Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer

Nice passive aggressive comment. I have no dependents and i do have life insurance to the point that if something does happen to me, my fiancee will have the house paid off and enough money to weather the storms.

Just for one second pull your *** out of the emotional barrel and think clearly. If every person who died not from old age had a charity going what would that look like? Especially for a person who due to their line of work will have their family taken care of.

You know, back in the day it was seen as pride and honor not to accept donations unless really struggling. Seems nowadays everyone who has a boo boo or a stupid idea is reaching for the "please donate" button.

Hope you've got lots of coverage....

Wow. So disappointed in some responses here ..

Where do some of you think theres a huge payout for this? Sure life insurance, but its not huge ...

Regardless of his JOB, he has young kids and he rode.

It would be no different if one of you crashed, and left behind a family and a friend posted looking for donations.

@matthew No word on the details except it's been a problem area where they are widening two lanes into four. 5:30 am, dark, road signs, could go either way but I'm betting on the chick driving straight into him. A cop supersport rider is likely to know his route home quite well and it's unlikely that he messed up that badly. I could be wrong, it's just a gut feeling.

I think more than the money, the two young kids may look back on the day they lost their dad, and remember that absolute strangers cared. It's about giving them that memory. The money represents the memory of the strangers who cared.

The cop was coming home after either a 10 or 12 hour shift. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it was the woman in car.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it was the woman in car.

I would.
And on a passionate level I can understand how a couple shekels might ease the passage into fatherlessness.

Nice passive aggressive comment. I have no dependents and i do have life insurance to the point that if something does happen to me, my fiancee will have the house paid off and enough money to weather the storms.

Just for one second pull your *** out of the emotional barrel and think clearly. If every person who died not from old age had a charity going what would that look like? Especially for a person who due to their line of work will have their family taken care of.

You know, back in the day it was seen as pride and honor not to accept donations unless really struggling. Seems nowadays everyone who has a boo boo or a stupid idea is reaching for the "please donate" button.

Guess that I'm much younger than you are as I don't recall a time that I know of where someone who is struggling or had a caregiver get killed. Looked at those who wanted to help them and say, "Thanks but I got this.". The money won't return their father which is the greatest loss here. Any loss of life is horrible. Having the ability to help others over come emotional or physical grief is something some people are willing to do for others. Maybe you aren't that kind of person.

Seems we both have our own opinions on this situation.

A couple of things:
He was a working LEO so he had life insurance, lots of life insurance, paid for by us, with our tax dollars through his police association.

There has been no announcement of HTO charges either way so I find it easy to infer that he was the one that crossed the line.

So his kids are well provided for and by inference he was the author of his own misfortune.

Yeah I know. I'm a heartless bastard.

A couple of things:
He was a working LEO so he had life insurance, lots of life insurance, paid for by us, with our tax dollars through his police association.

There has been no announcement of HTO charges either way so I find it easy to infer that he was the one that crossed the line.

So his kids are well provided for and by inference he was the author of his own misfortune.

Ya but..........but somebody wants to raise money regardless. Does it have to make sense or fit into the zeitgeist? I guess everything has a sell by date, charity is now considered gauche, unfashionable and offensive to some. It's been done to death, find another cause. Scram.

Christ, maybe you should have stayed "back in the day". Your outward and negative criticisms towards those who wish to find and give some compassion is what is truly corrupt and disheartening. Show a little humanity, at least enough to respect the left-behind families desire to make up for losing such a significant part of their very existence.

Was it determined who crossed over the centre line? Was it the officer or was it the woman driving n the opposite direction?

I was wondering that myself. When a cop is involved, details are always vague.

Give/not give is a personal choice, but people find reasons not to give to anything.

Take home message from this tragedy is that a responsible father should have enough insurance for his family, as well as disability insurance.

A couple of things:

Wrong.
insurance isn't on the tax payer dime, it comes off his/her pay cheque.

Wrong.
insurance isn't on the tax payer dime, it comes off his/her pay cheque.

The first insurance hit here will be his police association policy... funded by tax exempted dollars and government grants. He was on his way home from work. Insurance considers the trip to and from work as "on the job".
His personal insurance will kick in after that, if need be. From what I have personally seen there will be no need. Police/Fire are usually well taken care of.
It's the military we screw over good.

I don't have a problem donating to a cause when 100% of the donations goes to said cause/family/etc. But, it's unfortunate that the generosity of people gets taken advantage of. The last time I was in Las Vegas, there was a guy with a sign that clearly said he wanted money to buy cigarettes/booze (can't remember which one). I appreciated his honesty, and gave.

A few weeks ago, I was at a well-known store that sells motorcycle gear, etc. They were having a bbq and apparently, the proceeds being collected for "Sick Kids". I didn't see any signs, just someone verbally saying so. Personally, that didn't sit well with me.

The first insurance hit here will be his police association policy... funded by tax exempted dollars and government grants. He was on his way home from work. Insurance considers the trip to and from work as "on the job".
His personal insurance will kick in after that, if need be. From what I have personally seen there will be no need. Police/Fire are usually well taken care of.
It's the military we screw over good.

* * sigh ** ..

Insurance covers "on the way to work" .. not the return trip home. Reason for this is, normally people dont stop on the way to work to run errands etc.
On the way home , quite the opposite.

Your lack of knowledge on insurance for police and fire is actually amusing.

Really surprised at the responses here. I thought bike community was more of a tight family. Would think those with kids or family could understand that lose is lose. Not asking for a fortune just the family and kids can see how many people care about their dad or husband. Charity ride may have been better for those that don't want to donate because are hung up on some possible payout they might receive.
new here and thought this was to be best gta bike forum

28 fatalities this year, but treat this one different is the issue

What treat different? Mr. Mellens friends and family started the campaign. The other fatalities don't have friends and family? That Mr. Mellon ran in a better social circle should be subject to official approval or some kind of rules of fair play? Codes? By-laws? Grandfather clause?

Last edited:
With all due respect to the person killed and their family + everyone else killed and impacted by a motor vehicle deaths everywhere this family will be relatively well provided for financially and they will have a support network to fall back on. If you are inclined to donate funds to families impacted by the death of a parent then most others would be more needy than a government employee with full benefits.

Back
Top Bottom