Some oil (i think) by the gear lever | GTAMotorcycle.com

Some oil (i think) by the gear lever

zeta_immersion

hi GTAMers?! - kinda assuming what we all are !

I have noticed it before but a few days back seemed too fresh of new (oil I think) on the outside.

have attached a picture maybe someone has a better idea what it is and if I should be concerned about.

cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140819_182018.jpg
    IMG_20140819_182018.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 51
I have noticed it before but a few days back seemed too fresh of new (oil I think) on the outside.

have attached a picture maybe someone has a better idea what it is and if I should be concerned about.

cheers!

Looks like the residue from a fuel leak, not oil. My internet diagnosis skills are not the greatest however. Rub your finger on it and smell then report back. What kind of bike?

Yup thats fuel. Bike is a ZZR250 I believe and its carbs sooooooooo a guess would be stuck float causing a carb to overfill and leak. If its stopped ride on if its not get it looked at.

The bike had a revision check and all went good. they checked the carb for air leakage and a bunch of other things (spark plugs) and no issues. The bike does not stall/burn oil nor lack of power (for a 250).
when it is fresh (not all the time) a drop or 2 fall on the hot exhaust and smells like burnt oil (then again it could be mixed with chain lube) not sure.

the tank whistles when it is ridden hard or gas splashing around when 1/2 full (empty) so it could be vapors blown out mixing with whatever is there.

If it is "normal" then all good a few more days of this so called summer to burn some dinosaur oil

thanks guys

I am not talking about an air leak. I suspect that if a float was still stuck you would know (puddle under the bike) also check oil level and/smell is offending carb was on intake stroke it will fill a cylinder with raw fuel which then leaks past the rings diluting the engine oil and can cost you an engine.
Tank venting on those bikes (whistling) is normal you should hear 30-40 of them side by side its amazing how loud they are. There are other places where fuel can come from including a leaking fuel line, filter, petcock valve or even a rusty tank leaking.
Just go over all well make sure its not leaking and ride on.

Back
Top Bottom