Adirondacks - 2 day trip - route suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adirondacks - 2 day trip - route suggestions?

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
I had a change of plans. Have to remap my 3 day trip into a 2 day and also going to a different place now.

Anyone can suggest some can't-be-missed roads in Adirondacks (upper NY)?

I can do up to 1,000km in a day. Was thinking about crossing in Johnstown, east of Kingston.

Thanks!

I had a change of plans. Have to remap my 3 day trip into a 2 day and also going to a different place now.

Anyone can suggest some can't-be-missed roads in Adirondacks (upper NY)?

I can do up to 1,000km in a day. Was thinking about crossing in Johnstown, east of Kingston.

Thanks!

What a coincidence -- I was just going to post this exact same question, but rather than duplicate posts I think I will just hijack yours.

For me, I will be staying in Watertown NY for two nights, so I have an entire day from there to kill, so 5 or 6 hours out, and 5 or 6 hours back.

I was thinking this route: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=N...q=water&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=7&via=1,2,4&t=m&z=7

But am hoping for improvements to this route by those experienced with routes in that area.

Decent route tho on the weekend might be hard to make time on it.
Might just purloin that and do it leisurely. :D

You really can't go wrong in the mountains.
Try Hurricane mountain road while you are there.

Having just returned from the Adirondacks...here are some suggestions - I felt Alexandria Bay N.Y., on Hwy 12 just as you cross into the states (at Lansdowne) was a much more scenic place to stay than Watertown, Lake Placid was nice too, if you can get a room. Also Burlington Vt. would be my other choice to spend the night - very scenic town. One of the most scenic roads was Hwy 73 from Keene (Valley) to Hwy 9 - awesome with lots of scenic rest spots. Rosalia Italian Kitchen in Wilmington NY, (Hwy 86 North of White Face Mountain) across from the North Pole Inn, had awesome food. That is to say, if you take 86 north out of Lake Placid, you can cross from Port Kent to Burlington VT. too. Some pics. of the trip. https://www.facebook.com/seabreez.m...39201555906.1073741879.100007595193181&type=1

Last edited:
Lucky you. It was raining a couple of weeks ago, almost as soon as I hit Saranac...

a3f4d6397e56f66fd46b8eff325da437.jpg

As Rotten Ronnie has said, you can't go wrong.

Try to work this in: https://goo.gl/maps/uxccF, up and over a mountain, lots of twists and turns. Fantastic!

Last edited:
My only input to this is that Watertown isn't the nicest place to stay. Saranac Lake isn't too bad, cheaper accomodation than in Lake Placid but I've found a lot of it to be pretty "Norman Batesish".

Agreed on Watertown and I'll likely head to the farthest east and work back.
Lots of places available around Lake Placid usually

This time of year there are all sorts of festivals so accommodation can be iffy on the weekend.
No sales tax in Vermont AFAIK.

Ride up Whiteface is fun ....whoops in pavement.
Cold at the top tho.

Promised myself I'd go back and do it properly.

I wouldn't stay in Watertown if I were staying at a hotel, it just happens to be where I have another place to base out of.

HH - that's good info.

••••

Diesel

here's another "quest"

Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192333PM.jpg

If these old farts can do it ..... ;)
Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192121PM.jpg

Hmmmm- bit of rain today on the way to Lake Placid but weekend seems alright.

That bright yellow dot heading east will be me in my new HiViz AFX-helmet. Enjoy.

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

Last edited:
likely so.
Holed up the Lake Flower In just outside Lake Placid...okay spot - walkable food, wifi - bike right outside the room $108 - bit high but hey it's tourist season and in deer country at 8.30 pm ....I'll take. It
Lots of deer sighted on the way and a couple of wild turkey families.

http://www.adirondacklakeflowerinn.com/

.bit soggy but my feet are dry - :D 570 km since noon is "okay" given the traffic at various spots to shake loose of the city.
Got chilled as it started to rain just as I was in the line for the border and the Nexus was closed....no chance to get the rain jacket on and then on and off showers so I left it on over dampish mesh

When air temp got under 20 started to get chilled tho nothing nasty and the heated grips fed enough warmth in - but still was glad to change out as both technical shirts were damp - bad luck with timing as it had only been spitting up to then.
Needed gas so figured I wait to put the wet gear on....wrong - wrong decision.
Guy was nice at the border..Nexus gets them all warm and fuzzy :rolleyes:

Glad I was not coming the other way....not sure what was going on but many many km of backed up vehicles going west bound just west of Kingston

Food time

Smoked salmon very good, drizzled with excellent olive oil, sufficient capers and just a bit of onion...., bread excellent, latte marginal but welcome and a soggy caesar I won't finish.

Long day since I was up early.

Last edited:
likely so.
Holed up the Lake Flower In just outside Lake Placid...okay spot - walkable food, wifi - bike right outside the room $108 - bit high but hey it's tourist season and in deer country at 8.30 pm ....I'll take. It
Lots of deer sighted on the way and a couple of wild turkey families.

http://www.adirondacklakeflowerinn.com/

.bit soggy but my feet are dry - :D 570 km since noon is "okay" given the traffic at various spots to shake loose of the city.
Got chilled as it started to rain just as I was in the line for the border and the Nexus was closed....no chance to get the rain jacket on and then on and off showers so I left it on over dampish mesh

When air temp got under 20 started to get chilled tho nothing nasty and the heated grips fed enough warmth in - but still was glad to change out as both technical shirts were damp - bad luck with timing as it had only been spitting up to then.
Needed gas so figured I wait to put the wet gear on....wrong - wrong decision.
Guy was nice at the border..Nexus gets them all warm and fuzzy :rolleyes:

Glad I was not coming the other way....not sure what was going on but many many km of backed up vehicles going west bound just west of Kingston

Food time

Smoked salmon very good, drizzled with excellent olive oil, sufficient capers and just a bit of onion...., bread excellent, latte marginal but welcome and a soggy caesar I won't finish.

Long day since I was up early.

Theres some work going on in the westbound 401 lanes just outside Kingston backing traffic up. Head to highway 2 and take that in instead if that's your direction. Once past Kingston it's good again, just a short stretch affected.

We likes Vermont - lovely day - worth getting wet a bit

Excellent Cafe in Bristol popped at the right time.

Best chicken pot pie I've every had - melt in your mouth crust and generous with the filling ( no top so not overloaded with pastry....) all home made local stuff.

http://bristolbakery.com/

New helmet was pushing dowen on my sunglasses so grabbed some breathe right strips and put one on the sunglasses = fixed :D

Last edited:
Holed up at Dear Meadows Motel at Inlet NY - getting too late to push on - too many critters and too tired. Clean - wireless which was a pleasant surprise.

Superb restaurant tho

nice spot to break a bit earlier tonight

Seventh Lake House

Reasonable prices, excellent attention to detail. Two appetizers will do me ....might do a desert. :D

Stuffed with no room for desert.

Crab bisque - a bowl of excellent soup for $4 ( cup is $3)

The Thai lettuce wrap was 3 butter lettuce leaves, a PLATEFUL of thai spiced chicken and fruit in small yummy cubes and a scoop of some sort of noodles
totally a meal on its own

crazy good meal for $20. and that included excellent coffee and a generous Bailey's and tax!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom