Adirondacks - 2 day trip - route suggestions? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adirondacks - 2 day trip - route suggestions?

Not much sleep - reasons unknown - maybe that really good decaf wasn't ;)

Did got some shuteye after 4.30 am and slept til 8 am which is fine given the fog in the morning.
Breakfast at McD's oatmeal and a small ( a relative opinion ) coffee for $3 and decent Wifi. Back to cheap touring tho that was a fine meal last night and another set up for Letchworth Park later this aft.
The Adirondacks is swarming with traffic on the change over as those with rentals that are up leave and those with new rentals come in.....pair of exiting SUV's blew by me and Cooper Mini - what's the point of speeding on relatively boring roads....we were both doing about 65 in a 55.

So these two hurry to get home, the trailing one decides to pass the other one....and in the bushes.....a radar cop.....$$$$$ big time and he nailed both of them.

Bit of bad luck for them but I figure they went by me at about 80+ and then one passed the other...I'd bet 35-40 MPH over the limit for that lead guy.

Cop was very good to get both without causing a slow down at all.

Once Winding Roads kicked in got off the main track....don't really feel like dealing with frantic "gotta get home" types on such a nice low stress day.

BTW if going through Inlet NY...head along the south shore...quieter and prettier than the main race course.
I'd looked at it last night then forgot about it but was impressed the TomTom app picked it off nicely - and told me about it a couple hundred meters from the turn. Pretty run for about 17 km.

Mostly nice pavement on the byways in the park tho a few pretty rough ....
The eastern park is very quiet but there are not a lot of road choices getting over to Vermont as it funnels through to the bridge.
More to explore north and south there another time. GF wants a road trip in the area so will leave it.

Seems the better roads for riding interest would be to the north around Lake Placid but sooo busy on a summer weekend. Week day in the fall would be fun ( did that last time we were here and went up Whiteface - bloody chilly at the top at cloudbase....nice ride tho some very rough pavement....amazing views. WOrth doing once.

Decided to head west to Letchworth via backroads and then home if too tired or to PA if motivated and it's such a lovely day.

Last edited:
Vermont 100 is pretty chopped up in spots. I rode it in June with a buddy and we really enjoyed it, but mostly at 10mph over as some of the pavement gets your line when you wick it up too much.

I just dabbled in Vermont as want to do it with GF. The roads along Mad River look to be worth exploring more...Bristol is a cool town to base out of.

Found some surprising stuff south of the Fnger Lakes with Winding Roads tho nothing particularly technical......just lovely farm/woods roads - some perfect pavement with nary a car in sight and big sweeps and nice elevation changes.

Really need to set MotionGPS to track mode as I kave no idea where I was other than in general terms.
But some was much fun tho did not push as not enough sleep.

Feel okay after 13 hour day. Couple of breaks.
Of course riding into the damn sun for a couple of hours was truly annoying but then breezed the border and a truly spectacular sunset was a good finish off.

Vermont 100 is pretty chopped up in spots. I rode it in June with a buddy and we really enjoyed it, but mostly at 10mph over as some of the pavement gets your line when you wick it up too much.

There are some rougher sections but I had no issues. I was also taking it easy though. Plus 20mph top and most of the time plus 10 like you did.

There's also a neat little road that forks to the right off Whiteface summit road, just before the toll. Forgot the name.

I was a bit tight for time in the 2 day span. Next time I go it'll be 3 days.

BTW, anyone going around the same time next year, check for hotel room availabilty. Something called "parents' week" was happening and occupancy was very high. Got gouged at Days Inn in Burlington, VT - recommend against staying there. Every other hotel was booked solid.

Last edited:
Yeah - I was time tight even with the extra half day on Friday. Shorter days don't help.
A fall back is AirBnB to find a spot but also some motels are not hooked in for availability.
I figure between Saranac and Placid there is always something.

Inlet NY was a surprise - lot of space
http://inletny.com/wp/?tag=hotel-motel
- I think it was the end of the line for the train up from New York.
https://goo.gl/maps/RNqPY

I stayed here
http://www.deermeadowsmotel.com

ate here
http://www.seventhlakehouse.com

Wickedly good value if you stick with the appetizer menu.
http://www.seventhlakehouse.com/Starters.html

Last edited:
Few pics...

Go faster signs :D
Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-25%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252025%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25206.08.25%2520AM.jpg

Lots of these

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-25%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252025%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25206.07.12%2520AM.jpg

Bakery Cafe in Bristol.Vermont...fantastic good food and coffee...

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-25%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252025%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25206.06.56%2520AM.jpg

heading into Lake Placid late

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-25%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252025%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25206.05.22%2520AM.jpg

Nice posts. Thanks - brought back memories.. I did Vermont years ago.. abeit in my car.. but at least it was a manual transmission Mazda Protege 5.

I just went down for Saturday night, my first time in NY/VT. It was beautiful!

Saturday - Toronto to Gananoque, I81 to Watertown, then hwy3/86 to Lake Placid. Stayed in the Econo Lodge just outside town. Cheap and clean.

Sunday - 73 to 9N, 1hr ferry to Burlington, 289 to 15 up and over Smugglers Notch (MUST DO), 108 to 100 back to I89. I89 to 2, ferry to Plattsburgh, I87 to 11 (was empty all the way to Potsdam) to Canton, 68 to Ogdenesburg, cross into Canada, 401 to Toronto.

I just went down for Saturday night, my first time in NY/VT. It was beautiful!

Saturday - Toronto to Gananoque, I81 to Watertown, then hwy3/86 to Lake Placid. Stayed in the Econo Lodge just outside town. Cheap and clean.

Sunday - 73 to 9N, 1hr ferry to Burlington, 289 to 15 up and over Smugglers Notch (MUST DO), 108 to 100 back to I89. I89 to 2, ferry to Plattsburgh, I87 to 11 (was empty all the way to Potsdam) to Canton, 68 to Ogdenesburg, cross into Canada, 401 to Toronto.

no sure if you're a snowboarder, but the BURTON head office/factory is in Burlington. I visited it years ago. Really cool store there.

Was crazy amount of outdoor shops and activities along the Mad River. Really nice area. Got as far as Montpelier.

I'm thinking next time - as much as I detest slab Ogdensburg makes the most sense for Vermont

https://goo.gl/maps/kbLqc

707 from Mississauga to Waitsfield via Ogdensburg - wish I was not on the other side of Toronto.

https://goo.gl/maps/UU0jG

The only way is to get moving at 6 am and take the 407 - then 700 km is easy starting early and can always hole up around Lake Placid.

Maybe this is a plan for the Labour Day weekend tho Vermont will be a nightmare on that weekend...... :(

Last edited:
no sure if you're a snowboarder, but the BURTON head office/factory is in Burlington. I visited it years ago. Really cool store there.
Damn!!!! Next time I'll have to check that out for sure.

I've always had really good luck with hotwire "mystery" rooms when I've been to the Adirondacks and Vermont. With a little bit of crafty web searching you can usually work out what the hotels are, especially in Burlington as there's not that many that hotwire uses. In fact, twice we've stayed at the same one just up from the university campus booked through hotwire for bargain rates. I think we even booked one of the hotels sitting in the lobby using the guest wireless.

Back
Top Bottom