Do you pre book motels? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you pre book motels?

Depends, as you said, during this time the weekends are packed. I would book if doing things on weekend. For me I can sleep outside in a park bench. Some people might be different

Everything in the right place tonight.
Motel handy with a vacancy at deer-oclock and a tired rider.

Excellent restaurant 2 min ride away

In bed at 9 - should be fresh tomorrow. :D

Wish it was always thus - I can't stand to waste daylight knocking off at 5 but then get concerned if nothing shows up at 7 this time of year especially in the boonies

I never prebook, too many variables that can stop you from getting to a planned destination. What I'll generally try to do is stop somewhere with wifi around 5 or 6 and figure out a place where I will likely stay that night.

Only burned one time. Long day riding to Front Royal in pouring rain, got there to find out they were having some festival and every single hotel room in town was booked. Had to double back 30 minutes to Winchester, that was a painful ride.

I ride till about noon, look at a map and figure where I want to be at quitting time. Then I book a room.

I ride till about noon, look at a map and figure where I want to be at quitting time. Then I book a room.

That's cheating! I'm was talking about pre booking every nights stay like back in the rotary dial days. You kids.

For me the adventure is the trip, looking for a motel6 in the dark is not an adventure its an inconvenience. They do not have a pool or a hot tub. I understand the place to get my head down concept. I prefer a more complete experience, hot tub soak, maybe a patio bar or at least a lounge bar. Happiness is just a steak away.

I was in Atlanta last week, if anybody gets down there Fat Matts may be the best BBQ I've ever had. And only 10 mins from the Westin.......

Just a very minor correction to intell above. Motel6 Huntsville has pool. Stayed there post VRRA meet this Sunday. As per inconvenience, I experienced a minor fright when parking lot was full of cars but got a room anyway. Once that was sorted I went Timmies up the hill and chatted with the local bikers for a spell but had to pull myself away to finish my pack of pepperettes in front of the TV.

I almost never do including when I did a road trip around Yukon/Alaska but I'm told I was very lucky on that trip as the hotels/motels usually fill up very fast.

That trip was in a truck, though, so I just bought some foam mattresses in Whitehorse before we left along with a small camping stove that just screws on top of a propane tank. Didn't use the mattresses so I just returned them when we got back. Only had to cook canned food in one place (Chicken, AK) because we arrived too late and nowhere was serving food any more (by nowhere I meant any of the 3 places that serve food there, which is a lot considering there's like 50 people there).

a memory for you

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-26%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252026%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25209.03.53%2520AM.jpg

I've never taken my bike on an overnight trip, do people usually bring a disc lock or use an alarm when they park overnight?

I've never taken my bike on an overnight trip, do people usually bring a disc lock or use an alarm when they park overnight?
I just park whereever. I've been known to forget my keys in my bikes, too. lol

No thefts yet after 2 years of parking outside in Toronto including forgetting the keys in it in Green P lots a couple of times. Left one out on the road for about 2 months last summer, too.

When I go on trips of less than a week I always pre-book. I am a worry wart. Having said that. I never pre-booked a single night during my 6 week trip to California last April and I never had a problem finding a room. I think it had some thing to do with it being the off-season.

I've been burned on the pre-mentioned "some sort of festival/sports event/convention" in town, as well as some established name motels (Ramada, Quality Inn) being total toilets, so I always use Trip Advisor and book in advance now - usually the night before.
I've also found some gems with Trip Advisor, in budget motel brands I would not normally consider, like Rodeway and Travelodge

I'm a big hotwire fan. I pick their mystery rooms and lowest rates and they've always been good. Not as cheap as a motel, but not as dingy and serial-killerish either.

I've also found some gems with Trip Advisor, in budget motel brands

We were shocked how good Super8 was for the money when we did Alaska.
Lot of attention to detail, mulitple pillows, lots of little conveniences, good breakfast and snacks....one place even had apple pie and pumpkin pie, cinnamon coffee cake and many others in their 24 hour snack area plus a good breakfast choice.

$100 and we liked the plaves so much we signed up for their loyalty plan - ended up I think using Super8 5 nights.

Have to watch them on the weekends tho - rates can go to $170+

Lots near Harrisburg which is a nicce base for riding PA.

Hard to go wrong

http://www.super8.com/hotels/pennsylvania/harrisburg/search-results
Reading the reviews I suspect they are under a major renovation plan as it's uneven.

The ones we stayed at in Yellowknife and parts of Alberta were quite new.
TripAdvisor has a good app for your smart phone.

Last edited:
I have done both. On the bike I usually pre-book because I am not going to push it as hard for distance. In the car I tend to drive until dinner time and then I start to look.

In a recent trip I did learn a lesson though, where we stopped one night the hotel rates were pretty high (170), if we stopped in the small town before they were sub 100. Lesson is, even if not pre-booking calling around before the trip will give you an idea of costs... I will do this next time...

Didn't know you had to book a motel room when you bring a hooker. Thought you just got there and they were already in the room. Guess maybe we're going to different watering holes...

And yes, if I'm off for a trip I'll book ahead of time. This will make me have a set destination for the day and not just pull off the road randomly and try to find a place. By booking ahead, you can plan out your route to see different sights and stop and mingle with the locals to find out about some hidden gems.

Back
Top Bottom