Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer

* * sigh ** ..

Insurance covers "on the way to work" .. not the return trip home. Reason for this is, normally people dont stop on the way to work to run errands etc.
On the way home , quite the opposite.

Your lack of knowledge on insurance for police and fire is actually amusing.

Did not know this. To and from work sounded reasonable, but this makes sense.

What treat different? Mr. Mellens friends and family started the campaign. The other fatalities don't have friends and family? That Mr. Mellon ran in a better social circle should be subject to official approval or some kind of rules of fair play? Codes? By-laws? Grandfather clause?

^^+1
I don't know any of the riders on GTAM personally, as I am relatively new here and my riding is usually limited to back and forth from work. But I believe if one of the members here got killed, that another member may start a fundraising campaign, and I will be there, maybe with not a lot of money, but I will donate. And as I stated before, this is whether they have loads of insurance money or not. This outpouring of support is 10x more important than the money for the family's healing process, especially the children.
At my age, with a 10 year old & a 2 year old, I realize that everything else is just BS, and it is all about the kids.

His insurance premiums are paid as part of his salary and his family WILL be taken care of well. I can't speak for Police (although I assume they are the same), I'm Fire and I am covered both to AND home from work. If I get into a car accident while on way home from work (lets also consider that this man was coming home 30 mins early from end of shift), my family would collect money just as if I got into car accident while at work in a truck. If anyone remembers the firefighter who died at the propane explosion a few years ago, he died of an MI (heart attack) and wasn't even on shift (he came in to help out). His family was taken care of as well.

What treat different? Mr. Mellens friends and family started the campaign. The other fatalities don't have friends and family? That Mr. Mellon ran in a better social circle should be subject to official approval or some kind of rules of fair play? Codes? By-laws? Grandfather clause?

Treated different because of the job...... U didnt notice the difference in media coverage?

His insurance premiums are paid as part of his salary and his family WILL be taken care of well. I can't speak for Police (although I assume they are the same), I'm Fire and I am covered both to AND home from work. If I get into a car accident while on way home from work (lets also consider that this man was coming home 30 mins early from end of shift), my family would collect money just as if I got into car accident while at work in a truck. If anyone remembers the firefighter who died at the propane explosion a few years ago, he died of an MI (heart attack) and wasn't even on shift (he came in to help out). His family was taken care of as well.

Your not covered leaving work.

Treated different because of the job...... U didnt notice the difference in media coverage?

Oh, the coverage? Not the actual thing.

"Ontario Provincial Police were called to the scene just before 5 a.m. after Mellen, riding his Suzuki motorcycle southbound on Hwy. 406, collided with a northbound Pontiac Sunfire being driven by a 24-year-old Welland woman. Mellen was thrown from the bike and crashed into the Sunfire's windshield. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

You can see temporary lights set up here:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/08/08/21860981.html

...which describes the classic left turn in front of a motorcycle crash/death.

"Charges are certainly pending..."

Why do some deaths get more attention than others? Some humans burn a little brighter than others. They create change in the world. Mellen created change in the world by being a cop that was a cop to change cops. He taught them to not become jaded by the job and to not turn into the stereotypical "prick" cop. I'll bet he let most people go with a warning (and a laugh) and especially supersport riders...as he rode a GSXR 1000. My instincts are proven correct by the outpouring of emotion at his funeral:

http://www.chch.com/funeral-held-niagara-constable-mellen/

The better and more intelligent question is "why are good people taken early?" (as asked by a poster in the comments section of this newssite).

Answer: (as far as I can tell), the good are the good for a reason. They walk a path of change and are here to deliver that change and then they go. Simple as that. Insert the name of your favourite musician who died young and you can probably deduce why he/she was here and what his/her message was.

Watch Joe Mellen's videos, and share them, I'm sure he would like that.

http://tinyurl.com/krm7wty

Last edited:
Why do some deaths get more attention than others? Some humans burn a little brighter than others.
wow - this is very offensive to those other riders that have died.

What do you know about those people that you dare to say their lives were less bright than this one?

This entire thread is just ridiculous, no offense to you as I believe as most people on facebook you are letting yourself be lead by the latest fad, you would have been better off throwing a bucket of ice on yourself.

Good intentions wrong way to go about it - if this is fr the kids to see the support for the dad, organize a ride and leave the fund raiser out of it. This person's family does not deserve more or less than anyone else and his light didn't shine brighter because he was a cop that rode and had a family or because he made his fellow cops "be less dickesh towards others".

Last edited:
Bitter much?

Bitter much?
Me? not at all - Just my point of view on a forum composed of people I mostly don't care much about :)

Me? not at all - Just my point of view on a forum composed of people I mostly don't care much about :)

Is this an anomaly? Are you on any forums composed of people you care much about?

wow - this is very offensive to those other riders that have died.

What do you know about those people that you dare to say their lives were less bright than this one?

This entire thread is just ridiculous, no offense to you as I believe as most people on facebook you are letting yourself be lead by the latest fad, you would have been better off throwing a bucket of ice on yourself.

Good intentions wrong way to go about it - if this is fr the kids to see the support for the dad, organize a ride and leave the fund raiser out of it. This person's family does not deserve more or less than anyone else and his light didn't shine brighter because he was a cop that rode and had a family or because he made his fellow cops "be less dickesh towards others".

I wasn't referencing any of the other dead riders, nothing to do with any of them, it was a general statement. For some people Life is a noun. For others Life is a verb. Get it?

Don't worry I'm not taking your post personally. The forum as a whole seems to be quite angry these days...not enough summer is bringing you guys down. Get to a beach and absorb some rays! 1 day at the beach = 5 days of summer (my math). Get it while you can!

/End

Last edited:
Wow, all this talk about the drive to and from work being considered as on the job makes me think I've been getting shafted all these years by no being paid for the 2 hours I spend driving to and from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* * sigh ** ..

Insurance covers "on the way to work" .. not the return trip home. Reason for this is, normally people dont stop on the way to work to run errands etc.
On the way home , quite the opposite.

Your lack of knowledge on insurance for police and fire is actually amusing.

Are you sure about this? When I used to work afternoons I would do all my running around before work. There was nothing I could do after work when I finished around 11:30. Does that mean people who work afternoons or mid nights get no coverage at all?

So having a different opinion means I need to get some sun? mmkkaayyy

I think you back pedaled but we will leave it at that. Time for me to go "get some sun"
I wasn't referencing any of the other dead riders, nothing to do with any of them, it was a general statement. For some people Life is a noun. For others Life is a verb. Get it?

Don't worry I'm not taking your post personally. The forum as a whole seems to be quite angry these days...not enough summer is bringing you guys down. Get to a beach and absorb some rays! 1 day at the beach = 5 days of summer (my math). Get it while you can!

/End

Back
Top Bottom