You might as well wave a "stop me please, officer" flag.

And, if you do the above while intoxicated, expect to have some extra attention paid to you by the local constabulary.

This may or may not be a true story.

And if I told you I offered the drunk driver a MADD ribbon on his way out of the station... too soon?

People driving without their lights on drives me absolutely nuts. If you can drive you should know how to work your lights.

Why not just have the lights com on automatically, in this day and age I am sure all car manufacturers could implement the device that would turn your headlights on all by themselves

I put my switch on the Auto position, and like magic they turn on when need be and turn off when not required....

all cars should have this feature, it could be and should be a standard safety feature, just like a third brake light.......

some people are too dumb to know that their daytime running lights are not the same as turning on their headlights.....

100% in agreement.
Another thing that irks me is people modifying their headlights and not properly getting aim done right, blinding me.

100% in agreement.
Another thing that irks me is people modifying their headlights and not properly getting aim done right, blinding me.

Oh man, that annoys me way more than the guys with the crappy low lights. It's about as dangerous, but way more common.

100% in agreement.
HID's in reflectors should be flat out illegal, absolutely no different than driving with high beams on.

Regarding not driving with headlights on and only DRL's: my wife's Audi lights up the instrument cluster no matter if the lights are on or off. Hers doesn't have auto headlights so you have to turn them on manually when it gets dark. My car has auto lights, and only turns on the instrument cluster lights when the lights are turned on. More than once I've driven her car with no lights on just because of instrument cluster being on and me assuming the headlights were on also. Such a stupid 'feature' on a car. And I've noticed this phenomenon quite often with other Audi drivers as well, so I'm not the only dumbass.

It's annoying. Funny how these same people never forget turn on the windshield wipers when it's raining.

If I see people driving at night without lights and I'm behind them I'll flash the **** out of them with my high beams until they turn on their lights lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

HID's in reflectors should be flat out illegal, absolutely no different than driving with high beams on.

Regarding not driving with headlights on and only DRL's: my wife's Audi lights up the instrument cluster no matter if the lights are on or off. Hers doesn't have auto headlights so you have to turn them on manually when it gets dark. My car has auto lights, and only turns on the instrument cluster lights when the lights are turned on. More than once I've driven her car with no lights on just because of instrument cluster being on and me assuming the headlights were on also. Such a stupid 'feature' on a car. And I've noticed this phenomenon quite often with other Audi drivers as well, so I'm not the only dumbass.

How old is the car?

Surely if you leave the lights on, they will shut off when you either shut the car off or when you open the door after shutting it off.

Don't do that ..thats how gangs find their victims...

I think I'm fine, I live in butt **** nowhere and there are lack of gangs, just lots of gun loving red necks like me. But thanks for the heads up. Pretty sure that whole thing is just a hoax, if not I don't stop for nobody on the road lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How old is the car?

Surely if you leave the lights on, they will shut off when you either shut the car off or when you open the door after shutting it off.

Nop, VW still uses a real switch, on is on until the battery dies.

It amazes me... No really it doesn't, people are stupid.... How many cars I see on my way to work in the morning with only their DRLs lit up. A moron I work with hasn't figured out the headlights on his Elantra yet... I have told him dozens of times to turn on his headlights but he hasn't figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try seeing it out here in the sticks where there aren't street lights. Yet Joe clueless still just cruises along...

FYI........

A lot of modern cars automatically turn on the instrument panel lights at night, but keep the DRLs running and rear tail lights off. It even happened to me once upon a time when I was driving a new and unfamiliar vehicle, and got pulled over from the OPP (told me this happens all the time to people). Its quite easy to "forget" to turn on your headlights as from years past, we are conditioned to think that if the instrument panel lights are on, the headlights are on too.

Shame on todays automakers. This shouldn't be happening.

Ever come across people running their high beams on well lit streets? Or during the day

I remember passing a car and I could see the high bream light was illuminated on their dash

Ever come across people running their high beams on well lit streets? Or during the day

Yes! It's disturbing how many people do things the opposite of what I would do in any given situation. There's something strange going on for sure.

Why not just have the lights com on automatically, in this day and age I am sure all car manufacturers could implement the device that would turn your headlights on all by themselves

I put my switch on the Auto position, and like magic they turn on when need be and turn off when not required....

all cars should have this feature, it could be and should be a standard safety feature, just like a third brake light.......

some people are too dumb to know that their daytime running lights are not the same as turning on their headlights.....
I remember the day when people would turn their own lights, park their own cars, back up without a camera and stop being so focused on technology that they actually ****ing payed attention to operating a vehicle, the more tech you put on a car for stuff that should be managed by people the worse we are going to get.

And i am not talking about abs and such

I drive a brand new jeep, if i want my lights on I turn them on - works every time and I don't need help from the factory to do so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom