Riding the Ontario Highlands | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding the Ontario Highlands

MacDoc

Site Supporter
B821695825Z120140820101941000GV21A55NN3-556x371.jpg

My wish list for my yearly motorcycle trip includes twisty roads, reasonable accommodations and as little traffic as possible.
As a result, we usually head for Pennsylvania, southeastern Ohio, New England or even Cape Breton Island.
We’ve completely overlooked our home province, primarily because of the “grass is always greener” syndrome, but that all changed recently when I was invited to explore Ontario’s Highlands.
Covering more than 23,000 square kilometres, the Highlands encompass the area between Marmora, Tweed and Perth to the south, the Ottawa Valley to the east, Dorset to the west and Pembroke to the north.
B821695825Z120140820101941000GK01A4HJ55.jpg

The Ontario Highlands Tourism Organization’s new interactive website(ridethehighlands.ca) shows a selection of interesting pre-planned routes, lists more than 2,500 kilometres of awesome roads, along with over 100 motorcycle-friendly businesses including accommodations, restaurants and things to see and do.

more
http://www.wheels.ca/feature/riding-the-ontario-highlands/

FWIW

I've done the eastern section of that route and some of the western. It's a great route. I think I'll borrow that one next time out if I can just get myself out of bed early.

Steve & Larry are good people - I've covered many kilometers with Larry. Good article.

Wish I had more time ....sitting just south of the Eastern end of the route and was thinking of a non-slab way home hmmmmm

Actually might work - take an extra day in Canada instead of the US

Some real nice roads and scenery in this area

When I saw the thread, I was about to post how I'd had just seen an article on this topic the Sun. Turns out it this IS the article I read. I was particularly delighted to read how the owner of a b&b mentioned in the article drove the riders to town to get beers in the evening. Now THAT'S motorcycle friendly service!
I intend on doing this ride. To those of you that have done it, I'm assuming it's a four day trek, judging by the four lodgings listed?

When I saw the thread, I was about to post how I'd had just seen an article on this topic the Sun. Turns out it this IS the article I read. I was particularly delighted to read how the owner of a b&b mentioned in the article drove the riders to town to get beers in the evening. Now THAT'S motorcycle friendly service!
I intend on doing this ride. To those of you that have done it, I'm assuming it's a four day trek, judging by the four lodgings listed?

Nah.....if you keep on going its a one day affair. If you want to take it easy though you can pick a few overnighters and explore some routes.

Is this the route that was written up in the Star last week?

Yes and we've decided to do it tomorrow early - slab to Huntsville early- grab a muffin and fuel then across 60

Then either Quebec or Lake Placid/Adirondacks...Whiteface would be super in the clear air behond this front

Yes and we've decided to do it tomorrow early - slab to Huntsville early- grab a muffin and fuel then across 60

Then either Quebec or Lake Placid/Adirondacks...Whiteface would be super in the clear air behond this front

I saw a moose on the 60 a week or so ago. Also plenty of deer out during daylight too in the afternoon around Haliburton and Bancroft. If you decide to go south after crossing the 60 there's some kind of well known butter tart place in Maynuth, wish I'd have stopped for that.

Just finished the Dynamite Alley route it was dynamite i'm so sore did it from Tuesday morning Toronto to Bancroft then over to The Blue Spruce for the night. Got up at 8 and rode back to Toronto taking the 35 and 7. Clocked over 900 kms, so hard on a Twin 2010 BMW F800r. Wow some of the roads really are amazing and tough on the ole hands and wrists after a good go!! Saw 2 deer, 3 moose, a porcupine and a family of wild turkey haha!! Colors are changing quite nicely now too and not too much gravel or leaves on the road yet!! I definitely recommend if you can do it this month!

Thanks for the report- will recoup from the 5 day Back of the Dragon run ( 2700 km ) and then if it's nice on the weekend maybe tackle that loop.
I'd sort of considered slabbing to Huntsville and then come in at the top. Nice that the leaves are turning.

Sounds like you need a better seat for the F800 .... i put a Sargent on my KLR650 in Aus and what a difference it made.
BMW-F800-R-S-ST-2010.jpg

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Performance-Seat-BMW-F800R/

I have that exact seat. My *** was fine but my back and hands and shoulders a mess. It's the bike though super vibey all the time loves the corners and switchbacks but its tough on the rider!

Hah....do you have a throttle lock and/or palm throttle?
I couldn't do distance without a throttle lock.

WIth that upright seating I'm surprised your shoulders are aching. I shifted the ST1100 bars by an inch up and back and that really helped
Maybe need a handlebar offset or some such?

Just finished the Dynamite Alley route it was dynamite i'm so sore did it from Tuesday morning Toronto to Bancroft then over to The Blue Spruce for the night. Got up at 8 and rode back to Toronto taking the 35 and 7. Clocked over 900 kms, so hard on a Twin 2010 BMW F800r. Wow some of the roads really are amazing and tough on the ole hands and wrists after a good go!! Saw 2 deer, 3 moose, a porcupine and a family of wild turkey haha!! Colors are changing quite nicely now too and not too much gravel or leaves on the road yet!! I definitely recommend if you can do it this month!

Where'd you see the moose? Wouldn't mind heading back up that way to get some pics.

Back
Top Bottom