Do you pre book motels? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you pre book motels?

inreb

Site Supporter
I've done three small trips this summer but only pre booked one motel as a precaution. I don't know what's worse, not knowing if a room will be available at the end of a long day or being locked into a route by commitment to a motel? Middle of the week trips I will wing it but weekends are very sketchy in this short tourist season.
That preamble was about Mosport Vintage Meet this weekend. To maximize pleasure I want to ride north after the racing, grab motel, then spend all day Monday meandering home. I hate like heck to book a motel for Sunday night. Opinions?

I always pre-book, for peace of mind. You can always meander a bit and ride back late to the motel.

I've driven up and down the West Coast that way (LA to SF back down to Vegas), it was a total blast. Every night was pre-booked along the way but I tended to show up way late at the hotel. No big deal.

Prebook is needed in some places. In others not so much. Sunday evening tends to be a quieter night.

Prebook is needed in some places. In others not so much. Sunday evening tends to be a quieter night.

I stayed in Midland Monday night. The motelier said Sunday to Thursday is way down. Weekends no vacancy.

Usually take a >3weeks trip each year in the U.S. Only booked ahead once or twice when it was in a remote location and I was spending a couple of days there. I have had no trouble finding motels at night thanks to my GPS. Canada though another story - not so many motels and expensive!. So as suggested, if you are going to spend a couple of days in an area would be good to book ahead than can leave gear in room.

Not so much an answer but do what you feel comfortable with.

When riding alone I don't bother to prebook. It backfires once in a while, like a state college football match in Williamsport that had me backtrack to Renovo late after supper to find a vacancy at Yesterday's.

I've done three small trips this summer but only pre booked one motel as a precaution. I don't know what's worse, not knowing if a room will be available at the end of a long day or being locked into a route by commitment to a motel? Middle of the week trips I will wing it but weekends are very sketchy in this short tourist season.
That preamble was about Mosport Vintage Meet this weekend. To maximize pleasure I want to ride north after the racing, grab motel, then spend all day Monday meandering home. I hate like heck to book a motel for Sunday night. Opinions?
I'm camping tonight at the VRRA outside between three and four. Look for the silver Versys with top box.

I always prebook. I don't have to stress and worry about finding a clean room after a long day on the road. I like being able to read reviews about hotels before I book and I make sure there is some sort of breakfast available as well.

When riding alone I don't bother to prebook. It backfires once in a while, like a state college football match in Williamsport that had me backtrack to Renovo late after supper to find a vacancy at Yesterday's.

I don't know why I do this but when road tripping I have the bad habit of "one more town, what's another (insert kms)?" leaving me fumbling around for motels almost in the dark. Been burned a few times. Not fun when you're good and ready to get off the road.

We could ride together. I do the same thing. Lmao.

We could ride together. I do the same thing. Lmao.

Ya, I would turn that into a competition I can't win. If I push farther than you I lose, if you push farther than me I lose.

I don't know why I do this but when road tripping I have the bad habit of "one more town, what's another (insert kms)?" leaving me fumbling around for motels almost in the dark. Been burned a few times. Not fun when you're good and ready to get off the road.

Yeah, I do the same thing....'cept with camp grounds.

Last time it didn't work in my favour was my 23 hr day...got into my own bed at the end of that one though.
doh.gif

Last edited:
I played this game on my trip as well! I did not pre-book any motels, on purpose, because I valued flexibility above all else. It only affected me slightly, on weekends at popular locations. (And anywhere near Sturgis at the beginning of August.)

Traveling with family is a different story.

It varies, when travelling south of the border you should probably pre-book the first night as the border guards don't like vague answers to the where are you going or staying question. While on trips we have a rough idea what the route is and check out likely stops in advance and lock in a day or two before. Exception to this would be popular destinations where availability would be limited as who wants to stay in flea bag hotel/motel on a pleasure trip.

depends where I'm going and how I'm travelling, sometimes I know exactly which hotel I want to stay at (its part of the trip) and I'll book to be sure they have a room. There is a certain comfort level in knowing hot shower/nice room/proximity to a steak I can walk to, is for me a good thing.

That sounds like pretty good living to me. I bet you don't make a lot of boner moves on a day to day basis.:)

depends where I'm going and how I'm travelling, sometimes I know exactly which hotel I want to stay at (its part of the trip) and I'll book to be sure they have a room. There is a certain comfort level in knowing hot shower/nice room/proximity to a steak I can walk to, is for me a good thing.
Proximity to a steak...

The Pennsylvania run I did in July had to be rerouted to include Beefeaters in Bradford PA so Silverbullet could mow down on prime rib. Not that I'm complaining, but passing road signs mid day saying 'Bradford 20' kinda got to me. Lol.

I prefer to wing it...WInding Roads takes me all over the place and I don't like to be pinned to a destination as I don't know where I'll end the day.
Bit weather dependent, how tired etc.
Set Winding Roads to MontPelier today and then who knows from there....there is usually something and I'm not fussy.

Bit concerned last night as it was Sat in a high tourist area ( Lake Placid ) but no problem at all - got place right on the Lake for $108.

SUnday night and on - wing it.

Sometimes will book a Friday night as we are usually just getting close to some riding region and nice to know can slab late and have a spot instead of hunting..

Ie going to Front Royal for the Skyline drive I'd likely book something close to the start. BTW we had great success with Super8 in Alaska, Yukon and Alberta,,,,terrific rooms and decent breakfast and well priced.

In Front Royal, there is a hostel style hikers cabin accommodation for $20/night including a great breakfast. Its called Mountain Home. Available to book through AirBnB site.

i got stopped there on my trip due to bad weather. Found it online in the rainy afternoon and booked for that evening. Nice couple who own/run it.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/2943135?locale=en

Last edited:
Yeah, I do the same thing....'cept with camp grounds.

Last time it didn't work in my favour was my 23 hr day...got into my own bed at the end of that one though.
doh.gif

This is me to a T. Every day of the trip I tell myself I am going to start looking for a camp site at 6:30 pm or so. Then I see a couple but tell myself "well there seems to be plenty around and I'm not tired so I'll keep going and another will turn up shortly" Almost without fail I don't see another one until after dark. And once its dark I'm too focused on the ditches for deer etc and I'm sure I miss signs for a campground. So far have been lucky and found something every time except the last time...and that turned into a night that my only 2 hours of straight sleep was on the bench at the Syracuse I-81 rest stop.

Back
Top Bottom