: Anyone running a dual HID conversion with a Yellow Hi-Beam ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

: Anyone running a dual HID conversion with a Yellow Hi-Beam ?

B-Rye-84

Hmmm...

I know it might seem like an odd question as anyone who does a conversion from a regular halogen to an HID runs both Low/Hi as the same temperature but just wondering if anyone has done what I am asking...

I have an '06 636 and of course I do have both my Low/Hi at the same 5000K now but was contemplating putting in a 3000K into the right side (Hi Beam) ...

If anyone has done this.. has photos of their motorcycle and knows if this is or isn't illegal please chime in...

I already have the bulbs and have had them sitting around now for two weeks but wanna see what others have to say about it...

Reason for it is both cosmetic and easier to spot in fog riding with less glare output IMO...

I welcome all criticism you might have and of course information you care to share with me and everyone else.. negative or positive..

Its a forum where we can all learn so bring it on.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Setting aside the DOT compliance issues and various beam-pattern issues ...

HTA requirement is to have one white forward-facing lamp. (If you have two, as your bike does on high beam, you have one ...) So from that point of view, yellow on the high beam should not be a problem, your bike keeps the low beam (white) on together with high beam.

Using HID on high beam, have you had any issues with bulb warm-up? HID normally takes several seconds to come to full brightness, and they don't like "hot re-strike", it shortens their life.

My car has HID for the low beams (projector headlamps - the beam pattern is OK) but I've kept the stock halogens for high beam because they go to full brightness quicker and don't have hot-restrike issues.

Setting aside the DOT compliance issues and various beam-pattern issues ...

HTA requirement is to have one white forward-facing lamp. (If you have two, as your bike does on high beam, you have one ...) So from that point of view, yellow on the high beam should not be a problem, your bike keeps the low beam (white) on together with high beam.

Using HID on high beam, have you had any issues with bulb warm-up? HID normally takes several seconds to come to full brightness, and they don't like "hot re-strike", it shortens their life.

I figured one operating light would require to be white especially to pass any issues through HTA and as such keeping the running (Lo-Beam) light would not be an issue but wasn't 100% certain.
Initial warm up takes effect when Hi-Beam is turned on but warms up fairly quickly.. I would guess it takes all of 5 seconds to reach full brightness which isn't too bad.

I figured one operating light would require to be white especially to pass any issues through HTA and as such keeping the running (Lo-Beam) light would not be an issue but wasn't 100% certain.
Initial warm up takes effect when Hi-Beam is turned on but warms up fairly quickly.. I would guess it takes all of 5 seconds to reach full brightness which isn't too bad.

That's not so bad the first time, but what happens when you pass a vehicle? Do you leave the high on or turn it off and then wait another 5 seconds for it to come up again?

EDIT:

As a personal opinion HID's in low beam or driving light housings not specifically designed for HID's is a d-bag move. High beams, who cares they shouldn't be on where others are around anyway.

I've got that exact setup on my bike. I'll try and grab a couple of pics in the next day or so. That being said, I highly recommend a retrofit of some sort. I bought the bike with the HID's in and they aren't as useful as you would assume. I was hoping to have my retrofit done this year but school has robbed me of all spare funds :(

80cb13930c5278902e2c832afd190f2c.jpg

HID's on bikes are absolutely unnecessary and annoying...

That being said, my guess is that your white will wash it out and you'll end up with an amberish type halo...

HID's on bikes are absolutely unnecessary and annoying...

That being said, my guess is that your white will wash it out and you'll end up with an amberish type halo...

I believe otherwise. Sometimes when I'm in the boonies I can't see ****. My gixxer headlights are useless, more form than function. With my xenons it is much better. I have them aimed correctly.

As long as you don't put in a 55w, I don't see the problem. Cars have 2 lights, bike normally have one. I'll take all the light I can get

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Back
Top Bottom