Interim councillor calling for 'O Canada' change | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interim councillor calling for 'O Canada' change

1st world White problems...
White+People+problems_72276d_4204233.png

While the law and changes to them may be wrote by religious people (not the church itself )or challenged by them such as Slavery or miscegenation (christians fought on both sides of both of these). They are not based on any particular religious creed, especially not the 10 commandments as some people seem to think, Canada's legal heritage is in the laws of UK and the crown they them selfs are based on older laws mostly from a pre-christian Britain.

Personally if i sign the Anthem i exchange the word "God" for "lets". It works just as well but i don't advocate for a change to an historic work as a matter of government policy. But as noted the original was changed to include a religious refrences probably to placate the evangelics and catholics as was popular in the day.

In old England, the church was the head of state. We have a lot of laws from the crown. So these religious people were christians.

Where do you get your facts from?

In old England, the church was the head of state. We have a lot of laws from the crown. So these religious people were christians.

Where do you get your facts from?

England was not always Christian. The majority of the laws are not based of scripture mostly they are practical just because a law is written by a christian does not make it a Christian law. Not only that but England did not have have single book of law until well after unification. Greek and Roman laws still would have been a greater influence than direct scripture.

And no the the Catholic Church was only head of state until until Henry IIIV came along then the King was head of state who was also the head of the Church. Then it flipped flopped for a few years before settling back as the Monarch being head of state.

Talking about the body of Basic body law here not stuff like the settlement act that prohibits anyone catholic from taking the throne.

The point being Laws develop they are not created whole cloth from scripture. At least not in the UK

Last edited:
They should take religion out of "O' Canada" first.

Absolutely! I dont understand this whole GOD thing in there! Are atheists/agnostics not Canadians? Do we not pay taxes? This is ridiculous and they really need to take it out

We should just sing all of the verses en Francais.

Absolutely! I dont understand this whole GOD thing in there! Are atheists/agnostics not Canadians? Do we not pay taxes? This is ridiculous and they really need to take it out

Aren't there Christians in Canada?

If you don't believe in God why would you even care?

How does an Athiests life change one iota because there is a reference to a God they don't believe in?

They added God, to make the English closer to the French.

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Your forehead is glorious jewels!
As your arm knows how to wear the sword,
He knows how to wear the cross!
Your story is an epic
With glowing.
And your worth, soaked faith
On Guard for Thee,
Protect our homes and our rights.
Under the eye of God, near the giant river
The Canadian grew up hoping.
He was born of a proud race,
Blessed was his birthplace.
Heaven has marked his career
In this new world.
Always guided by its light,
It will keep the honor of his flag,
It will keep the honor of the flag.
His boss, the precursor of the true God,
He wears the front halo of fire.
Enemy of tyranny
But full of loyalty,
He wants to keep in harmony,
His freedom proud;
And the effort of his genius,
On our soil establish the truth
On our soil establish the truth.
Sacred love of the throne and the altar,
Fill our hearts with your immortal breath!
Among the foreign races,
Our guide is the law:
Let us be a people of brothers,
Under the yoke of faith.
And repeat, like our fathers,
The winner cry for Christ and King!
The winner cry for Christ and King!

Aren't there Christians in Canada?

If you don't believe in God why would you even care?

How does an Athiests life change one iota because there is a reference to a God they don't believe in?

There are many other religions in Canada that do not pray to a god or a deity they call god. SOme have many gods and many people dont believe in one. A national anthem is supposed to be inclusive and not exclusive. When you represent one groups belief in a national anthem while ignoring the others, that's not right. But i thought it was pretty straight forward so i didnt feel the need for an explaination. But here you go.

There are many other religions in Canada that do not pray to a god or a deity they call god. SOme have many gods and many people dont believe in one. A national anthem is supposed to be inclusive and not exclusive. When you represent one groups belief in a national anthem while ignoring the others, that's not right. But i thought it was pretty straight forward so i didnt feel the need for an explaination. But here you go.

Pretty much. The "God" reference does not bother me personally. Its not about if an "atheist" cares they might ,they might not, most wont. But i can see the argument being made from secularist point of view. But its a relatively minor one worth getting worked up about.

Last edited:
Pretty much. The "God" reference does not bother me personally. Its not about if an "atheists" care they might they might not most wont. But i can see the argument being made from secularist point of view. But its a relatively minor one worth getting worked up about.
Youre right and im not getting worked up. And its not like im saying we should put 'Science keep our land" or "Spaghetti monster keep our land". Im just saying lets not put words that exclude a huge part of a nation that have to stand up and be proud of an anthem they dont (in parts) believe in.
Instead of god, they can say "We keep our land, glorious and free" or something along those lines which would make more sense IMO

I knew it was bad...but...man...

Yep it's the definition of insanity. I will always remember what General Butt Naked said he did to prepare the troops. They would kill an innocent child maybe 11. Cut his heart into little pieces. All the soldiers would eat a piece and drink the blood to feel invincible.

I will always remember what General Butt Naked said he did to prepare the troops. They would kill an innocent child maybe 11. Cut his heart into little pieces. All the soldiers would eat a piece and drink the blood to feel invincible.

The crazy thing as shocking and terrible as that was it was a ******** on the beach that got to me!

There are many other religions in Canada that do not pray to a god or a deity they call god.

Really, which religions exactly and whom do they then "worship"?

SOme have many gods

So if they pluralized the word "God" then at least they'd cover more people no?

and many people dont believe in one.

So how exactly are their lives negatively affected by a reference to something they don't believe exists?

A national anthem is supposed to be inclusive and not exclusive. When you represent one groups belief in a national anthem while ignoring the others, that's not right. But i thought it was pretty straight forward so i didnt feel the need for an explaination. But here you go.

Unfortunately you can't be inclusive of everything and everyone, Unless of course you add wording something to the effect of "those who believe in a God" and "those who believe in many gods" and "for those athiests ignore any reference to God or gods".

That would be kinda hard to put to music now wouldn't it.......

Really, which religions exactly and whom do they then "worship"?

So if they pluralized the word "God" then at least they'd cover more people no?

So how exactly are their lives negatively affected by a reference to something they don't believe exists?

Unfortunately you can't be inclusive of everything and everyone, Unless of course you add wording something to the effect of "those who believe in a God" and "those who believe in many gods" and "for those athiests ignore any reference to God or gods".

That would be kinda hard to put to music now wouldn't it.......

Hinduism is not monotheistic and believe in a lagr number of gods. Buddhists dont believe in a god. Buddha was never a god in the same way the god of Islam or Judaism are. We have sciontologists here (which i know sounds ridiculous but to the rest of us atheist/agnostics, its no more ridiculous than any other major religion as far as facts and evidence go). Then we have a huge number of agnostics that while not denying god/gods/creators/aliens, then dont necessarily believe in any either. This is excluding the many other smaller religions/cults that have all kinds of beliefs like the Pastafarians. Oh and of course the growing number of atheists.

So no, no one is saying to make an anthem with 50 different beliefsincluded. Just dont include and and make it includisve to all by not using wordings that specifically addreses one group and leaves out many others.

Just like no one is saying to change 'our son' to our male,female,transgenders and ... just put all of us and that will include... well all of us.

vacation2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom