[Nerd alert!!!] Good 4 bay NAS in the $200-300 range? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

[Nerd alert!!!] Good 4 bay NAS in the $200-300 range?

Synology /

very good products and very good support
software works and is super easy to use
get the 412+ if you need the power
The 213 is a great unit
I think there was a 213+ with an intel cpu

The idea of cloud backups annoys me greatly. I suppose some people just don't fuss over uploading all their digital possessions to some random third party on a promise of it staying safe.... but I want my data to remain local and physical. Paranoid, I guess; until a big cloud backup server farm gets hacked.

As for non-proprietary RAID, it just makes it easier to retrieve or move your data to and from the NAS device, especially for someone working with hot-swappable hardware. A lot of times it may be easier to just physically move a hard drive to copy data rather than sending it over a network.

Yeah, I've been doing manual backups of my data to an external 2.5" drive of key data (photos/docs). I also have an old Apple Time capsule running behind the TV/Home Theatre acting as a switch. Its still actually backing up my MacBook Air now and then (Ive set it for a weekly back as its not annoying then) and its been a godsend. I was able to go back and recover some photos from my desktop in Jan 2013 that I accicently deleted a couple months ago.

Decided to listen to the common wisdom and I contacted a buddy to see what sort of pricing he can get me on a DS414

Couldn't beat Newegg's $500 price tag. They probably got a HUGE volume discount. If you guys are looking for a NAS, search out "Synology DS414" on newegg.ca

Synology Cloudstation option is great.
No need to worry about backups.
Your personal Google Drive or Dropbox across your devices.

Synology Cloudstation option is great.
No need to worry about backups.
Your personal Google Drive or Dropbox across your devices.

Not a bad concept and since there is a Ubuntu version, I'm betting it'll run on Mint (my main desktop OS). I'll consider it, even though I'll most likely still keep doing regular backups. Will be easy with the benchmarked speeds of this unit, especially since I got GigE throughout the apartment.

Not a bad concept and since there is a Ubuntu version, I'm betting it'll run on Mint (my main desktop OS). I'll consider it, even though I'll most likely still keep doing regular backups. Will be easy with the benchmarked speeds of this unit, especially since I got GigE throughout the apartment.

backups are easy
stick a usb drive on the back and run the built in backup app
It will email you when back completes and if any problems

you can stick a usb drive on your router and also backup to that

This thing is crazy, wait until you see the software, you can even run a phone system from it.
It also allows you to plug in a video camera or 2 and ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom