Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fundraising Campaign for Children of Killed Niagara Regional Police Officer

-Maverick-

Not a fan of cops, but hearing this guys story and seeing his life (he's a musician all over YouTube) kind of hits home. Joe Mellen was hit head-on on his GSXR Aug 8 by a 24 year old woman in a construction zone in Welland. There's a fundraiser for his 5 and 7 year old kids going on here:

http://www.610cktb.com/news/2014/08...n-launched-for-children-of-killed-nrp-officer

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Off-Duty-OPP-Officer-Deadly-crash-in-Welland

Seeing this on a motorcycle forum, well, maybe the popo will remember to give us a break once in a while. Best wishes to his kids.

Check out his music on YouTube, quite impressive!

http://tinyurl.com/krm7wty

http://www.chch.com/welland-crash-victim-joe-mellen-prankster/

RIP Joe Mellen

Alright ill be an *******. Why do his kids deserve a fund raising more than any other families of car crash victims? In fact ill go as far as to say that with him being a LEO, he has left a nice chunk of change, nicer than average joe would. Union and all that jazz.

Everybody's got their mother****ing hand out lately.

Gee.. Second post shows why I hate the attitude of the Farkin GTA culture.

This explains it:

Q: How do you know you've landed at Pearson Airpot?

A: When the pilot turns off the engines, you can still hear the whining.

Last edited:
Alright ill be an *******. Why do his kids deserve a fund raising more than any other families of car crash victims? In fact ill go as far as to say that with him being a LEO, he has left a nice chunk of change, nicer than average joe would. Union and all that jazz.

There will always be someone who has there hand out looking for a helping hand to get back up onto their feet. Hope you don't get yourself into a situation where you're asking for a little help. Might make you think twice...

With that being said, thanks for posting the link. I'll toss a few extra bucks to the children.

Not judging the fundraising efforts...

This is a real question.... As I would think that emergency worker's families are taken care of if the emergency worker is killed?

Does it matter that he was killed on the way home from work.. and while not technically on duty?
Would that change things are far as family receiving benefits?

Does it matter that he was killed on the way home from work.. and while not technically on duty?

It shouldn't. Most police services provide life insurance as part of their benefit packages.

Didn't your mother tell you to not put your foot in your mouth? ;)

Its called having insurance and being a responsible adult with children. With that being said, Unions have strong hand in peoples benefits and thats why i said that family will already be well compensated for their loss. Would you guys feel the same if a well known millionaire is killed in an accident and his family had their hand out?

As for the other persons comment. No, according to labour board, travelling to work is seen as part of the work and benefits are the same as being injured at work.

There will always be someone who has there hand out looking for a helping hand to get back up onto their feet. Hope you don't get yourself into a situation where you're asking for a little help. Might make you think twice...

With that being said, thanks for posting the link. I'll toss a few extra bucks to the children.

The campaign is for the children above and beyond whatever payouts are in place. Money seems to ease pain and smooth rough waters. I believe it's the standard currency for these situations. A yard full of teddy bears doesn't always cut it. That some other peoples' head explodes is just a normal byproduct.

Almost all cops I have come across are outstanding officers. Theyve cut me slack almost every time and let me go with a warning. In my experience, it comes down to your attitude and previous driving record.

And there are fundraising events for the families of all types of people who have all kinds of bad things happen to them. This is not unusual or because he was a cop. I see them all the time for people from all walks of life.

I got to agree

And there are fundraising events for the families of all types of people who have all kinds of bad things happen to them. This is not unusual or because he was a cop. I see them all the time for people from all walks of life.

yes, even the gasta brah's who get shot have fundraisers set up for them.

I have insurance to provide for my family ? in case anything happens.
I have house insurance if disaster strikes.
Sometimes this means less money for video games for the kids, or Big Macs for me. But that's what I choose to do. I sleep better at night. But if anything happens to me, while I am riding, and there is a fundraiser to help my kids out, just know that I will be up there humbled and appreciative of your generosity.
And for the people that spend their money on beer or whatever, rather than insurance, you are lucky that there are some of us (some would call us suckers), that will help out so that their kids don't have to suffer.
I don't think either example is more or less deserving of the assistance.
This world needs a little more generosity and compassion.
Just my two cents on the issue.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I don't think either example is more or less deserving of the assistance.
This world needs a little more generosity and compassion.

well said, people should follow their own moral compass and elect to support or not as they choose. Not sure if this is the place to debate the validity of any personal decision

Last edited:
Not judging the fundraising efforts...

This is a real question.... As I would think that emergency worker's families are taken care of if the emergency worker is killed?

If killed on duty, each child gets 250,000 dollars (at age 18 ), mother (wife) gets 750,000 and the officers salary, as well as his life insurance (mandatory). Dad was a Toronto Police officer for 35 years, the pay outs were awesome, that was 8 years ago.

Killed off duty is totally different...

Last edited:

i know someone whose dad died on duty due to natural causes. financially his family is doing just fine.

i have to agree, it does not make his family more deserving just because he was a police officer, look at all the other deaths there are every day with no fundraisers.
also, lets not forget most motor vehicle policies have a death benefit that would get paid out.

from IBC: http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/documents/brochure/Accident_Benefits_Cvrg_ON.pdf

HOW MUCH CAN YOU RECEIVE?
The amount of the death benefit you will receive depends on your
particular situation.
If you are the spouse of a person killed in the motor vehicle collision,
you may be entitled to a payment of $25,000, or $50,000 if the additional
death and funeral benefit was purchased. If the deceased person had no
spouse, the dependants of the deceased person will be entitled to share
$25,000 equally.
In addition, if you were dependent on the person who died, or if the
person who died was obliged under a domestic contract or court order
to provide support to you, you will be entitled to a benefit of $10,000,
or $20,000 if the additional death and funeral benefit was purchased.
If a dependant died as a result of a motor vehicle collision, the $10,000
payment will be made to the dependant’s financial support or care
provider or, in the case that this individual has died, to the spouse of the
financial support or care provider if the spouse was the primary caregiver
of the dependant. If the financial support or care provider and spouse
do not survive for 30 days after the collision, the $10,000 is shared by all
dependants who survive for these 30 days.
Funeral expenses are reimbursed to a maximum of $6,000, or $8,000 if
the additional death and funeral benefit was purchased."

Its called having insurance and being a responsible adult with children. With that being said, Unions have strong hand in peoples benefits and thats why i said that family will already be well compensated for their loss. Would you guys feel the same if a well known millionaire is killed in an accident and his family had their hand out?

As for the other persons comment. No, according to labour board, travelling to work is seen as part of the work and benefits are the same as being injured at work.
100% correct, in fact car insurance companies will push part of their claim onto the employers benefits if they find out they were driving to or from work, or out for lunch while at work.

Hope you've got lots of coverage....

Gee.. Second post shows why I hate the attitude of the Farkin GTA culture.

This explains it:

Q: How do you know you've landed at Pearson Airpot?

A: When the pilot turns off the engines, you can still hear the whining.

....................Whining about whining!

Back
Top Bottom