Interim councillor calling for 'O Canada' change | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interim councillor calling for 'O Canada' change

BrownBrady

Her political career at city hall may be short-lived, but the interim councillor for Trinity-Spadina will likely be remembered in Canadian history books for years to come if her motion to make 'O Canada' gender neutral passes.

Ceta Ramkhalawansingh, who was appointed the new councillor for the downtown ward in July, will introduce the motion at Monday's council meeting. City council does not have the power to amend the National Anthem Act, however it can ask Ottawa to change the lines in the English lyrics of the anthem.

"This motion seeks to reaffirm city council's continued leadership and advocacy on gender inclusion by making 'O Canada' gender inclusive," the notice reads. It was seconded by Toronto Centre-Rosedale Coun. Pam McConnell.

Ramkhalawansingh, a retired city staffer and former manager of the city's diversity management and community engagement unit, is not the first person to call for more gender-neutral language in the English lyrics of 'O Canada.'

Last October, a group of well-known Canadian women, including author Margaret Atwood and former prime minister Kim Campbell, started a campaign to also change the English anthem.

They created a website called RestoreOurAnthem.ca. It was launched on the 100th anniversary of when the group says the original English lyrics were revised from "thou dost in us command," to "in all thy sons command."

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/interim-councillor-calling-for-o-canada-change-1.1970843#ixzz3B5Mv85J0

They should take religion out of "O' Canada" first.

What a joke... A person this frame of mind get elected? No wonder the whole country is going to hell in a hand basket

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

They should take religion out of "O' Canada" first.

It's great to see this is the first reply here.

Heck, the term "guys" is fairly gender inclusive, at least in Canada. People are free to take offense to whatever they want though.

What a joke... A person this frame of mind get elected? No wonder the whole country is going to hell in a hand basket

She didn't get elected:
Ramkhalawansingh will serve as the interim councillor for the downtown ward until the Oct. 27 municipal election. City council appointed her to the position after Adam Vaughan stepped down earlier this year.

wallspace1.jpg

Disagree. I'm the last one to be seen @ church however that is part of Canadian heritage. We are not a communist state.

No religion = communist

Mmmmmokay

No religion = communist

Mmmmmokay

It is true, just look at me, a damn atheist and communist to boot.

About the anthem... you can't start nit-picking the words of an anthem that was written more than a 100 years ago. It is the way it is because historical reasons and the language of the times.

Now, Wikipedia says that in June 1990, Toronto City Council started the same discussion! They wanted to change "our home and native land" to "our home and cherished land" and "in all thy sons command" reverted to "in all of us command."

Why does everyone other than a Canadian want to screw around with Canada and it's beliefs, traditions, anthems, sports, and so on........

You don't friggen like it, go back to whence you came from and disturb crap there

I came here from another country and in all my years here I have not once asked for anything to be changed, prayer in the morning, singing the anthem, wearing a motorcycle helmet, working for a living and so on......

Soon this will not be Canada, for me not so bad, as I don't plan to be here when that change occurs

tumblr_lt1iyv1aLZ1qctkcl.jpg

Some people will never be happy. I don't see how this is really hurting women by not being a gender neutral anthem for Canada. Any girls on here want to chime in on this topic? And not the dudes who pose as women online... Please stay home... AND off the internet!

I'm shock they didn't ask for the anthem to use a single word from every country so we can be covered and also for the flag to be changes to ahve a part of every country. This way we cover everyone and now everyone ins equal. HURRAY!!!...

Oh! @ZX600 keep those pics coming! Those are awesome!

JXA4ju6.jpg

About the anthem... you can't start nit-picking the words of an anthem that was written more than a 100 years ago. It is the way it is because historical reasons and the language of the times.

They're asking to have it changed back to the original wording. In 1913 it was changed for no documented reason. It's not a change then but a restoration.

The current version incorporates changes made in 1968 so there is no real reason to argue that it has never changed and should be left as is. It has obviously gone through at least 2 changes.

I am personally FOR changes to both a more original version and a more gender inclusive version. Our world is not static and things change.

Why does everyone other than a Canadian want to screw around with Canada and it's beliefs, traditions, anthems, sports, and so on........

You don't friggen like it, go back to whence you came from and disturb crap there

I came here from another country and in all my years here I have not once asked for anything to be changed, prayer in the morning, singing the anthem, wearing a motorcycle helmet, working for a living and so on......

Soon this will not be Canada, for me not so bad, as I don't plan to be here when that change occurs

This.

And even if one were born in Canada, the anthem and related history was here before said birth so accept it or feel free to move to some other place.

Disagree. I'm the last one to be seen @ church however that is part of Canadian heritage..

I agree with this part of your statement. A lot of laws here were founded by the church. For instance monogamy, from my knowledge you can't be married to 2 women at once. Also taking the oath in court. Most of the moral values in the law were based upon the church in the old days.

So yes, I agree its a Canadian heritage

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I agree with this part of your statement. A lot of laws here were founded by the church. For instance monogamy, from my knowledge you can't be married to 2 women at once. Also taking the oath in court. Most of the moral values in the law were based upon the church in the old days.

So yes, I agree its a Canadian heritage

Sent from my tablet using my paws

While the law and changes to them may be wrote by religious people (not the church itself )or challenged by them such as Slavery or miscegenation (christians fought on both sides of both of these). They are not based on any particular religious creed, especially not the 10 commandments as some people seem to think, Canada's legal heritage is in the laws of UK and the crown they them selfs are based on older laws mostly from a pre-christian Britain.

Personally if i sign the Anthem i exchange the word "God" for "lets". It works just as well but i don't advocate for a change to an historic work as a matter of government policy. But as noted the original was changed to include a religious refrences probably to placate the evangelics and catholics as was popular in the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom