Which os for my old desktop? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which os for my old desktop?

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Looking for a bit of advice.My old desktop runs Win XP.It's 12 yrs old and needs an update.All this computer does is surf and store pics.
Any tips on what i should upgrade to and what it will cost me?

Looking for a bit of advice.My old desktop runs Win XP.It's 12 yrs old and needs an update.All this computer does is surf and store pics.
Any tips on what i should upgrade to and what it will cost me?

Try Linux Mint. Free download. Very compatible and easy to use.

iPad for surfing and external hard drive for pics. Or just any basic computer/laptop will do. I bought an overpriced mac desktop and regret it every day. I don't do word processing or video/pic editing or anything in between. Just for surfing the net and storing pics. If I could do it again I would buy a ~400 desktop and that's it

Edit. Oh u meant to upgrade your current battle station. Sorry i mis read. No idea. Windows xp was what I was running before I upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only need to upgrade the OS.There is no need for me to change to an ipad or laptop.Jeeesh,i don't even have a phone with an internet connection.Lots better places to spend my money.

Do you know the specs of the computer? I'm using Mint on an old Athlon 64 rig. Not a single issue.

Do you know the specs of the computer? I'm using Mint on an old Athlon 64 rig. Not a single issue.
It's an amd athlon 64x2dual core 5200+ 2.7ghz,1.87 gb ram.The puter runs fine.But support for Win xp is over and some things like my Garmin gps need me to upgrade.Some websites are not compatible with XP and it takes a long time for them to load.

Last edited:
You should be able to run windows 7-32bit on that rig. You can get an OEM version of 7 from ncix.com or Newegg.ca on sale for $100 or so.

Whoa kids these days... you call that outdated?

I have a 6000+ and after I installed 4GB of ram it doesn't feel old at all.

If you don't want to learn a new OS, Windows 7 for sure. I find it runs well on low power machines. I'm currently using it on a mini-HTPC and old celeron dual core machine and both handle 1080p video like champs (caveat: need a halfway decent video card for that). You can turn off aero effects if necessary to help speed things up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom