Planning for a 5-7 day trip, ideas? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Planning for a 5-7 day trip, ideas?

i'd do superior loop

watching tennis open and it is just a deluge

weather isn't looking bad that direction, ive always wanted to do the algoma loop. I was starting to plan and once I started looking up motels I realized everything hovers around the $100 mark....reminded me why I don't tour in Ontario

I think I'm going through the Adirondacks today. Tomorrow there's forecast for rain in the afternoon so I'll slab to PA in the morning where it's forecast to be sunny Wed/Thurs, so I can just go nuts there and then come back. Won't be at all rushed and I can handle one day of rain.

The Squeeze & I took 8 days to get down and ride the Cherahala Skyway. A great part of the trip was West Virginia. We rode 19 down and 16 back up. These are two great roads. They twist and turn up and down through the mountains with hardly a straight stretch. Literally you will barely travel a 1/4 mile without a curve. Good pavement. 55mph limit through most of it (which I constantly bumped to 60-65)

But be warned WV is a depressed state. You will view a near constant stream of shanties and run down single wides.

Also note that these roads meet very close to the New River Gorge Bridge which is well worth seeing (the world's longest steel single-span arch bridge when it opened - now the 4th). The abandoned coal mine of Nutallburg is close by and a not too far away is the ghost town of Thurmond which is also very cool.

Interesting...I'm thinking of forgoing some of the twisties riding and doing more casual touring as you've described 16 and 19. Better sooner than later this year ..

If I slab south where would you suggest picking up 19?

Thanks. Sounds like my cuppa.

Buddy is going to FLorida at some point so might be fun to make that part of his trip. I want to peel off and explore the SMokies a bit.

Great day in the Adirondacks, was a nice 25 degrees all day with minimal traffic. Did about 750km today and staying in a decent $45 motel.

Supposedly heavy rain and thunder tmw afternoon so I'm hightailing it to Williamsport early tomorrow morning - I don't think it'd be realistic to push it any further given the forecast.

That'll come in handy.

Gentleman Johnny's just out of Lake George on route 9n. For the price its pretty decent.

Probably going for 2 nights in PA, figure I can't go wrong there.

Macdoc

You can pick up 19 pretty much at the pa/wv border or at Morgantown. But trust me you will not be forgoing the the twisties. You can catch 16 when it crosses 19 just south of the New River.

Got to state college at 4pm and it started to rain right as I parked, wasn't terrible though. Very boring day slabbing. Thinkingof doing the WV thing since I don't need to be back until Friday. Also wouldn't mind hitting the back of the dragon.

If you are going to Back of the Dragon, please include 16 Tazewell to Marion VA.

https://goo.gl/maps/JuQVS

Got to state college at 4pm and it started to rain right as I parked, wasn't terrible though. Very boring day slabbing. Thinkingof doing the WV thing since I don't need to be back until Friday. Also wouldn't mind hitting the back of the dragon.

I'm feeling beat up, especially my old wrist injuries. Half of me wants to tool around pa then head home, half of me wants to book it to VA.....I'll see after breakfast I suppose

Feel for ya...my left wrist was sore I hand nowhere near the mileage you've been doing.
Worst part of riding for me is dealing with hands ;(

Slabbed to fort royal this morning and now I'm in a McDonald's in waynesboro after riding the length of skyline drive, definitely the highlight of the trip so far. Was thinking of going to roanoke and doing some more riding in VA and TN but I'm dreading the ride back and am starting to burn out. Going to turn it around, maybe slab back to Winchester and head back through pa tomorrow.

Ah it'll look better in the morning and you are already down there. If the weather is good ....go for VA TN....besides I need some more tips on roads :D

Skyline is a cool ride ...did you see any deer?
There was a herd the other side of a stone wall - one of the bucks popped his head up.

Ah it'll look better in the morning and you are already down there. If the weather is good ....go for VA TN....besides I need some more tips on roads :D

Skyline is a cool ride ...did you see any deer?
There was a herd the other side of a stone wall - one of the bucks popped his head up.
Once youre down here its hard to go wrong on any road. Spotted a deer off skyline but nothing else other than excessive amounts of bugs. Already slabbed back to Winchester, body's feeling good but I know myself and i will get carried away. I want to take my time going back as opposed to having to do 1000+ km on Friday so I'll save the rest for a better planned trip next season.

I had the opportunity to try a delicacy called "scrapple" at breakfast today, imagine a loaf of gristly pork....wasnt bad in small amounts.

In fort royal a woman came peeling out of a gas station and cut me off. She forgot her phone on thehood of her car and it slid off on the road. I honked and pulled up to her and tried to tell her, she just gave me a dirty look, cut me off again and peeled off. I lolled.

Made it to Buffalo from winchester in about 6 hours flat. Took the 219 most of the way back, that's the route I'll be taking down next time.

Need to get a throttle lock before the next tour or my right wrist is toast!

I have a spare if you have a 7/8th - in theory we are taking 219 in the morning if this front passes. Are you in TO or Buffalo

I have a spare if you have a 7/8th - in theory we are taking 219 in the morning if this front passes. Are you in TO or Buffalo

I went all the way and got back to TO on Thursday, I'm still decompressing from the trip. I'm using Kuryakyn iso grips so I think I need a 1".

The weather doesn't seem so bad, enjoy the ride!

Back
Top Bottom